iOS Version

Is this project dead? The person in charge hasn’t given any feedback on the delay nor the reasons and he doesn’t even answer in this thread. Another Thursday goes by and no release yet, kinda annoying.

Hello there. This project is not dead. It is just not released to the public yet.

The last fixed bug reported by the beta tester was that player could not save their default mods setting in world generation. No further bug fixes were made after that.

Current it is waiting to be reviewed. A few more( 1~2 ) days I guess. Waiting to be reviewed is a very tedious process. A small problem might get your app rejected and you have to wait for another 7~10 days. And I am not sure if it will be approved this time. I will post here once it is released. Thank you.

My suggestion would be to open source the project, in a similar way to the NetHack iOS port:

This will greatly increase the long term viability of this project for two reasons:

• As is always the case with a single contributor, updates may not occur at a pace that is needed for platform compatibility or may cease completely for unforseen circumstances. This was ultimately the fate of the NetHack iOS port, in which the single contributor stopped updating due to personal issues (illness) and the app eventually broke on iOS 7/8. As there was a public repo available, someone else eventually picked it up and is now running very well on iOS 8 ownwards and receiving regular updates.

• Since the arrival of Xcode 7, users no longer have to wait for the Apple Approval process and can simply compile and install the .ipa to their own device for personal use. An additional benefit is that if the app is pulled from the app store for whatever reason, users will still be able to compile + install.

On a slightly different topic, I have a long list of bugs and potential improvements that i’ve found during my time testing, but probably like other testers I am hesitant to invest in writing up a detailed, readable post with everything i’ve found until there is atleast a version on the app store, to ensure my efforts aren’t in vain. There are real non-technical threats in having a game like this not published or pulled at a later date. For example the drug use/addiction themes would probably be enough to get it pushed back or eventually pulled. See this example of a game that was pulled for containing a theme that Apple didn’t like: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Sweatshop+HD/news.asp?c=49468& . This is of course a pretty weak move, but it is a reality of developing for Apple.

how hard is it to get this into the app store? even if you put it up for free? I think there are delays and checks.

Delayed again?

“the beta tester” ??? there is only one?!

I encourage using TestFlight which would allow up to 1000 users to beta test it. You don’t find bugs by using only a single beta tester :slight_smile:

[quote=“cplr, post:26, topic:10551”]“the beta tester” ??? there is only one?!

I encourage using TestFlight which would allow up to 1000 users to beta test it. You don’t find bugs by using only a single beta tester :)[/quote]

He is. And there are many testers. Also if anyone is interested, it looks like it was rejected again yesterday as per his Twitter.

Hello there, after a long journey ( 3 months, 9 rejections, including self-rejections ), we finally arrived the starting point. It is now available on App Store. More info can be found at
http://www.dancingbottle.com/?page_id=160
and
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cataclysm-dark-days-ahead/id1017236109?l=zh&ls=1&mt=8

Testing it right now on an ipad pro. Any chance of bluetooth keyboard support? right now you can input commands but every time you hit enter the keyboard goes away which makes it unplayable.

You can show the “locked” keyboard with long press gesture.

I know, and whenever you press enter the locked keyboard goes away, so it makes it unable to be played with bluetooth keyboards.

I did not handle any Bluetooth keyboard related events, thus I am not sure what would happen if using an external keyboard. I’ll try to get one and test it.

BTW how is the performance running on iPad Pro? I haven’t get one but would like to know. Thank you.

Thanks for the port. I just played my first run. Died after getting pulled off a bike into a hoard. I am on Ipad Air2. It runs fine. Music pack sounds good. I tried a Logitech bluetooth keyboard with no success. Support for keyboards would make this perfect. Your control scheme was very intuitive and playable for somebody that knows most of the keys. The popup 2 finger drag command list is handy but could be shrunk down just a bit so the last row isn’t half hidden. Thanks again!

This sucks on so many levels :frowning:

I am being teased by an IOS version but I have been after an Android version for about 3 years now DOH.

Any way OP great job it looks amazeing from the screenshots I have seen.

Still no mattr how much I want this it will NEVER make me get an Apple product :stuck_out_tongue:

Just tested this on my jailbroken iPhone 6 [iOS 8.3];

[hr]
POSTED - December 9th
EDITED - December 30th

[hr]

1. Toggling the graphical option for tilesets on and off doesn’t do anything, nor does changing the tilesets themselves. You’re stuck with the same tileset no matter what you do, and as much as I’ve waited for this port I won’t be playing it if the default ASCII tileset isn’t supported. The screenshots show different tilesets in use but, like I said, none of them actually work.

1. There are a few little bugs with the screen such as the ones that appear after using the inventory screen or closing and (S)aving the game with graphical tiles enabled.

Nothing too bad though.

1. The gestures are brilliant, but the right side of the UI isn’t very useful at all. The X and V buttons are essentially useless from a gameplay standpoint, and “go up/down stairs” are very far from being the commands I’d use the most while playing. How about changing the right-to-left gesture from the (V) menu to, say, (i)nventory? Adding the (V) menu, or the (e)xamine command, or the other e(x)amine command as one of the buttons? Add a button to toggle the crafting menu or the construction menu?
    There are far better commands you could use on these 4 buttons. I’m not asking to add more of them, as it would probably clutter the screen, just change the existing ones.

2. You should be able to access the options menu in-game. Since my keyboard doesn’t have an Escape key, Options are accessible with ? => 2, but how about adding a “pause menu” button (which functions similarly to the Esc menu) at the top right corner of the screen? Make it tiny, but still noticeable. Have it contain the options, the autopick rules, the nice playing instructions you wrote and the default FAQ found in the PC version of the game.

3. Using the locked keyboard mode blocks the moving pad, forcing you to use the actual keyboard for movement. Now, personally, I got used to moving with the numpad, and the numbers being displayed by order don’t help much at all. I think an easy solution is to just move the pad up when the locked keyboard is activated so you can still use it in combination with the keyboard. The other thing is to create your own, custom keyboard UI(?) and set custom buttons that will have set commands so you have to use the actual keyboard less.

Here’s (a part of) the custom keyboard Prompt uses, which I have actually used to play roguelikes on my phone via SSH in the past. Note the new “quick access” buttons at the top of the keyboard.

This would make playing with a virtual keyboard MUCH more convenient.

Congratulations on your release. It’s a good start, but far from properly playable in this early state and I’m just an idiot. Would love to see the stuff I mentioned get fixed further updates to newer experimental versions.

Man, I was looking forward to this. Unfortunately, it only works on iOS 8. I may have to jailbreak my iPhone just to download this, warranty be damned!

I’m on IOS 9.2 and it runs great. I assume you are on something prior to 8.

Forwarding a bug report I received via email.

iOS 8
iPhone 6 Plus, 64GB

Game plays sound when the mute switch is off. Not a huge issue, but would be good for consistancy.

Congratulations on the release!

Chad

Congrats from me too!

A couple of bugs that have made it onto the final build.

All on iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1 non-JB

• Freezes for a few seconds after a couple of turns when first loading save file

• Sometimes crashes when re-entering the app on initial menu screen, only fixed by changing the phone orientation, force quitting does not fix

• Keyboard sometimes changes to a light grey colour and freezes game for a couple of seconds

• Part of the map remains at the bottom of the initial menu screen when exiting out of a game (as also mentioned by KliPeh above

Yeah, I’m using a crummy iphone 4. No os 8 for me ;( I’m guessing whatever weird way this is running only really works for newer os’s, but I’m still numbed. It looks like a solid port tho, even with the expected clunky ness from not havering a real keyboard.