Intermediate Vehicle Building Tutorial

I’ve done a bit of testing today and yesterday and it might be helpful for someone if I post results here, also I don’t know about automotive engineering so if you see something that might be a bug please help out and report it as one.

K friction is a quite relevant stat for any vehicle, it seems to adjust how easy it is to control a vehicle, and to emphasize a lower value is better, there are a few ways to decrease your value that I’ve found, wider wheels (Roller drums > armor wheels > wide wheels > wheels > all other wheel types basically), larger diameter wheels (most wheels say their diameter in the name and a few in the description roller drums come out on top again), and more wheels wheels of a lower diameter than your maximum will remove a lot less friction, but they will still change the values I haven’t noted any other problems with different sizes but I’ve been adding my wheels after symmetry.
If roller drums are so great why does not every vehicle have them, well first there is the issue of placement, if you have a roller drum in a spot that spot is not usable for anything else, that will mean larger vehicles that have a harder time moving about in many places, then there is the fact that roller drums are heavy, unless you have a really overpowered vehicle design your vehicle will slow to a crawl whether or not it is overpowered it will be a fuel hog on account of the extra strain on the engine. But then again no other wheel can take as much of a beating as the roller drums so it’s really up to you.
A K friction of 70% is very easy to handle at 40% you can use the handbrake at speeds up to 350 km/h or 220 mph, unless the other values interferes with that.

I haven’t been able to figure exactly what K mass does but I do know that more engine per weight decreases that stat, and for K aerodynamics I havent been able to even change that stat so it does something or other.

For vehicle design I recommend having curtains on every window and non opaque door to be able to use your vehicle as an emergency/travel sleeping spot, hatches however cant have them.
For placement of doors I recommend having two non opaque doors near the drivers seat on each side of the vehicle, any extra doors should be further from the drivers seat (and each other) and preferably be of the opaque variety, the motivation for this is that you always want to exit and enter near the drivers seat in the case that you need to leave quickly, the other doors are emergency doors, to be able to enter and exit when stuck or hunted or in any other case where it is dangerous to leave or enter through the main doors.
Vision in vehicles is also aided greatly by wing mirrors if you see a wing mirror on the vehicle you currently use directly you see everything around it as if you were standing at the tile of the wing mirror however seeing one through another does not give this, anything outside the vehicle will not be able to see in this way either so close to the doors is a good option here too.

Onto cargo, living space and utility placement.
If you have curtains on all your windows and doors and do not use hatches a reclining seat is as good as a bed if not better as it doesn’t take up extra space.
Cabin doors and boards inside the vehicle just take up precious space usable for other things, removing a bed and boards etc can sum you 4 extra tiles to use if you use an RV for example.
Cargo is definitely best placed in cargo spaces (the item needed to construct them is called cargo carriers) and these have a good extra of not hindering your movement inside your vehicle and are a fit replacement for aisles, lit aisles can be replaced by using flash lights as aisle lights on the cargo spaces, it nets a little more weight than a lit aisle but for the space is definitely worth it.
If you can’t craft or find cargo carriers yet, it is a choice between more storage (trunk) or easier access (floor trunk) they can be placed with frame and sheet metal respectively, and it is up to your needs to make the decision.

If you have a controllable vehicle by now I recommend having your side and rear boards into stow boards, they do not hold much damage nor do they hold much cargo, that’s not the point though, they are there to shield eyes from seeing you when you sleep and to be able to move massive amounts of loot without walking back and forward into your vehicle, or lining your car up perfectly.
If you do not have full control of your vehicle though, the side boards are better replaced with heavy boards that can take a beating, if you are worried about zombies breaking your car when it’s standing still, replace all boards with heavy duty ones… but a car should be driving away from a beating or driving head on into it.
Utilities as forges kitchen stuff and welders can all hold cargo which is good to remember but don’t overuse it, it gets much harder to sort stuff if placed in other places than cargo designated areas (which does not include the stow boards they’re there to provide easy access for the most part), but be mindful of placing these so you can still access all boards from the inside (a stow board do not help with ease of access if you can’t access it).

I’d suggest not having wheels at the absolute front unless it is roller drums or armored wheels because they will take a beating, likewise put something in front of your wing mirrors to lower the chance that they run into zombies and have spare mirrors just in case.

And a last note, mufflers are good but from my experience of testing one will do for any number of gas and diesel engines and don’t help at all with electrical ones. More will just add weight.

Feel free to add, ask or just show off. :slight_smile:
And if I need to clarify anything, shorten the sentences or fix my grammar to be understood, please point that out.

Love it!

To clarify:
“Onto cargo, living space and utility placement if you have curtains on all your windows and doors and do not use hatches a reclining seat is as good as a bed if not better as it doesn’t take up extra space and in cabin doors and boards just take up precious space usable for other things, removing a bed and boards etc can sum you 4 extra tiles to use if you use an RV for example.”

This sentence is a bit odd.

Lot of your sentences are very long. And you could use points in a lot of places where you use commas.

[quote=“Soyweiser, post:2, topic:9806”]Love it!

To clarify:
“Onto cargo, living space and utility placement if you have curtains on all your windows and doors and do not use hatches a reclining seat is as good as a bed if not better as it doesn’t take up extra space and in cabin doors and boards just take up precious space usable for other things, removing a bed and boards etc can sum you 4 extra tiles to use if you use an RV for example.”

This sentence is a bit odd.

Lot of your sentences are very long. And you could use points in a lot of places where you use commas.[/quote]
Thank you, first fixing of the text has been done also added a few K values to note. :slight_smile:

/Zorbeltuss

Thank you! That explained some of the annoyances and anomalies I’ve encountered in the past.

1. Reinforce the front first. Build a bumper layer, or move the engines and precious components to the center or back.
  2. Reinforce the rear second. That’s the second most common zombie bump location. Third, the outer windshield tiles. Windshields are so fragile. Would be a shame if anything happened to them.
  3. Since cargo carriers require long ropes, gather every last “long string”, “short rope”, and “thread” you come across, since they can be used to craft long ropes. All car seatbelts detach as short ropes, so you might want to detach them as you find abandoned cars. Of course, you might get lucky and outright find a pick-up truck with its cargo carriers, but this is for those whose playstyle or settings do not allow much freedom of movement.
  4. There is one other component that holds far more than a cargo carrier, but I’m not sure if it’s part of the Vehicle Additions mod. Also the part’s name escapes me right now… ‘vortex’ something? ‘Dimensional cargo’ something? It’s sci-fi and silly, and I never installed it but I saw it in the vehicle construction list.
  5. Relocate headlights away from corners. They can reside where your windshield is.
  6. Always repair the most delicate parts first. Armor can go all the way to pink, and it’ll still punch a zombie to death. Consider security cameras and headlights as “near-death” as soon as they go from dark green to light green.
  7. Security cameras can replace wing mirrors. Preferrably install them further to the back. They don’t even have to extrude outside the vehicle like mirrors, but they’ll get a smaller field of vision, but it should still be fine, or at least better than nothing and more durable than wing mirrors.
  8. It might not be apparent but cars actually have roofs. Put solar panels where there’s a roof tile. Don’t put solar panels on the edge tiles.
  9. Always install a truck alternator for maximum battery power generation? (I’m cautiously waiting for someone to criticize this advice)
  10. Vehicle Additions pack includes shredders, which are absolutely fantastic for ploughing through zombie masses. Don’t drive too fast. Like a tractor through a cornfield. (“Graaaains…”). Shredders are installed like roller drums - outside the vehicle and alone.
  11. Note that loot items on bodies are damaged if you run over them with a vehicle.
  12. You can shoot from a moving vehicle with your gun. Just keep your door open. Use a pistol.

Headlight placement tutorial:

1. Install headlight just as any other component. (a headlight is just a flashlight btw)
  2. When it prompts you to choose a direction, first hit Enter to make the prompt go away.
  3. Start moving your directional keys. There’s a cursor but your vehicle might be hiding it, get it outside the vehicle to make it visible. It starts from the tile where you installed the headlight. (it’s possible graphical tilesets hide the cursor)
  4. Hit Enter when satisfied. Install headlights at night to see the results immediately. Or set up a surprise for yourself and install them during day.
  5. Experiment with “cross-eyed” setups, where your front right headlight actually points 45 degrees to the left, for example, and the left headlight points bit to the right.

Security cameras:

• You’ll likely have to craft one (or two). This requires electronics knowledge. You’ll need high-quality lenses, which can be disassembled from eyebots or normal cameras. Other required components are common, IIRC.
  • You’ll also have to craft a camera monitor, which you’ll have to install in the driver’s seat tile. This requires many small LCD displays, so pick up those precious cell phones or deconstruct a bunch of consoles.
  • Both require power, which is drawn from the vehicle battery.
  • Don’t forget to actually turn on the camera system at the vehicle controls.

The cargo dimension. Its a portal installed directly into your vehicle that leads to its own pocket dimension, used to store up to 1,000,000 units of volume worth of items.

You need a stabilized portal to install it. I’m not sure where one can find such I thing, but I’m guessing it can be found in labs.

Tips / Tricks / Suggestions

Another set of vehicle controls may be installed to provide (dome) lights & backup controls

Some of the various kinds of doors connect to eachother and will open/close together with the adjacent door tile.
[sup][sup]as one would expect that’s quite handy for when you’ll be moving cargo in and out the vehicle, Mounting them on the sides rather than the rear also earns you style points.[/sup][/sup]

Kmass is the total mass of the vehicle including liquids ( in tanks ) and items inside of cargo spaces
[sup][sup]One thing it defines is your ability to pull the vehicle (G) For example a character with 12 STR will be able to pull around 220kg. I don’t believe the weight you have on you affects that.[/sup][/sup]

Having wheels or casters on your “shopping carts” doesn’t make them any easier to pull around.
[sup][sup]It does prevent them from making as much noise as they otherwise would[/sup][/sup]

Once you have a load of cargo spaces [size=7pt]( Or any storage implements )[/size] on your vehicle, You really should use the advajced inventory managment UI
[sup][sup]Default key “/”[/sup][/sup]

The “,” key when in advanced inventory managment mode will move all the items from the currently selected tile to the other one you have open.
[sup][sup]This feature currently ignores the maximum volume of a container and may cause items to be left on the floor under your vehicle instead - If max volume is exceeded ofc.[/sup][/sup]

Having several engines in your vehicle is nice, However. if you disable one and cause active one to blow up- By speeding for instance
Your vehicle won’t work until you either fix or remove it.

Roller drums deal allot of damage to mobs but they deal even more damage to items on the ground.

It doesn’t matter “Where” you mount your wheels
[sup][sup]both vertically and horizontally wheels may be mounted anywhere including in the middle with no penalties[/sup][/sup]

Having a container of clean water on your vehicle is nice
[sub][sub]- The water may be used in the kitchen unit regardless of where the storage tank is[/sub][/sub]
[sup][sup]- The faucet, likewise. may be attached anywhere in your vehicle. including outside.[/sup][/sup]

Well since we’re talking about vehicle construction;

Does anyone know how to charge mounted energy weapons? I’ve got a NX17 Laser cannon mounted on my current vehicle, but no matter what I do it will not fire. Whenever I try to fire it manually it complains about not having ammo.

I’ve tried:

Dropping batteries on it
Dropping a UPS on it (falls through the floor onto the ground)
Building a car battery on the same tile

And it does not seem to work. When I drop batteries on the turret it mentions 'you put your batteriess (yes with double s for some reason) in the car’s mounted NX17" but it does not change the gun’s ammo counter (0/1800).

Does anyone know a solution besides ripping it out and replacing it with a machinegun?

[quote=“joxer, post:6, topic:9806”]Kmass is the total mass of the vehicle including liquids ( in tanks ) and items inside of cargo spaces
[sup][sup]One thing it defines is your ability to pull the vehicle (G) For example a character with 12 STR will be able to pull around 220kg. I don’t believe the weight you have on you affects that.[/sup][/sup][/quote]
Do you mean Mass, K Mass is given in percent?

[quote=“joxer, post:6, topic:9806”]It doesn’t matter “Where” you mount your wheels
[sup][sup]both vertically and horizontally wheels may be mounted anywhere including in the middle with no penalties[/sup][/sup][/quote]
This is true for the most part, but you need to space them out on the vehicle or the vehicle will be unbalanced, for example removing all front wheels from an RV and placing them in the back will do this and render the vehicle unusable.

[quote=“John the Gamer, post:7, topic:9806”]Well since we’re talking about vehicle construction;

Does anyone know how to charge mounted energy weapons? I’ve got a NX17 Laser cannon mounted on my current vehicle, but no matter what I do it will not fire. Whenever I try to fire it manually it complains about not having ammo.[/quote]
I do not sadly, but it is supposed to be used with a UPS, was the UPS turned off or maybe the ammunition storage filled with batteries while you tried to place it?

/Zorbeltuss

correct, apologies :stuck_out_tongue:

Learn something new every day, While it’s true that a 4 wheeled vehicle won’t drive on two rear wheels
You don’t actually need much in terms of wheels to keep driving and stay perfectly balanced and stable.
Testing with a flatbed truck in 0.C, I’ve got a total of three wheels on it covering one quoter of the shape.

HH0HH
HHHHH
HH0H0
HHHHH
HHHHH
HHHHH
H- frame, 0- wheel

It drives as good as it ever did.

In short, Adding wheels to the middle of a standard vehicle will- if worst come to worst, Make it more of a trike if Any two out of four wheels break.
[sup][sup]Except diagonal ofc.[/sup][/sup]

Also may i just say your avatar is hypnotizing. O.Q

[quote=“John the Gamer, post:7, topic:9806”]Well since we’re talking about vehicle construction;

Does anyone know how to charge mounted energy weapons? I’ve got a NX17 Laser cannon mounted on my current vehicle, but no matter what I do it will not fire. Whenever I try to fire it manually it complains about not having ammo.[/quote]
Testing the whole deal, Spawned the NX-17 CHARGE RIFLE and mounted it on the same flatbed truck mentioned above.
With no power sources on the vehicle beside an alternator ( Engine was turned off ) And a truck battery, It fired like a charm.

What version are you playing?

[quote=“joxer, post:9, topic:9806”]Learn something new every day, While it’s true that a 4 wheeled vehicle won’t drive on two rear wheels
You don’t actually need much in terms of wheels to keep driving and stay perfectly balanced and stable.
Testing with a flatbed truck in 0.C, I’ve got a total of three wheels on it covering one quoter of the shape.

HH0HH
HHHHH
HH0H0
HHHHH
HHHHH
HHHHH
H- frame, 0- wheel

It drives as good as it ever did.

In short, Adding wheels to the middle of a standard vehicle will- if worst come to worst, Make it more of a trike if Any two out of four wheels break.
[sup][sup]Except diagonal ofc.[/sup][/sup][/quote]
I tried this with my test RV on my test save, I put a wheel in the middle and remover all other wheels and it worked, while slightly uncontrollable even at minimum speeds even it halved the turning radius, so I tried with a single roller drum, the turning radius went up again as handling went up so it was sadly not the turn on a dime solution I’d hoped.
Since loads of extra mass and single point of failure the mono roller cycle solution is probably not a good thing for a survivor vehicle, but now that I’ve tested it I’m also recommending wheels near the center if others fail.

Why thank you, I’ve been meaning to get a cycling avatar though like Rivet and Phtalocy though, but I’ve lost the link for that utility. XP

/Zorbeltuss

I’m unsure what you mean by the turning radius, I’ve assumed all vehicles take 3 “turns” to turn 45 degrees.
[sup][sup] While a single turn- while driving a relatively short vehicle ( About and under 5 tiles, especially the ones that are thin aswell )- Don’t display any changes in their shape but instead offset from the ‘straight’ path every couple turns.[/sup][/sup]

[quote=“joxer, post:11, topic:9806”]I’m unsure what you mean by the turning radius, I’ve assumed all vehicles take 3 “turns” to turn 45 degrees.
[sup][sup] While a single turn- while driving a relatively short vehicle ( About and under 5 tiles, especially the ones that are thin aswell )- Don’t display any changes in their shape but instead offset from the ‘straight’ path every couple turns.[/sup][/sup][/quote]
Well that they do, at first I thought that it was a shorter wheelbase that allowed it turn a more narrow way, but when tested with the roller drum and returning i noticed that the average speed of a single wheel that wasn’t a road roller during this turn was around 4 km/h instead of the wanted 16km/h meaning a much smaller turning circle because of the lesser control of the speed. :slight_smile:

/Zorbeltuss

interesting, i wasn’t aware the speed was calculated per wheel ( or to what extent ) I’m intrigued!
always thought that the handling was more arcade-like than anything, atleast- that’s what i expected.

abit of theorycrafting
i’m assuming the wheels are checked to cover both the axis ( form a square? ) to validate the “Enough Wheels” condition.
[sup]- As three wheels in a straight line won’t support a wide vehicle -[/sup]

You’ve said that the turning speed per wheel has changed
[sup]At first glance given how many values we’re given on the vehicle creation screen i’d almost expect it to be scaled directly with the amount of wheels

but… It’s also possible that the contrary to what you first expected is true- That the distance ( Or ratio between the axis ) of the farthest wheels define that sort of thing
Instead of a narrower wheelbase providing with a narrower turn radius ( Like it’s in the real world )[/sup]

Or perhaps it’s simply more arcade-y than that, And the “speed of the wheel” is the speed the wheel moved during the last turn ( less if it’s turning ) which is based upon- rather than the defining factor of- the location/speed of the vehicle.

[quote=“joxer, post:9, topic:9806”]Testing the whole deal, Spawned the NX-17 CHARGE RIFLE and mounted it on the same flatbed truck mentioned above.
With no power sources on the vehicle beside an alternator ( Engine was turned off ) And a truck battery, It fired like a charm.

What version are you playing?[/quote]

Version 0.C

But after a night of testing and modifying files I’ve figured out the problem. For some unknown reason I added “ups_charges”: 1, to the NX-17 a while back. Removing that seems to have solved the problem.

Let me throw in one intermediate vehicle trick: a footcrank/pedals engine under the seat adds a little power for free even on heavy vehicles. And it keeps the joint torsion ratchet CBM going for even more free energy.

And in the next edit, putting in alternators apparently lets them tap a shared pool even of electric engine energy, making such a vehicle very efficient indeed.

Multiple engines have downscaled power. You can see it by turning off the pedals - if your engine is heavy, you’ll notice an increase in safe speed rather than decrease.

This is wonderful. Thank you. It changed my life like learning about batch crafting (press ‘b’ in the crafting menu).

It’s Intermediate vehicles then :slight_smile: My current 5x1 bike has 2 small electric motors and the pedals fit very well there. You’re right on really heavy vehicles the pedals aren’t so useful.

This is wonderful. Thank you. It changed my life like learning about batch crafting (press ‘b’ in the crafting menu).[/quote]

You know, in almost every menu you can hit ‘?’ to see all the keybindings for that particular menu, that’s how i learned about them useful buttons after 2 days of playing the game :wink:

One minor correction, “enough” wheels is calculated by determining the vehicle center of mas, drawing a bounding box around the wheels, and checking that the center of mass is inside the box. A word of warning though, we will likely make this more strict at some point, so make silly vehicles at your own risk.