Make Stethoscope Craftable

So, like abilities? “When activated gives you +5 to safecracking” or something like that?

More like, when you try to crack the safe without the ability, either it forbids you, or you have a near impossible chance of succeeding. Trying to crack with the ability, and you have an 80% chance of succeeding.

Also, maybe have safes spawn frequently in mansions, and occasionally in basements. The mansion safes would be the most difficult(rich people tend to be able to afford the best safes, your local bank not so much), with loot equal to that of a bank, and the safes found in private residences would be easier but with poorer loot.

I think if we’re gonna have drills then the bits need to be a thing that gets wasted in the process. Drills have no damage quality except bashing when they don’t have a bit. You can weapon-mod the drill with a bit to increase the damage that it does and what items you can use it to drill through. For instance, adding a screwdriver bit will give the drill screw driving quality and higher grade drill bits can be used for levels of a non-existent Drilling Quality. If the bit breaks as the result of a failure, it just destroys the mod on the drill.

Drilling should use the Construction skill instead of Mechanics since it’s really a matter of application of the reverse of construction whereas safe-cracking is a direct use of Mechanical knowledge in opening a safe. It’s also not unreasonable to believe that a really secure safe might not be cracked with either and need electronics skill to wire a code-generator or hacker’s PDA to a keypad-based safe. A safe that has a fail-safe to destroy its contents if breached, or rigged with a trap, is a good example.

Yea, tracking a yes/no for having learned specific things is neat, possibly recipes would even have knowledge-based prerequisites? (welding, carving, torch-cutting, soldering)

Booby-trapped safes are a little too Hollywood, but there are safes that can become unopenable if you try to crack it and fail, or if it suffers extreme g-forces.

Something related I’d like to see is being able to use a welder to cut through metal doors and bars. It should trigger a robot alarm if done in certain areas though, to balance it out a little bit.

Come to think of it, why not have panic rooms sometime spawn in mansions? Kinda like a ‘safe room’.

Including multiple empty water bottles and a rotting corpse or pile of bones, naturally.

That would need a cutting torch of some sort, oxy-acetylene or plasma, since our current ‘welder’ is some sort of battery-powered MIG welder that magically produces its own filler wire (and shield gas or flux) from thin air batteries.

Welders stick metal together, cutting tools cut it apart.

I thought it was the same tool, just different configurations, especially considering that (in game at least) car parts can be removed with it and a hacksaw. Maybe require an oxygen tank with charges to cut things?

If you’re thinking of an oxy-acetylene welding/cutting torch setup, then yes they’re basically the same thing with different tips, but the DDA one is an electric, so it’s either MIG or TIG - though you can’t generally run those off of batteries IRL.

I thought it was like a stick welder that also used the batteries as sticks, also the batters are like micro fusion fuel for a mini nuclear reactor.

I’ve always assumed it to be something like a MIG welder since there are no electrodes in DDA, and most folks I know seem to have this Hollywood idea of how welders work (you hold this pistol-thing near the metal and sparks fly out and things get magically welded together) so I’ve always figured DDA’s welders work on similar rules.

If it were a SMAW system I’d expect it to require electrodes in addition to power-input at the very least, since they’re such an integral component of the system that even an untrained person can plainly see - but the wire in a MIG gun isn’t exactly super-visible, so I can excuse people not knowing about it.

See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/207
I’d like to see them work more realistically, just haven’t gotten around to it.