Mi-go BS - any defense against it?

If you have enough of them you will lower the temp by a large margin. And yes, ground floor is just about the only place where it’s useful, unless you approach the upper floor from the outside of which there are many convoluted and often unnecessary ways to do so.

I’m not saying to only use coolers, just use them along with your other temp regulation approaches. Going into a mi-go place in winter should also help a little bit.

1 Like

Man, seams like a lot of effort to raid a mi-go base.

The Winter one is a good idea, gonna test that out on the next run.

I’m still a strong proponent of simply mutating medical and going full cenobite pain ecstasy as one method of mitigation.

“A History of Firefighting” has some very useful recipes for your case. But they require Tailoring of 8, Fabrication of 7, a lot of spare Nomex patches, some firefighter clothing (which can be crafted using even more Nomex), not insignificant number of Kevlar plates and lots of other less rare materials. Note that the resulting “survior fireX” items occupy normal or even outer layer.
Bash and cut protections of that kind of gear are fairly weak so this setup is only really good for surviving high temperatures.

A proper full set of everything along with Thermal Dissipation and Internal Climate Control would work even better I reckon.

As far as mutations are concerned I think Bark might help (at least its description says it should), haven’t tested it yet.

1 Like

I’ve got such things to show you!!

1 Like

Doubt it considering that light survivor gear + TD+ICC equals practically zero effect after 3-5 turns inside but will check this out later, thanks.

…oh, if only it was so easy. Just tried it. Smashed all tubes and fronds and whatnot. Thought I just have to wait for some time outside, because I, too

But there’s a catch. Turns out, when you smash those 3 things they leave “scarred lumps”. Now, anemones only emit heat, tubes emit gas and heat, and fronds emit shock bursts. Scarred lumps emit all of those, LMAO. Oh, and they are also unsmashable - checked in furniture-migo.json, they have 250 str_min value for bashing. guess that’s not pure str check, probably str+weapon bash or something but still unreachable except for debugging - so destroying them is effectively impossible (am I missing something?).
Also, air in there heats stupidly fast. What I did: well, I have already smashed all those things so there were only scarred lumps, about 10 or even less lumps scattered on ~20*20 floor. Debug removed all fields from everywhere. Enabled temp map.
-At turn 1, nothing. Air temp is 26C or whatever it was on the outside.
-At turns 2-4, air near SLs was at 110 Celsius and there were some wafts of green smoke near them. Okay, fine, seems fair.
-At turn 5, ALL air became uniform 110(or whatever) Celsius. It went from about 5-10% of air being hot to all 100% of the air being hot instantly, in one flicking turn! So I guess trying this in winter would not help either.
I hope migo temperature patch will come out eventually because in their current state they may as well just have instakill field slapped onto their base’s indoor tiles. I mean, it is technically possible, just absolutely not worth the effort.

Oh, and also. About those prisoners.

{
“type”: “terrain”,
“id”: “t_wall_resin_cage”,
“name”: “resin cage”,
“description”: “This resin wall opens into a series of small honeycomb-like hexagons, allowing the passage of air and light. While still made of the same sturdy material, it is thinner and more delicate in appearance.”,
“symbol”: “#”,
“color”: “dark_gray”,
“move_cost”: 0,
“coverage”: 100,
“roof”: “t_resin_roof”,
“flags”: [ “NOITEM”, “WALL”, “TRANSPARENT”, “INDOORS”, “NONFLAMMABLE”, “MINEABLE” ],
“bash”: {
“str_min”: 70,
“str_max”: 300,
“sound”: “boom!”,
“sound_fail”: “whack!”,
“ter_set”: “t_floor_resin”,
“items”: [ { “item”: “resin_chunk”, “count”: [ 2, 5 ] } ]
}
},

So, to release the prisoners - even assuming they won’t boil instantly from the heat - you are supposed to use mining equipment. Which takes minutes to work. In that heat. Am I reading this right?

3 Likes

I think you may have missed this.

1 Like

That’s what I was talking about: it is still not merged :slight_smile:

Maybe a Sonic Resonator CBM will help/work? According to the Code, it will “only” do 110 damage (thrice per action) though, so I’m not sure.
Other than that… Driving it over with a reinforced tire? Mininuke? Are they draggable? (Nope, just checked the source code)
Use water cannons to cool down the air (fire fighting technique, though I doubt it’s in the game)?

Keep us updated if you find something that works :smiley:

Edit: Oh, I’ve forgot… Causing rubble to fall onto the tile should also destroy it, if it’s really a furniture. Maybe…?

1 Like

Driving is out of question since holding cells are on the 3rd floor, water cannons are present in game but are a vehicle part so that is also a no (and it would just re-heat instantly anyway), and the problem with mininuke is those damn resin cages allow bullets through (almost killed one prisoner with a wild shot) so I guess mininuke, ahem, effect will also go through them and right into prisoners. And the problem with rubble is that everything in there is made from that same un-bashabke resin, so…
Seems like the only thing that could work is indeed a Sonic Resonator. Oh well, guess it’s time to go on butchering spree, thankfully I have found 3 facilities and half dozen labs so far.

e: great, 9935 fixed temperatures! Now the only thing left is pain ray armor ignoring, thankfully it had been acknowledged as a bug.

Pain ray ignoring armour isn’t a bug… pain ray never missing is.

What about pain resistance? I thought it was confirmed here that pain resistance should reduce pain ray effect?

Yes, pain resistance also should work.

I was talking/writing about the heat sources on the ground floor - it may get rid of them forever. It’s not a solution for the higher floors (unless you use @MutaMan’s “approach the upper floor from the outside”… uh… suggestion?), at least not if you want to build a vehicle in the heat of the building.

Again, not planed to being used on the cell floor, unless you want to construct a shield of some type - while slowly melting away in the heat.

Yes, they are in game, but I don’t think that they affect “temperature”, only putting out fires (well, even that doesn’t work very well…) and pushing around critters. And yes, you would need them running the whole time… as it would be done in the real world, too.

The wall you’ve quoted has a lower breaking strength than the scarred lump, so you could bash it down easier (and the sonic resonator would work on the walls/roof-floor for sure). You could also build a wall/window/whatever next to the scarred lump and smash that down (with a coolant assistent, like the mentioned vehicle cooler). Again, this wouldn’t work everywhere, but still, it’s some sort of progress…

Finally remembered to return to it. Well, what can I say… seems the update doesn’t fix already generated towers, it’s still 100+C in there, and even if I remove those fields via map editor, they are just regenerated from those “scarred lumps”.
So I just used debug HVAC mutation… which didn’t do jack shit, I still got slowed to speed 25 and got slow damage applying to all body parts. But eh, whatever, at this point I just activated TD,ICC and nanobots and went forward. Now, the good news: Sonic Resonator actually works! Thank you, @Valase. Sometimes it takes more than one activation for the wall to break but eventually it does break.
And now, the bad news: those NPCs are either dumber than bricks, or bugged. Or maybe they are affected by those buggy stupidly high temperatures. I spoke with each end every one of them(nice shout-out to T2 btw), they are all counted as my followers but they don’t, uh, follow me. They just move back and forth a few tiles on the same floor their cages were, sometime telling each other to get outta their way. I even tried telling them to “move to my camp” via dialogue, they said “okay” and then nothing happened. I though maybe it’s RB issue so I moved waaaay out - nope, they are all listed as being there if I look at the overmap. Still at the same floor, even.
Any ideas how to bring them to my camp?

Sounds like they’re avoiding gas fields, like they do with smoke or poison gas. Try putting a gas mask on one and see if he’ll path through it?

Or, just hack into the walls with explosives or whatnot. If it’s on an upper floor, building could work.

So long as you are interested in the overkill methodology of the Cataclysm.

If their path-finding doesn’t like the Mi-go chambers, then giving them a new route outside it may help.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion of the nature of cold

I think it should be: “We have such sights to show you”. Assuming i got it right where you took it from.
And now I want to watch it again.

Exactly if one cooler does’nt work make a cooler cooler with extra cooler friends abomination

Thats the priciple behind the most powerfull weapon in game, deathmobiles after all, stack things upon things in order to make it run straight through hulks and armoured vehicles.

What composite plating can’t deal with hulks? Add rollers.
(Or shredders if you want to retain offroad capability.)

Vehicle too light to run over forrests and buildings? Add moar armour and double engine it up. Eventually its gonna push through and work. Same as construction span.

2 Likes