Is there any interest in... A Pseudo-Isometric tileset? [NEW TILES!]

[center][/center]

A few caveats: What’s seen above is NOT a complete tileset, or even made into a tileset yet, and it is far from as pretty as i could make it if i was sure it was going to be used. What it IS however, is proof of concept, made with 32x32 blocks that COULD be made into a tileset, if there is enough interest that it’s worth the effort to expand multi-tile pattern handling to use

Pictured above was an experiment… Was it possible to make a tileset that gave the buildings a sense of height? And i think it does. The problem is Cataclysm’s usage of tilesets is not quite complicated enough to do that (Not yet anyway… :slight_smile: )

[size=14pt]CURRENT EXAMPLES: (Your opinions are welcome, requested even!)[/size]

Current Metal Wall (Help me pick?)

Current Concrete Wall (Improvements?)

Current Basic Wall (Opinions?)

Current Palisade, Glass, Fortified Glass (ignore last one)

Current Fungal Walls:

Current Log-wall:

So what I want to ask people here is… Would you consider using a tileset that made something like the above image? Would you like to see a more polished version? And just possibly, is there anyone else willing to get their hands dirty with me, seeing how hard it would be to implement the pattern recognition neccesary to find corners, tell horizontal walls from vertical ones, and find the outer North/West walls

[quote=“Ice-o-metric, post:1, topic:5772”]Pictured above was an experiment… Was it possible to make a tileset that gave the buildings a sense of height? And i think it does. The problem is Cataclysm’s usage of tilesets is not quite complicated enough to do that (Not yet anyway… :slight_smile: )

So what I want to ask people here is… Would you consider using a tileset that made something like the above image? Would you like to see a more polished version?[/quote]
Definitely.

We do corner-finding, horizontal vs vertical walls are encoded into the underlying data, and we already tag inside vs outside tiles. I might be missing something about “outer North/West walls”, but as far as I know we have all the information you need for fixed-perspective isometric tiles, we just need to expose a bit more of it to the tile rendering code.

This is too cute not to wookie a YAY @ it…

yay, even if i hate GUIsh eye-candism,
eai

Is that 64x64?
Pretty sharp to come up with it. I’m just not sure if I’d conform with ZeldaMangaTheta design if I was to play the tileset. Look for screenshots related to Times of Lore, and I mean at least - this is a dark, apocalyptic game, judging by its best traits.

I’d be more than interested in using it if such a thing was made.

I don’t know if I would use it but I would try it and probably do a video of it.

That depends on what you mean… It’s actually 32x32, but blown up to 200% to better showcase it :-p …So, Yes, but no?

Pardon my mistake, the southmost outer walls and the westmost outer walls. I Just pictured the rules i was mentally working with going like so:

If we can tell internal from external that’s half the work, and if corners are detected that’s most of the work we just need to be able to tell a north facing outer wall from a south facing outer wall, etc.

Is there any interest in... An Isometric (style) tileset?

Yes!

An isometric tileset would be the bee’s knees!

Glad to hear you are Excited, Rivet… i just wanna quickly check one thing about your wording. I can’t imagine you responded without looking at the first post so i apologise if this sounds stupid :-p

I need to check: You’re aware this isn’t an “actual” isometric tileset (which uses diamond shapes instead of sqaures and would involve significantly reworking the controls not to mention the way Cataclysm renders)… so much as it is Isometric-inspired style, using square tiles that bear a slight resemblance to tilted isometric tiles?

Sorry if i come off as some kind of pedantic ass saying that, i just don’t want to get people’s hopes up unneccesarily, ya know? A PROPER isometric tile mod WOULD be the Bee’s Knees and several other improbably wonderful animal’s parts :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ice-o-metric, post:8, topic:5772”]Pardon my mistake, the southmost outer walls and the westmost outer walls. I Just pictured the rules i was mentally working with going like so:
[/quote]
I don’t think you made a mistake, I was just slow to understand. The image illustrates it perfectly.

We’re big fans of pedantry around here, no problem at all. Possibly call it “pseudo isometric”?

‘Psuedo isometric’ is a good idea… I had just started thinking maybe ‘Isometric style’ was not completely obvious. Is it possible for someone to change the title of a thread they started? (Apparently Yes!)

If it looks good, it looks good.

Why quarrel over nomenclature?

In theory you could even write an isometric graphical visualizer in which you control the game. C:DDA just runs in back and takes it’s input from there.

Possibilities are endless.

Think of ‘Project:Zomboid’ as turn-based with C:DDA in background.

It would be called Zombiesense.

You're aware this isn't an "actual" isometric tileset (which uses diamond shapes instead of sqaures and would involve significantly reworking the controls not to mention the way Cataclysm renders)...
In theory you could even write an isometric graphical visualizer in which you control the game. C:DDA just runs in back and takes it's input from there.

Possibilities are endless.

Just thinking of such, or deciding “if” to do it? :slight_smile:
I believe you all got to see N0TEye and what it could do if put to good use. No need to strip the project, only improve on the existing solution and make good, solid decision on the type of renderer.
@IceoMetric >> I fear it’s not only the triangular-shaped tiles, it’s the third dimension @ whole. You’d want up to 8 different images for the character “sprite” - or just representation, if you wish, and even diagonal-placed structures such as buildings, lighting eventually… so pretty much everything, if you think it over.
Isometric beats the jellybeans out of top-down and is not hard at all to come up with, but if you want to wrap up a dark, post-apocalyptic setting in it you have to pick it up a couple of notches up from Zelda. Coding the framework only is perhaps a ton easier than using libtcod to its full extent.

There was a thing CIB made…

@vultures >> You might want to, but you wouldn’t “have” to… The human brain is actually pretty forgiving when it comes to low grade graphics (it’s only as you approach the uncanny valley that it starts to become unreasonably picky) you could for instance, probably get allong surprisingly well with 3 sprites, a Left-facing (for NW, W & SW moves) a right-facing (NE, E & SE), and one facing away (For North moves)… What about South moves? Either the left or the right will do. Yes, seriously… Because both sprites have their face towards us we don’t have a problem with it coming towards us

Of course since I haven’t messed around with this i don’t know if multiple character sprites are supported (I’ve only been PLAYING C:dda for like 2 weeks now). Someone want to illuminate me? Kevin maybe?

Definitely would love to see this and I’d like to use it as well.

How about a lower overhead view instead of pseudo-isometry? I.e. no view of the “side” walls, just the front/back. Pseudo-isometry with side walls just looks skewed.