It happens

Post here your situations, when you are basically doomed and not able to do anything to evade your horrible fate. Or those situations where you COULD evade it, but didn’t do important actions at right time.

In short: “you’ve just made fatal error” situations.

This horrible fate doesn’t have to be death and stuff like that.

Once a time, there were times when I didn’t know Marloss Berries make fungal floor when you eat them. I knew about bushes, but not floor. More specifically - I didn’t know this floor is so goddamn flammable. When I’d seen this effect first time, I was so excited like “Oh, nice thing”. I didn’t expect this shit is SO FLAMMABLE. Then, while I was wondering somewhere (don’t remember where, somewhere in the city), I noticed I am both Very Hungry and Very Thirsty. I ate my Marloss Berry, which fulfilled me, but I still was thirsty. I took some water from the nearest toilet and decided to clear it. What a nice set of conditions that was. I just had to (OUGHT TO) make a fire on this goddamn floor which replaced ground and grass and had gas mask (or filter mask, I don’t recall this moment). I happily chose to craft “Clean water” and what do you think?
“Ouch, you were hurt!”. I chose to continue crafting because that had happened often because of ambient temperature (standing near fire is a bad thing). I kept doing that before I noticed THAT. I am on fire. I was ready to just scream one awesome word, but I resisted that urge by emitting sound “FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF~”. If only I’d chosen “NO” when it promted me.

My character is to OP for such situations to arise, sadly. :frowning:

My character is to OP for such situations to arise, sadly. :(

My current character reached godhood. How many Atarabashi Nihondzins died before they did that?

Mi-Gos.

Charlotte, my best character ever, was basically a contender for sith lord idol. She could turn an entire army of robots to scrap with her lightning, and snipe zombies several blocks away with her fingers.

Then she met a triffid queen. It stopped her 200 mph car dead in its tracks, and then proceeded to shoot a tree through her gut (did almost no damage). Feeling mildly annoyed, she decided to chain lightning this annoying plant to death.

Did you know cars conduct electricity? Yeah, I probably should have too…

Burning corpses before learning that fire can spread onto clothing lying on the floor.

Fighting a flamethrower-wielding NPC (“it’s just a simple flamethrower, what’s the worst that could happen?”).

Attacking a tank drone in melee and getting blasted with its flamethrower.

You could easily die even if you instantly stepped out of the fire.
Standing in raging fire deals 9 to 12 dmg per turn. “onfire” effect deals 3 dmg per turn to each bodypart. You get 5 turns of “onfire” per 1 turn of standing in raging fire. Raging fire causes a lot of pain and can destroy storage items, so that 1 turn you spend in it can actually be 2 or 3 turns.
A single action spent in a raging fire can cost you 80 hp.

Back quite a few versions ago in the days of the 52 item limit my character stumbled into a cave. If it had been a bear cave sure no problem for my crossbow but no it was rats. My thoughts at the time were “Oh rats no big deal they’re rats how bad can they be.” Well it was a lot of rats who were coming far faster than I could kill them with my single shot crossbow.

I leanred a valuable lesson about the weight of numbers and the value of reliable side arms that day.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:6, topic:8489”]Burning corpses before learning that fire can spread onto clothing lying on the floor.

Fighting a flamethrower-wielding NPC (“it’s just a simple flamethrower, what’s the worst that could happen?”).

Attacking a tank drone in melee and getting blasted with its flamethrower.

You could easily die even if you instantly stepped out of the fire.
Standing in raging fire deals 9 to 12 dmg per turn. “onfire” effect deals 3 dmg per turn to each bodypart. You get 5 turns of “onfire” per 1 turn of standing in raging fire. Raging fire causes a lot of pain and can destroy storage items, so that 1 turn you spend in it can actually be 2 or 3 turns.
A single action spent in a raging fire can cost you 80 hp.[/quote]Granted, in my experience, flame resistant underclothes helps significantly. Keeping them in good condition is rather difficult however, if you are an aspiring tailor, definitely make repairs whenever it i “Torn” or “Ripped” so you do not waste nomex. Reinforcing it can be hella helpful too.
Also would be worth saying that they would have spent one turn in Small Fire due to the time it takes to spread, i think.

Meanwhile, i can recall a time i lost a fairly well off midgame character by assuming swat armor would save me versus a hulk.
We need some kevlar-level (even if light kevlar) light encumbrance high coverage arm wear.
Best i can ussually find is either turnout coat (great coverage and fireproof, but nasty torso encumbrance) or metal arm guards (encumbering and poor coverage).

Fresh YASD: Having Thermal Dissipation CBM and RM13 combat armor won’t help you if you are lit on fire.

Oh I’ve had a lot of those.

One time I was on my suped-up moped, cruising around a city, not paying attention, and I somehow got myself within firing range of a tank-bot at a road block. My moped exploded and I was dead before I hit the floor.

Another time I was speeding across a bridge in a supercar, going 2fast2furious. Next thing I know, I collide with a small van and am sent flying through the guard rail and into the river. I drowned because I was wearing a military rucksack.

Another time I was wearing full Survivor Firesuit gear, and thought, “I’m fireproof now!” And promptly fired a flamethrower at my feet. Woo.

Lastly, I just spawned, went out to gather some wood for crafting after talking to my good ol pal, NPC No. 88248271. When I came back, my good ol’ pal was replaced by a mangled corpse and a happy ZomBear. This is why you don’t leave the door open kids.

Starting character with no melee skills or armor + skeleton + a lot of confidence + a dust mask I mistakenly (w)ielded instead of (W)ore.

WHY WON’T YOU DIE!!!

Back in the days of 0.9 I had a pretty decent character and had survived for almost a year. I don’t know what impulsed me to (s)mash a gas station with a sledgehammer, but let’s just say he’s no more.

Breaking into that third house in search of a screwdriver proved fatal, as I strayed too close to the front window, and into the sights of a chicken walker.

Most recently, I spawnedin an evac shelter right next to a triffid grove. That one didn’t last five minutes, a mi-go was hanging out outside the shelter too.

Had a Mi-go spawn(with the usuall mangled corpses nearby) right next to my evac shelter. Knew from the map that directly to the west would be zombie filled as it was basically right next to the city so I went out of the eastern side, right into view of the mi-go. Well at least I didn’t lose too much time on that save.

Raiding a Lab, and find that a Shoggoth was waiting for me… Somehow managed to kill it though but died from the flaming eye that was also there shooting it’s beam and causing rubble to fall on me. Should have gotten out when I had the chance… And I just learnt how to make the Flintlock Rifle & Carbine.

I just remembered, one of the worst (But most amusing) decisions I ever made was actually complying with a police bot’s demands for me to submit to arrest. It didn’t doom me, but I did have to spend a good couple of hours with electronic handcuffs on me, being harassed by robots spraying me with pacifying gas.

[quote=“Chaz, post:16, topic:8489”]I just remembered, one of the worst (But most amusing) decisions I ever made was actually complying with a police bot’s demands for me to submit to arrest. It didn’t doom me, but I did have to spend a good couple of hours with electronic handcuffs on me, being harassed by robots spraying me with pacifying gas.[/quote]If you get the Electroshock Unit CBM, handcuffs that are placed on you are near instantly fried.
This is useful because you can continue to pretend wielding them, and neither riot or cop bots will attack you.

I believe that the Electrical Discharge faulty CBM also does this whenever it randomly goes off. I discovered that the hard way.

So i ringed a luxury RV with loads of frames and steel plating, and installed a bunch of cool things inside, right? I had an entourage of NPC allies who were willing to board my vehicle with me. Turns out none of them wanted to sit in my readily available 5 point harness seats. Shouldn’t be much of a problem, right?
Fast forward to me doing 90 mph in a field when i hit the handbrakes to avoid oncoming forest. I did not crash, rather the moment i hit the brakes, every single NPC was smashed from the back of my RV through the front, mutilating every frame and object they flew through before promptly being caught underneayh what was left of my RV. Needless to say, i mourned the death of my FOODCO kitchen buddy grimly.
Locks her rv and leaves out a little cardvoard sign with the words “No NPCs allowed” scribbled in in survivor marker"

I know, right? Where the hell are you going to find another vacuum sealer?