Safe cracking

I have never seen a stethoscope in game but you need one to crack those safes. Where can you find them? I have looked a lot in doctors offices, labs, and hospitals.

It’s there. You just were unlucky and it didn’t spawn.

In the absence of a stethoscope, you could also get more creative and use a jackhammer and/or high explosives to rip open the safe.

I take no responsibility for broken gear or loss of limbs resulting from this.

Safes? Where do I find safes?

Stethoscopes can be most reliably found in hospitals, but they also have a chance to spawn in doctor’s offices. I think the medical resident profession starts with one too.

In bank vaults.

Safes are all over the place. Offices, basements…

I’ve always just smacked safes with a sledge hammer. This can damage the contents but that seams a lot better than using explosives. (You might need decent strength to do this. I don’t know.)

Its rarity is quite maddening. Could a craftable version be viable? A makeshift device of 2-3 rubber tubes, scrap metal/funnel, ear plugs?

I believe the reason that it’s so rare is because of balance. The stethoscope the only way to open a safe without damaging its contents, and those safes contain a lot of good stuff.

I have never seen a stethoscope in game but you need one to crack those safes. Where can you find them? I have looked a lot in doctors offices, labs, and hospitals.
Actually there are two places where they spawn: 1. Hospitals 2. NPCs

My God-tier character managed to get a stethoscope by buying from random NPC. That’s common error that many think they spawn in doctor offices. Unfortunately they never spawn there (look at JSON file). Hospitals can be spawned all over the place or (it happened to my character) nearly nowhere, like really, you have to scroll 10-15 SCREENS of [m]ap-screen to find one puny hospital which might have no stethoscope.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:11, topic:6822”]

Actually there are two places where they spawn:

1. Hospitals
  2. NPCs

My God-tier character managed to get a stethoscope by buying from random NPC. That’s common error that many think they spawn in doctor offices. Unfortunately they never spawn there (look at JSON file). Hospitals can be spawned all over the place or (it happened to my character) nearly nowhere, like really, you have to scroll 10-15 SCREENS of [m]ap-screen to find one puny hospital which might have no stethoscope.[/quote]

They are also found in Doctor’s Offices. Have found them there more than one time.

Just use a bomb that has a Chinese fuse (reference). Otherwise where is any of the fun?

They are also found in Doctor's Offices. Have found them there more than one time.
No matter how many Doctor Offices I raided I never found even one stethoscope. Then I opened JSON file and found that they spawn ONLY in hospitals. Maybe this was fixed after I stopped playing Cata, along with "no power armor helmets" bug I wrote a while ago.

If you want to smoke crack safely go to a basement.

I just now found my first stethoscope in a doctor’s office

I purposely throwing a plank to a drawer and destroyed with it, and there’s a safe behind it.

Best way to get a stethoscope is to start as a burglar