Is the human race able to survive Cataclysm?

Barren waste lands are survivable.

Giant locus are survivable, edible and once humanity has seen them once, a quotative factor that can be dealt with. They’ll soon die out anyway if what you say about their eating habits is true.

As for more advanced zombies? program them in and I’ll tell you what I think, I’ve only got what information is available right now to work with but unless you are literally making them invincible then they can be survived too and humanity would have a vested interest in learning about and finding ways to deal with new strains of zombies.

As for the planet “dying”, with the technology we currently have, no innovation necessary, we can survive on a moon like object. The only things stopping us currently is “money” and gravity. Even if the earth was to degraded to a sunblasted dustball with no atmosphere we can still survive here.

You underestimate the human race, a mistake the blob did too, its fate was sealed the moment it crossed into our dimension.

3 Likes

Yeah, a few hundred people struggling to grow crops as the atmosphere wanes are not going to make a functioning self sufficient moonbase to live on the earth after total biosphere collapse, while billions of hostile monsters battle at their borders. That’s completely absurd, and if that’s your baseline for “humanity will pull through, innovation!” then I haven’t got much to say to you.

1 Like

By official lore, New England, which was ground zero, had a 99% death rate. Even if you say that is true for all of America, that’s still 3million survivors and there is zero reason to believe that the rest of America has been hit as hard as New England.

You are also over estimating the difficulty of surviving on an atmosphereless rock, like I said, the main thing holding use back currently from having a moon base is money and gravity and the vast amount of expenditure for a moon base is simply getting materials there in the first place. Something that isn’t an issue on earth.

I’m writing most of the official lore right now. That 99% figure hasn’t been canon for a very, very long time, since it doesn’t reflect the game world at all. The current estimate is about 1/1000 to 1/10,000 people surviving by game start, and a huge number more are dead by the end of first winter (canon within the design doc). The largest surviving faction is about 250 people within the game region for good reason.

And New England was no harder hit than anywhere else. That’s pretty clear in the design doc too (again, I know because I wrote those sections).

You’ve got the people working most closely with the lore and span of the game telling you the projected outcome. You can headcanon it all you like I guess, but that’s never going to be reflected in the lore. The blob has already infected everyone and everything on our planet, killed all but a tiny portion of us, and moved its attention on to other things. Those humans remaining are fighting each other as much as the zombies, earth is dying, and (again, canonically) the zombies will continue to advance in power until the earth is dead.

Dark Days Ahead, not “humans are cool and tougher than anything else in the multiverse”.

2 Likes

“I can only work with information I have”

You might want to update the time line on the wiki though.

He updated the design doc, which is more official that the wiki.

fair enough, can I get a link? I’m inerested in the updated lore.

I just cited all my sources. This is the game world reflected in the timeline as written. You’ve just inferred a bunch of things that either aren’t relevant or were in other documents.

Eg:
“The Blob is vast. It cannot be communicated with nor reasoned with. The most we could possible manage would be to annoy it enough that it would reach out and slap us, and that would be that.”
Or “Amidst the violence, the blob sends in a collection of its Lieutenants, alien zombies that have been evolving and growing for centuries or millenia. They begin organizing the burgeoning zombie hordes in tactically important locations.”

Or many more things. The timeline and background info isn’t done yet, but I’m not using information that isn’t in it.

Edit: just saw previous post.
https://cataclysmdda.org/lore-background.html
https://cataclysmdda.org/design-doc.html

Spoilers galore

Gameplay and Stoy Segregation you can program any threat you desire, sky scrapper mega hulks with laser beam eyes?, go ahead, literal mountains of moving flesh consuming all in its path, why not? billions of extra-dimensional phasing mega zombie bats?, go ahead, I WILL find a way to defeat it, you can tell me the blob is invincible all you want, I will find a way to overcome anything you can come up with in-game, and what happens in the game is more important than anything said in the lore.

By the way, do program literal mountains of moving flesh it sounds like a rad monster!

2 Likes

Please cite actual examples of humans surviving on a moon-like object using existing technology and no external support. We don’t even try to make the current space stations semi-self supporting, despite the enormous expense of lifting food up to low orbit.

You still haven’t explained how the technology that humanity isn’t developing in the future is going to help them defeat the Blob.

Your avatar, personally, might find a way to defeat any zombie in the game. That has no relevance to humanity’s survivability. You aren’t a breeding population, and will eventually simply die of old age.

And then the blob gets you, too. It doesn’t care if you kill one of its cells, any more than you scream in pain when your skin naturally sloughs off

You assume I can’t get several hundred people to be equally as powerful as myself following me under my banner. @Erk meant to reply to you, oops.

1 Like

I guarantee you can’t get several hundred people as powerful as you uniting under your banner to defeat billions of the undead. Remember, NPCs don’t have the benefit of dozens or hundreds of playthroughs and a wiki for reference. They die much faster than the player avatar.

And recall that a great playthrough gets like 2000 kills. A thousand player avatars fighting in unison at that rate wouldn’t even clear a tiny portion of new england.

1 Like

This is a whole channel on this kind of stuff but this:

Will cover a lot of it iirc.
If you have all the ingredients for growing food on an asteroid or moon and you have all the energy you need via solar panels, hydroponics are entirely viable as a food source and oxygen can be produced from water and the plants you are growing.
All of this is within are current technology level, this doesn’t apply to space stations for obvious reasons.

maybe your NPCs do… but mine: Alpha mutagen + CBMs + Advanced weaponry and armors = The new world order.

“They shall be my finest warriors…
These men and women who give of themselves to me…
In great armor I shall clad them and with the mightiest of weapons, they will be armed.
They shall have such tactics, strategies, and machines that no foe can best them in battle.
They are my bulwark against terror.
They are the defenders of humanity.
They are my ground marines.
And they shall know no fear.”

3 Likes

One, yes I do assume that you can’t manage that.
Two, it doesn’t matter, because hundreds of survivors are still going to suffer attrition from wave after wave of zombie assaults, and if they’re mutants they’re out of the breeding pool, and if they’re cyborgs they’re running through the local supply of CBMs and suffering because of surgical aftereffects.

Also, “GameplayAndStorySegregation” doesn’t mean what you seem to think it does. The story is cannon, and gameplay-induced departures from it are an unfortunate reality of mixed-media fiction, but it does not mean that it is cannon to extrapolate from gameplay to the story at large.

Re: spaceships, IDK what you’re getting at there, getting as much a sattelite into orbit is far outside the capabilities of the remainder of humanity, much less developing solutions for building permanent settlements in space.

3 Likes

Like I said, headcanon all you like. If you want the canon answer though, you’ve got it.

It dosesn’t matter what the lore says if the gameplay does not reflect that.

In the Elder Scrolls lore, dragons are fragments of time itself and are supposed to be extremely powerful, but they are not that fearsome in-game, which leads to people to think, “I don’t know what gets people so worried about these dragons I just killed three of them last tirdas.”

The stuff to do with space is a tangent in regards to the state of the planet, no one has suggested escaping to space.