Kickstarter Thread - The Kickstarter is being fulfilled

[quote=“Dzlan, post:14, topic:1854”]Whats this about Auckland, NZ at the top right? Are you guys actually here in New Zealand??? In Auckland?
My mate showed me and we are very curious…
What does that mean?[/quote]

Nice one so far, already almost half way. I’ve been watching and testing development of this game right from the moment I heard of it.

When I first saw the kickstarter it sounded like you were trying to monitize a free game. Now I see you are trying to higher someone to get some work done full time. I’ll donate tonight or tomorrow. Probably at the $40 range. How do I send in the diagram of the house I want? What tool do you want it delivered in?

you should probably start a new thread on bay12games about this kickstarter. The Cataclysm DDA is so long many people wont notice it. you might want to put it on some other gaming/rogue like forums as well.

Who is Clever Ravin, the creator of the kickstarter on these forums?
Can you post info about the 2 developers you are working with and what there experience level is?
how long will they work on this?

$7000 is not much of a salary. How long will they work for this? What country is this person in? Is this person an existing modder? You should post the developers bio (you can leave out full names , locations, employer names), but more info might get more people.

I actually did start a seperate thread on the Bay12 forum - people seem insistent on reading it and then responding in the other one, so it keeps getting buried.

Details of the house plan are whatever is convenient for you, basically. We’ve got a limited enough number of slots that we’ll contact you by e-mail afterwards to work it out. Any image should be fine, or even a clear textual description (image would be better).

Clever Raven is the development group associated with the game - It’s composed of myself, Kevin Granade, and Ethan Kaminski, who’s full-time hire is the primary goal of the Kickstarter. Kevin is an engineer at an aeronautical company who’s probably our most dedicated coder and has been working on Cataclysm since back in the Whales days, and Ethan is a freelance developer who’s been working in the industry for a while and has contributed to the project for several months - his name is Soron on github. If something happens to Soron, GalenEvil is our backup and he’s prepared to take over, he’s contributed to the game for a while. I’ll be working on getting a full bio for everyone out as an update sooner rather than later, and you’ll be able to see far more about all these people (and myself)

$7000 is, indeed, not much - but it’s for 3 months of development time, so it’s certainly livable. The stretch goals will hopefully get us up to a year if we hit them all, but our initial aims are a bit lower.

Yeah, thanks for that thread, I just had 20$ laying around which I wanted to spend on some stupid game. Now they did not go to waste!

“You can tell a lot about a man by what games he’s backed on Kickstarter” - Clayton

Halfway there! Woot!

Holy crap I did not think this many people would be seeing my silly doodles. Or that they’d actually be part of something important. Colour me surprised.

But that’s not why I’m here!

My friend Kelly Tsvahl gave us a shout-out on the news tab of her webcomic Under the Dead Skies!! (don’t mind the NSFW warning, that’s there for gorey zombie violence). I didn’t ask her to do this, but she loves the game a TON and wanted to help share. I thought it only fair I give her a little signal boost too. With any luck, zombie fans can meet zombie fans for both fandom group’s benefits.

Oh no!!! a webcomic!

Pthalocy uses web comic reference, it’s super effective.

readreadreadreadreadreadread…

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:23, topic:1854”]I actually did start a seperate thread on the Bay12 forum - people seem insistent on reading it and then responding in the other one, so it keeps getting buried.

Details of the house plan are whatever is convenient for you, basically. We’ve got a limited enough number of slots that we’ll contact you by e-mail afterwards to work it out. Any image should be fine, or even a clear textual description (image would be better).

Clever Raven is the development group associated with the game - It’s composed of myself, Kevin Granade, and Ethan Kaminski, who’s full-time hire is the primary goal of the Kickstarter. Kevin is an engineer at an aeronautical company who’s probably our most dedicated coder and has been working on Cataclysm since back in the Whales days, and Ethan is a freelance developer who’s been working in the industry for a while and has contributed to the project for several months - his name is Soron on github. If something happens to Soron, GalenEvil is our backup and he’s prepared to take over, he’s contributed to the game for a while. I’ll be working on getting a full bio for everyone out as an update sooner rather than later, and you’ll be able to see far more about all these people (and myself)

$7000 is, indeed, not much - but it’s for 3 months of development time, so it’s certainly livable. The stretch goals will hopefully get us up to a year if we hit them all, but our initial aims are a bit lower.[/quote]

OK, that kinda helps. But what happened to TDW??

TDW is still around, just really busy lately. He said he’ll probably return to regular contributions once things calm down a bit for him.

[quote=“LazyCat”]Le sigh. This is not a place fo you to advertise or insult people. Technically, no place on this forum is the place for the second.
-GlyphGryph

I don’t believe you.

It’s beyond me how did you ever get other contributors to go along with this shameless stunt and why would anyone give you their free time and still contribute after this, but I can tell you my contributions were a gift for everyone, not for you to take the credit or make money with.

You are selling what was gifted, it’s like taking money from a charity basket.

You don’t have my permission to use any of my code for any kind of money related scams like this, and if it was not for me your game would still be glitching instead of animating, remember? You dragged those most insane and embarrassing bugs for years and you still can’t fix the simplest of things even after I told you exactly what and where the problems are. So how do you find appropriate to be promising any new features when your game is still randomly freezing and crashing, when you are unable to sort out the bugs in even the most basic and essential parts of the code? How can you promise smarter NPCs when you can not even stop them from crashing the game? How can you promise improved z-levels when you can not even make monsters use stairs properly?

For the last several releases you somehow managed to increase the number of bugs, breaking even those things which were working before. On the other hand, and in the same time, I not only fixed all the bugs, but also rigorously tested, polished and balanced everything to work properly to the smallest details, plus made the game many times faster and smoother, implemented music and sound effects, above ground z-levels and added many other amazing new features, in-game actions and game-play mechanics making whole of the game not only working properly but also richer, more interesting, more tactical, and immensely more enjoyable to play.

I could also make in less than a week, if not just a day, any other of your hopeful dreams that were promised, and I’d do it for free, again many times better than all the money in this world could help Soron, or any one of you clueless wannabe developers, to ever make. So it doesn’t really compute why should anyone give you any money for something that is not yours and is so annoyingly broken it’s barely playable despite all the time and futile efforts you have already wasted in it. I don’t see any reason why would anyone even still play that broken build or place their hopes in an empty promise when there is this available right now and it’s for free:[/quote]

LazyCat, donating to the Kickstarter is optional for people wanting to support the game. No one is obligated to pay money, but a lot of people are willing to. Please don’t insult people, we’re all friends here and I think that everyone could get further ahead by working with each other instead of fighting.

Edited to remove the advertisement in the quote at least.

Re Homesteader: Are those restricted to “houses”, or can they be anything?

(Uh, if I can’t have the Combat Monster running around, I’d at least like to update his Lab base to modern spec and let players find it…not sure whether leaving a corpse would be worthwhile.)

They should be “homes”, but we’re interpreting that very loosely.

OK, thanks.

I would like to call dibs on making my ‘home’ be a small apartment over a chinese resturaunt! I’ll be donating soon.

tile sets are gonna be awesome and I think it’s gonna be available as an option so you can play with ASCII or Tile set. already past 50% mark Kickstarter is doing great.

Okay I just dropped my $40 into the ‘HUNTER Tier’ slot on Kickstarter. I’m still not entirely clear on what all the ‘reward’ part means, or how it’s supposed to be followed through.

Anybody know how that works?

[quote=“Rivet, post:37, topic:1854”]Okay I just dropped my $40 into the ‘HUNTER Tier’ slot on Kickstarter. I’m still not entirely clear on what all the ‘reward’ part means, or how it’s supposed to be followed through.

Anybody know how that works?[/quote]

Once NPCs work correctly, you’ll get to design one that’ll show up in the game.

Then she’ll be the coolest NPC of them all!

She better be.
7 feet tall, 200 pounds of pure muscle. They call her the Murder Machine.