iOS Version

I know how to make the keyboard stay up for typing long strings. But how do you toggle it back to minimize after one key press?

I did not handle any Bluetooth keyboard related events, thus I am not sure what would happen if using an external keyboard. I’ll try to get one and test it.

BTW how is the performance running on iPad Pro? I haven’t get one but would like to know. Thank you.[/quote]

Just found this port today–excellent work! It looks fantastic on the iPad Pro.

Surprisingly, though, it doesn’t allow keyboard commands via a keyboard attached via the new Smart Connector (I’m using the Logitech Create). If you could enable that, I would be very grateful! It would be a much more intuitive way to control the app on the giant iPad :slight_smile:

EDIT: I should clarify; the app doesn’t respond at all to keyboard presses on the Smart Connector keyboard. It is as if no keyboard exists. I have seen this on a few other apps (that stubbornly bring up the on-screen keyboard even with the keyboard attached), so I’m wondering if there’s a bit field somewhere to allow/respond to Smart Connector keyboards. Hopefully, it’s that easy to fix.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:35, topic:10551”]Just tested this on my jailbroken iPhone 6 [iOS 8.3];

1. Toggling the graphical option for tilesets on and off doesn’t do anything, nor does changing the tilesets themselves. You’re stuck with the same tileset no matter what you do, and as much as I’ve waited for this port I won’t be playing it if the default ASCII tileset isn’t supported. The screenshots show different tilesets in use but, like I said, none of them actually work.[/quote]

That’s pretty weird. I can change the tileset, even disable the tileset and use ASCII instead.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:35, topic:10551”]2. There are a few little bugs with the screen, such as the ones that appear after using the inventory screen or closing and (S)aving the game.

[spoiler]

(At the top of the screen)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

(At the bottom of the screen)

[/spoiler]
Nothing too bad though.[/quote]

This issue has been addressed in the Github. I will confirm if it was fixed in the main repo.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:35, topic:10551”]3. The gestures are brilliant, but the right side of the UI isn’t very useful at all. The X and V buttons are essentially useless from a gameplay standpoint, and “go up/down stairs” are very far from being the commands I’d use the most while playing. How about changing the right-to-left gesture from the (V) menu to, say, (i)nventory? Adding the (V) menu, or the (e)xamine command, or the other e(x)amine command as one of the buttons? Add a button to toggle the crafting menu or the construction menu?
There are far better commands you could use on these 4 buttons. I’m not asking to add more of them, as it would probably clutter the screen, just change the existing ones.[/quote]

How about letting players to set their own favorites?

Seems good I’ll think about it.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:35, topic:10551”]5. Using the locked keyboard mode blocks the moving pad, forcing you to use the actual keyboard for movement. Now, personally, I got used to moving with the numpad, and the numbers being displayed by order don’t help much at all. I think an easy solution is to just move the pad up when the locked keyboard is activated so you can still use it in combination with the keyboard. The other thing is to create your own, custom keyboard UI(?) and set custom buttons that will have set commands so you have to use the actual keyboard less.

Here’s (a part of) the custom keyboard Prompt uses, which I have actually used to play roguelikes on my phone via SSH in the past. Note the new “quick access” buttons at the top of the keyboard.

This would make playing with a virtual keyboard MUCH more convenient.

Congratulations on your release. It’s a good start, but far from properly playable in this early state. Would love to see the stuff I mentioned get fixed asap.[/quote]

The locked keyboard was intended to type long strings. But moving up the D-Pad and the buttons when locked keyboard is shown seems a good idea.

I have an iPhone 4, and was think about support it too. But I gave it up because some libraries used require iOS 8 at least.

Just swipe down.

[quote=“syd430, post:39, topic:10551”]A couple of bugs that have made it onto the final build.

All on iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1 non-JB

1. Freezes for a few seconds after a couple of turns when first loading save file

2. Sometimes crashes when re-entering the app on initial menu screen, only fixed by changing the phone orientation, force quitting does not fix

3. Keyboard sometimes changes to a light grey colour and freezes game for a couple of seconds

4. Part of the map remains at the bottom of the initial menu screen when exiting out of a game (as also mentioned by KliPeh above[/quote]

5. I encountered this too. Will try to figure it out.

6. How often will this happen?

[quote=“cliffs, post:43, topic:10551”][quote=“KliPeH, post:35, topic:10551”]Just tested this on my jailbroken iPhone 6 [iOS 8.3];

1. Toggling the graphical option for tilesets on and off doesn’t do anything, nor does changing the tilesets themselves. You’re stuck with the same tileset no matter what you do, and as much as I’ve waited for this port I won’t be playing it if the default ASCII tileset isn’t supported. The screenshots show different tilesets in use but, like I said, none of them actually work.[/quote]

That’s pretty weird. I can change the tileset, even disable the tileset and use ASCII instead.[/quote]
I’m pretty excited as I just figured out how to make this work and display properly. Perhaps this should be noted somewhere, whether it’s in-game or here;
After configuring the options, you can press either the X or the V buttons. This will bring up the “Save changes? Y/N” screen. I don’t know if intended or not, but pressing any of the onscreen buttons will NOT save the applied options. Or it will, but not all of them (in this case, graphical options). You have to manually swipe up, bring the keyboard up and press Y. This ensures that your custom options are set and applied.

[quote=“cliffs, post:43, topic:10551”][quote=“KliPeH, post:35, topic:10551”]3. The gestures are brilliant, but the right side of the UI isn’t very useful at all. The X and V buttons are essentially useless from a gameplay standpoint, and “go up/down stairs” are very far from being the commands I’d use the most while playing. How about changing the right-to-left gesture from the (V) menu to, say, (i)nventory? Adding the (V) menu, or the (e)xamine command, or the other e(x)amine command as one of the buttons? Add a button to toggle the crafting menu or the construction menu?
There are far better commands you could use on these 4 buttons. I’m not asking to add more of them, as it would probably clutter the screen, just change the existing ones.[/quote]
How about letting players to set their own favorites?[/quote]
Damn, that would be even better. Unless you’re being sarcastic and I just made myself look like a complete ass.
I didn’t want to ask for this because I wasn’t sure how difficult implementing that would be, and I know the devs’ stance on creating an in-game option for absolutely every single potentially-modifiable thing. Hopefully asking for customizable UI isn’t too much to ask for.

[quote=“cliffs, post:46, topic:10551”][quote=“syd430, post:39, topic:10551”]A couple of bugs that have made it onto the final build.

All on iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1 non-JB

1. Freezes for a few seconds after a couple of turns when first loading save file

2. Sometimes crashes when re-entering the app on initial menu screen, only fixed by changing the phone orientation, force quitting does not fix

3. Keyboard sometimes changes to a light grey colour and freezes game for a couple of seconds

4. Part of the map remains at the bottom of the initial menu screen when exiting out of a game (as also mentioned by KliPeh above[/quote]

5. I encountered this too. Will try to figure it out.

6. How often will this happen?[/quote]

It’s only happened twice in many hours of play, and I think I was just doing things too fast when it happened. Wouldn’t bother too much with it, I’d tag it as low priority.

Somebody in the Cata Reddit says they have their bluetooth keyboard working with this. I have tried every way I can think of, including his instructions to bring up the sticky keyboard, but it never registers a keystroke with my Logitech Tablet keyboard. Anybody else get their keyboards working? What brand and model?

I would like to know as well.

Speaking of sticky keyboard, how do you revert it back to close-on-keypress mode after you’ve enabled it? I might make it permanent when writing a long string but then trying to revert it back doesn’t work at all and it forces me to press the hide-keyboard key manually after taking each action.

Place your finger just above the top edge of the keyboard and drag down. That hides the keyboard and toggles it back to non-sticky.

I can’t find a way to switch lists when trading with a NPC. The <> buttons don’t work. It wants a Tab to move from NPC to player inventory lists.

Okay, confirmed. Thanks!

[quote=“cliffs, post:53, topic:10551”]Okay, confirmed. Thanks![/quote]When can we expect an update, if at all, regarding having no way to trade with NPCs as a result of having no useable Tab key on the virtual keyboard? Or a fix for the floating keyboard obscuring the D-Pad when activated?

Also, are we ever going to have the portable version updated to a newer experimental version? I’m not sure how hard converting the changes to mobile is so I’ve just been wondering. I don’t even know which version is currently used either.

First thank you for the great port. I have been playing daily since you released it. The only game breaker I found was the trade list with NPCs I mentioned earlier. I kept a list of a few tweaks that are irksome but not a bug:

Often in screens like the @ screen the previous screens text isn’t cleared and shows up ‘behind’ the current screens text.

If I switch out of the game for quite awhile when I come back the sound is gone and I have to close the app and reload it.

When page scrolling the left swipe zombies list it often double pages.

Pinching often results in bringing up the commands page instead of zooming.

Map scrolling is really slow. Making the map a swipe screen or just doubling scroll speed of the arrows would be great.

Finally just a few questions and suggestions:

Are saves going to be transferrable to newer versions?

Making the command buttons for inventory and adv. inventory part of the main interface would be very helpful.

I found this interface slows down my game play but that is a good thing. I have my longest living character on this port (v.s. on PC).

Thanks again!

Hello there. If you have a Bluetooth keyboard and want to test the next version. You can join the TestFlight beta testing here http://www.dancingbottle.com/?page_id=125. Invitation will be sent once it is approved.

Being really busy recently. I decide to update a version to support Bluetooth keyboard first. TAB button is also added in this version. The enhancement of on screen UI will be added after it.

For the save files, I am not sure if the save files of the current iOS version are compatible with the latest experimental of the desktop version. Since a lot of new features were added. However, you could find the save files via iTunes Shared Folder and test for it. I’ll try to update to latest experimental( or next stable? ) after UI enhancement is done.

Thanks!

Thanks for inviting me to the beta-test.

I noticed on my Brookstone keyboard that the escape-key is also the home-key, so when I try to back out it takes me out of the game. It’s not that bad given the built-in escape (X), just felt to report it.

Certain keys on my keyboard can’t be acessed like (_) to change my fighting style or (,)/ (g) works; when I try to repair my clothing, first press (a) and the key corresponding to my sewing kit, but it goes to my clothing item.
“Striped Shirt can’t be activated.” Sewing Kit is (m), but Striped Shirt is (q).

Thanks again for your hard work!

Edit: Backspace key doesn’t work on my Bluetooth keyboard, ("), and (/). Might be hardware issues, I’m not sure.

Love the app yet it crashes on me when i travel longer distances. This may be the cause due to the amount of mods I had been added to the world. Or my iphone cant handle the game’s epicness. Either way, finally a decent rogue-like game had been added to the app store. Now with high hopes, Dwarf Fortress will be next.

Thanks for your report. I would like to know:

1. I would like to know what BT keyboard you are using? Brand or model name should be fine. I’ll try to get one if possible.
  2. Is the BT keyboard detected automatically when connected to your device?
  3. Did you remap the control keys?

I tested with two different BT keyboards. When connected, you should see a prompt, and the on screen controls will be disabled(hidden).
ESC and BACKSPACE should be working, "(toggle run/walk) and /(advanced inventory management) should be okay too.

Is it possible to send me your settings and save files? I think it might be useful for debugging.

Thanks for your testing.

Cliffs

[quote=“WIndburns, post:57, topic:10551”]Thanks for inviting me to the beta-test.

I noticed on my Brookstone keyboard that the escape-key is also the home-key, so when I try to back out it takes me out of the game. It’s not that bad given the built-in escape (X), just felt to report it.

Certain keys on my keyboard can’t be acessed like (_) to change my fighting style or (,)/ (g) works; when I try to repair my clothing, first press (a) and the key corresponding to my sewing kit, but it goes to my clothing item.
“Striped Shirt can’t be activated.” Sewing Kit is (m), but Striped Shirt is (q).

Thanks again for your hard work!

Edit: Backspace key doesn’t work on my Bluetooth keyboard, ("), and (/). Might be hardware issues, I’m not sure.[/quote]

1. Product: http://www.brookstone.com/bluetooth-keyboard-pro-case-for-ipad/783382p.html
  2. If I used it recently yes, but not so then I have to connect the bt keyboard manually.
  3. Default keys.