Killed my "Friend", so depressed

I started a new game of the latest windows version (0.A Kaufman) with NPC’s enabled. I convinced one of them to be my buddy.

He then starts picking up various loot from my stockpile and I freak out and gun the thief down.

Now I suffer -375 morale, which has declined to -368 after about a week. Prozac barely helps. Is there a way to get rid of this at all? (Really don’t care if cheating is required, I would’ve been more careful if I had known you could get these penalties for so long.)

Thanks!

Try debugging the psychopath trait. Or start a new char and take the psycho trait. If your gonna have NPCs it’s best to have it.

Good advice for the future. Unfortunately debugging it in doesn’t help with the current morale penalties. Any suggests on how to mitigate such severe penalties?

Get as many morale boosting stuff you can get and wait it out.
or
press Q and start over.

KILL MORE FRIENDS! You will eventually become a hardened [size=2pt]dorf[/size] warrior who has no need for FEELINGS.

…probably. Maybe.

Cola, the answer is cola (and beer!). Gather as many cola as you can and chuck them down, read some fun books if you have any and the morale boost should counter the penalty somewhat.

But normally such big morale penalty can only be relieved by waiting it out.

Like many other of lifes problems, heroin is probably the fix you need.

Scavenge as much food and water as you can since you can’t craft your own, get an mp3 player, a portable game system and a bunch of cannabis, and hole up somewhere playing robot finds kitten, listening to music and smoking cannabis for however long it takes for the penalty to wane. If it does. I’ve never had it that low, so I don’t know how broken the recovery code is at that point.

From what I’ve seen, NPC killing moral hits take absolutely forever to recover from, so you’re gonna need a lot of weed.

That or you eat him and go on a murderspree on the local wildlife population.

Alternatively, if it’s broken beyond recovery in game, you can edit your .sav file. Navigate to your gamedir/save/worldname and you should see a file called “#(random jumble of crap).sav”. Open it with something like notepad++ and find the “morale” field, it’ll look something like this:

“morale”:[{“age”:4,“bonus”:-320,“decay_start”:30,“duration”:60,“type_enum”:9}],

though the numbers will be different of course. Replace it with this:

“morale”:[],

Make a backup before you do this if you aren’t confident, obviously.

You’re better off rolling with it in game if you can, however - you might find that a cripplingly low morale doesn’t make it as difficult to get by as you imagined. Or you might find it agonising. Either way, it makes for a more interesting story than “and then I edited my save game to fix it”.

Rogue hits jimboblordofeskimos with a newspaper. NO, IDIOT, the fix is some delicious food, good books and a portable game device.

Or just don’t leave NPCs in your base. Blast the faggots and eat them.

Or throw them in your car, far, far away from your shit.

When I get particularly low morale I generally get drunk, high on cocaine/cannabis/caffeine, then activate my metabolic interchange and gorge on a bunch of candy, chocolate, and junk food while listening to music and playing video games, I don’t really have problems with morale after I get a decent stockpile.

If you can’t do all these things, you should probably just dive into the abyss and wander around murdering zombie children and other NPCs to harden yourself to the harsh cataclysmic lifestyle.
Afterwards you’ll never feel sad about being a psychopath again, but you’ll still hate reading technical books and getting wet.

@Werling do you officially get a Psycho trait, is there a statistic in the save, or are you pulling my tail?

I know that if you kill a huge number of zombie children you stop getting guilty about it, but I’m not sure if that counts for NPCs or not as I haven’t been playing with them.

Poptarts. Poptarts are the answer.

Strawberry ones have +25 morale, eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Until you run out of poptarts and have poptart withdrawls. :stuck_out_tongue: kidding

What I always do is DRUGS! DRUGS TILL THE HEART EXPLODES!

If you can’t get any of the above, strip your character nude, empty a house of resources (to avoid wasting them), then set the house on fire with you in it. It’s much more interesting than the suicide button and it will provide a lovely story for the other NPCs
"Did you see that? That guy that gunned down Ted just ripped off all his clothes and set that house on fire!"
“What’s wrong with that guy?”
“I don’t know, but he just ran inside!”

[quote=“Beck, post:1, topic:5699”]I started a new game of the latest windows version (0.A Kaufman) with NPC’s enabled. I convinced one of them to be my buddy.

He then starts picking up various loot from my stockpile and I freak out and gun the thief down.

Now I suffer -375 morale, which has declined to -368 after about a week. Prozac barely helps. Is there a way to get rid of this at all? (Really don’t care if cheating is required, I would’ve been more careful if I had known you could get these penalties for so long.)

Thanks![/quote]
That seems superfluous, even after killing your friend. A week of complete incapacity is way too long. This should be fixed.