Kickstarter Thread - The Kickstarter is being fulfilled

Like myself, that Toady is getting older :expressionless: I know that plenty of people will pick it up after he’s gone, and he’s got a good future framework laid out, but its still a scary thought :stuck_out_tongue:

On one hand is Dwarf Fortress, on the other is Masterwork Dwarf Fortress, which is growing pretty quickly itself :expressionless: Lots of content there… Shows what kind of growth can happen when you allow the community in :slight_smile: And it may be unbalanced a bit, but its generally pretty stable…

Please stop responding to the troll. Troll posts and responses will all be deleted.

Kickstarter seems to be progressing fine and dandy! Keep up the nice work.

I like how you can make oatmeal and deluxe oatmeal now, that alone is worth nine grand to me.

I’m liking all the wildlife that’s been expanded since this ks started. Certainly makes forest adventuring comparable to cities for creature variety now!

I just killed and ate a cat.

I was expecting more morale penalties for that. HUNTING IS AWESOME.

The only thing that has been bugging me since forever is how killing zombie children gives you a morale penalty, but butchering them doesn’t. Opening a child with a knife and slicing it up should give a big hit on your morale/sanity.
Anyways, I loved all the previous updates, and Im hoping for more :smiley: Good job devs, keep it coming!

[quote=“100Rads, post:366, topic:1854”]The only thing that has been bugging me since forever is how killing zombie children gives you a morale penalty, but butchering them doesn’t. Opening a child with a knife and slicing it up should give a big hit on your morale/sanity.
Anyways, I loved all the previous updates, and Im hoping for more :smiley: Good job devs, keep it coming![/quote]

Gotta agree there, but it makes me laugh…

Yeahhhhh, I’m gonna ask in irc about getting that changed up - half the penalty comes through killing, larger chunk through butchering maybe.

Ugh how nasty would that be? -100 now? Or have to kill this kid like three times down the road and add up -150 as I go 'cause I refuse to butcher the things?

Hahaha wow, children are evil in this game but damn.

Maybe just burn the children…

That would certainly save the tedium of chugging chocolate bars between butcherings. My idea was functionally terrible lol. Maybe if the morale penalty as it is now was just split 50/50 between kills and butcherings.

Anyone want diabetes as a negative trait?

You will require insulin and cannot eat many high sugar foods. Maybe add a flag for “sugar”?

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:371, topic:1854”]Anyone want diabetes as a negative trait?

You will require insulin and cannot eat many high sugar foods. Maybe add a flag for “sugar”?[/quote]

Uhh… i am diabetic and i don’t need insulin. I depend on diet. There are 2 types of diabetes.

I wouldn’t be willing to put in diabetes unless it was fairly accurate, and that would be pretty complicated.

Hmm. Touche. And yeah, I know that there’s two kinds of diabetes (Biomed class ftw) but I thought a general one might be simpler :stuck_out_tongue:

Regarding zombie kids and the moral penalty they give for being killed, I’ve given a little bit of thought to some alternative options. Sorry if this has already been brought up before, but I’d like to share my two cents.

1. Killing zombie children doesn’t incur a moral penalty, but butchering them, alongside other corpses of humans, and maybe former pets too, zombie or not, would be the cause of the moral penalty. If I lived in the world of Cata:DDA, I’d personally feel a sense of ease knowing that I’ve had the once-living bodies of children who had their lives interrupted by the cataclysm put down, but butchering them so they don’t get back up again, alongside other former people and pets, would definitely be something I’d have trouble coming to terms with. That, and butchering zombies would likely be really disgusting too.
2. Have the moral penalty diminish over time, as you grow more detached from the old world and more accustomed to humanity’s last days. This could possibly work well with the first option I presented.
3. Haven’t thought about this one as much, but maybe an “Apathetic” trait could be added?

I like how Call of Cthulu handles sanity loss, when faced with the same horror repeatedly - you eventually can’t incur further damage, it’s stopped being novel, strange, etc. Some kind of die-off might be more appropriate for butchering kidzombies, even if just for one session of butcherings (like clearing out a school).
[size=8pt]
I’ll have to think on this further too. I realize most people don’t really think of fish as loveable the way dogs and cats are, but, on the flipside, I’ve actually had to put down and butcher (for autopsy’s sake) my own pet fish to figure out what it was that had my tank sick (turned out to be callamanus worms. don’t google that.)[/size] I can tell you with absolute certainty, you get better at it, and you get a lot less upset as the utilitarian function of it quickly offers itself up as a means of rationalizing the upsetting process.

An apathetic (or jaded or hardened - some similar word) trait might be more realistically earned rather than bought at game start, but it’s definitely something of use if we go making more zombie-knife interactions incur morale drops.

“This survivor is getting used to death”
“This survivor doesn’t really care about anything anymore”

etc… I don’t remember all of them.

This survivor is TOO BUSY SURVIVING TO FEEL SAD ABOUT DEAD STUFF.

Idk either. I think this is a cue I need to post when I’m not saddled with a lack of sleep XD

[quote=“Harold Lovell, post:375, topic:1854”]Regarding zombie kids and the moral penalty they give for being killed, I’ve given a little bit of thought to some alternative options. Sorry if this has already been brought up before, but I’d like to share my two cents.

1. Killing zombie children doesn’t incur a moral penalty, but butchering them, alongside other corpses of humans, and maybe former pets too, zombie or not, would be the cause of the moral penalty. If I lived in the world of Cata:DDA, I’d personally feel a sense of ease knowing that I’ve had the once-living bodies of children who had their lives interrupted by the cataclysm put down, but butchering them so they don’t get back up again, alongside other former people and pets, would definitely be something I’d have trouble coming to terms with. That, and butchering zombies would likely be really disgusting too.[/quote]
Yea, interested in adding this.

This quietly slipped into the experimentals a few days ago. The guilt penalty degrades linearly until you’ve killed 100 of the guilt-causing monster, at which point it no longer causes guilt.

Possibly, now that guilt decays with exposure, we might spread it around a bit more, making such a trait worthwhile.

Ohhh, this sounds promising. Dark, and promising.