Massive and reproducible slowdown (git425255a5)

So, I’m crafting starch with 2 NPCs assisting, when the third one comes down to repair(or something) a vehicle. And then the game slows down from 3s IRL for 5 minutes ingame to 5s IRL for 1s ingame.

Does anyone want the savegame? It’s 54MB.

As stated before, my ethical standards prevent me from using Github.

https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

Not to attack you on your ethical believes, but would you be fine with explain why you still have a GitHub account, even if you didn’t use it in a while?
If I want to boycott something, I usually cut all ties and let the business/organization know why I did it (not that they care about me doing it, but if others do it as well, they might…).

I’ve kept that account for work on proprietary software/paid software work and because my thesis has a link in it to my hardware HDL source hosted there.

To not open endless threads: In this version, the ‘m’ advanced inventory key copies instead of moving.

Still seems a bit weird to me…

Known bug, see:

and it was fixed already:

Still seems a bit weird to me…

You may call me a hypocrite for this, but I cannot make the world a better place if I’m starving in poverty. But I can help make it a better place by refusing to use unethical services in my free time and being vocal about it. Hopefully, that will make other people rethink their views and join me. When there will be enough of us refusing unethical services, the latter will become socially unacceptable/go away and the world will be a better place.

That’s understandable. The world makes hypocrites of us all sooner or later, but that doesn’t change right and wrong. Just because “you do it too” (Tu quoque) doesn’t mean you’re wrong to call something unethical.

Thank you.

There is another issue, that is also in today’s master (git aac9170e): Using NPCs for skill training drains my focus all the way down to 1, while it previously only drained up to 10 points.

I don’t want to strive further from the base topic, but I disagree with that. Trying to make “something go away” usually turns out bad if there’s no replacement; one should always aim to improve existing things and/or suggest good alternatives.
Repeated complaints might just get dull and can result in defiant reactions.

Mostly agreed. Although asking/supporting others to do something one considers unethically - as s-/he did previously - is something that does not fit well into this, at least from my graps of ethics (as in; something so fundamentally flawed that the usage or support of it is never justifiable). Given the circumstances the better term would may be “immoral”?

I’m not sure that this is a bug, this might as well be intended.

and/or suggest good alternatives.

There are replacements for Github: GitLabCE can be self-hosted, and is hosted by many organisations open to outside projects. I use framagit.org for my own projects and salsa.debian.org should also be a good one. But Gitlab is not the only piece of programmer collaboration software, there are also Gogs (e.g. notabug.org, my previous host), Gitea, GNU Savannah (public host at savannah.nongnu.org) and Fedora Pagure, the latter is supposedly what the FSF will provide to the public in the future.

Repeated complaints might just get dull and can result in defiant reactions.

I have not once complained about cdda being on Github. All I ever did was explain why I will not contribute there, when specifically asked to do that.

Although asking/supporting others to do something one considers unethically - as s-/he did previously

If this was aimed at me, then please tell me when I did so.

Yeah, hypocrisy at its best.

You don’t have to use github if you don’t want to, but that doesn’t mean anyone else has to dance around trying to work in your preferred way instead. If you don’t want to contribute there, and thats the projects portal for contributing, then there’s an impass that isn’t just bypassed by using the forums, it just muddies the waters.

Do what you wish, but don’t get angry at others for not being appreciative of you walking in and telling them to work around your restrictions instead of following their process.

1 Like

that doesn’t mean anyone else has to dance around trying to work in your preferred way instead.

I neither expected nor required that of anyone.

it isn’t just bypassed by using the forums

You are free to ignore my threads.

but don’t get angry at others

I’m not angry at anyone. In fact, your response makes it seem that the reverse is true.

of you walking in and telling them to work around your restrictions instead of following their process.

Where am I telling anyone to do anything?

1 Like

This is not the venue for reporting bugs, if you aren’t willing to do that in the appropriate venue, simply refrain from doing so. The overhead of transcribing your bug reports to github is higher than the value of the report.