Ingame clothing choices you prefer

I am interested in what type of clothing your survivor ordinary take and if i am missing on utility of some of clothes r some peculiar combination you find effective

for myself early game goes like
shelter preparation-
head 2x balaclavas/2xbandana/keffeyeh/boonie hat
torso-tank top/tshirt/1 or 2 hoodie/backpack
arms 2 warmers /hoodie
legs/starting shoes/starting pants/2xcargo shorts/shin guards

hoodie is replaced with two leather vest when avaible and leather arm guards,tank top with compression top.Later iron greaves/leahter chaps replace shin guards and cargo pants ordinary pants.boots are replaced with rubber boots as soon as those are found.

midgame i tend to go for nomad gear instead of t-shirt/pants for storage and good protection though heat is annoying.nomad cowl also have nice enviormental protection.Both of this makes you immune to rain.nomad gear also gives me enough storage to wear duffel bag for heavy looting.Also drop leg pouches and survvor utility belts are used for additional storage.

late game
head-heavy mask/heavy survior helmet/tricorne
torso-firesutit/survivor wetsut /plate armor/surviror utility belt/survivor backpack
arms-firesuit-wetsuit/plate/elbow pads
legs fire suit/wetsut/plate/iron greaves/knee pads/2xdrop leg pouches
boots-survivor fireboots/2xfire socks

I’m too lazy to type it all out, so here’s a pic. Currently in a winter where the temps are now dropping to 9f at night. Surprisingly still warm. Right now, this is mid-end game for me right now.

Notice how I like ordering my clothes to head to toe from top to bottom… Paints a better picture in my head. Ignore the chest pouch on the bottom on the list, should go next to the harness…

That’s disgusting ninja.

You have no idea what you’re doing.

[quote=“X-PLODE, post:3, topic:11919”]That’s disgusting ninja.

You have no idea what you’re doing.[/quote]

u wot m9

for ninja
i dont know i dont find much need for special winter clothing.only balaclavas in winter as for warmth.torso gets hilly but i can alwys put union suit instead of firesuit in close to skin slot if needed.

take this constructive i am not mean and you can criticise mine to improve it.some of you r decision may be taken for roleplay or from unique style and iam watching from my percpective.

for example i would have this remearks-long sleeved shirt is obsolete for you as it conflicts with light survior suit for little gain-they are normal layer iirc.You have 3 belts/harness of which i think firefigter belt which is empty is doing very little.You also dont seem to have any clothing on outer layer like in my example plate or vests…boy shorts are also obsolete at that point i think.Also you dont seem tho wear any maks which may be gameplay choice but ifind carrying at list filter mask is good protection against diseases and gas zombies.
also do binoculars increace encumbrance?thre are as far as i rember just 2 volume and can be replaced survivor telescope which is just 1 volume.boots are obsolete as they have little acid protection in my view and in game combined attacks of hordes combined with spitters and corrosives can pwn you if acid protection is low.thats reason i wear wetsuti for example not because i like to swim with my survivor.

[quote=“survivornaginata, post:5, topic:11919”]for ninja
i dont know i dont find much need for special winter clothing.only balaclavas in winter as for warmth.torso gets hilly but i can alwys put union suit instead of firesuit in close to skin slot if needed.[/quote]

Gets cold when you’re living in a abandoned campsite.

I mean, I have been playing this game for quite a long time… >Looks at post count

Roleplaying purposes. I wouldn’t wear armor without an undershirt would you now…

Just found it, was going back home to fill it with a crowbar.

I find that the protection doesn’t really outweigh the encumbrance. Plus they’re heavy, which means I can’t carry much loot without getting overweight and possibly finding myself in a situation without stamina, because I’m also a melee-centric person.

Roleplaying purposes.

I carry a gasmask in the car for when I go into mines, but I can always shoot gas zombies and diseases seem to only happen if your health score is low enough.

Not sure, but I haven’t been able to craft the telescope and I like the mental image of me having binoculars around my neck.

Roleplaying purposes, plus the light survivor boots give me like +5 or something to my speed, which I don’t like. And uh, very important here, I don’t like running with hordes in my games.

Honestly my encumbrance is pretty low, but if I put another chest ammo pouch on my chest encumbrance goes into the red. Here’s a pic of my encumbrance lvls:

Thanks for the advice, but I’m fine ^.^

My advice for you (and possibly other people) is to don’t armor up all the time, but since you’re playing with hordes, I guess you have to.

no biggie i presumed its for roleplay.
i am melee centric i dont use guns at all soi istrive for maximum protection from any possible circumstance and with hordes and increased spawn rate well things can go very wrong sometimes.
i live in ice lab but i have special oufit for comfy living in modified fur and wool thermal electric outfit.

as for outer layer
leather vests have 4 encumbrace for 9/9 protection and 90% coverage and weight 1kg.they are well woth it. i think even compared to light survvor suit which have protection 9/14., 7 encumbrance and 5.1kg.

When i’m not running the standard suit of heavy survivor armour, i prefer:

2x Thermal Electric Outfit
Ornamental Plate Armor
Kevlar-reinforced Pair of Armored Boots
Kevlar-reinforced Pair of Armored Gauntlets
Kevlar-reinforced Barbute Helm
Stylish Sunglasses
Back Scabbard w/ Zweihander
Survivor Harness w/ folding assault rifle (usually a SCAR-L)
Chest Ammo Pouch
Survivor Duffel Bag (dropped immediately when entering combat)
Heavy Survivor Mask kept in inventory for when toxins are present or when facing firearm-equipped enemies.

The torso encumbrance is significant, at 50 without the duffel bag, but there aren’t many enemies that can damage you through that setup, and if there’s an enemy I can’t easily melee due to torso encumbrance, I just shoot it. Probably not as mechanically ideal as survivor heavy armor, but I love the post-modern/medieval knight look :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Solusphere, post:8, topic:11919”]When i’m not running the standard suit of heavy survivor armour, i prefer:

2x Thermal Electric Outfit
Ornamental Plate Armor
Kevlar-reinforced Pair of Armored Boots
Kevlar-reinforced Pair of Armored Gauntlets
Kevlar-reinforced Barbute Helm
Stylish Sunglasses
Back Scabbard w/ Zweihander
Survivor Harness w/ folding assault rifle
Chest Ammo Pouch
Survivor Duffel Bag (dropped immediately when entering combat)
Heavy Survivor Mask kept in inventory for when toxins are present or when facing firearm-equipped enemies.

The torso encumbrance is significant, at 50 without the duffel bag, but there aren’t many enemies that can damage you through that setup, and if there’s an enemy I can’t easily melee due to torso encumbrance, I just shoot it. Probably not as mechanically ideal as survivor heavy armor, but I love the post-modern/medieval knight look :P[/quote]
yup it s great physical protection alright and i too like knight armor outlook but prefer gothic plate.ornamental as far as i recall is one of strongest physical armor in game surpassing gothic plate but for 90% in stead of 95% protection.i have been interested in i find it too encumbering for my taste and for some reason 95%-100% protection really weighs heavy on my mind.
how you deal with corrosives and spitters. i presume firearms are in order?

Plate armor is actually slightly better than survivor amour at acid resistance, at 90 versus 85. I generally just engage them in melee unless i’m in a very dangerous situation. I usually end up burning my feet a little, but I’d rather spend cotton balls than ammo. If I can’t afford the damage or pain, then I just shoot them, same with shocker zombies/brutes.

-Hoodie
-Cargopants
-Scarf
-Sneakers
-Runner Pack
-Uncanny Dodge

All you need in under 10 enc. Kill fast and die fast.

Works only if you have a normal size car.

ornamental plate armor and ordinary plate armor have acid resistance 0.and also 0 enviromental protection which counts against acid fields in case of leg part.

survival armors on other hand have some but not stellar resistance

to not burn feet i would recomend fire boots or rubber boots

as armor boots have little acid to none acid protection

but its really about roleplay and you enjoyment.and knight set would require full armor style and not rubber boots like i compromise…xd. but acid is my bane becuse of large number of zombies.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:11, topic:11919”]All you need in under 10 enc. Kill fast and die fast.

Works only if you have a normal size car.[/quote]
lol

Uh, are you playing on the months-old stable version?

Here are it’s stats in the latest experimental: http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/armor_plate

Armoured boots: http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/boots_plate
Armoured gauntlets: http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/gloves_plate

I didn’t realize acid resistance was only for resisting damage to the item itself though. That explains why I get burned by acid so easily. I guess that’s one downside to my setup, but it’s not going to stop me from using it :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Solusphere, post:14, topic:11919”]Uh, are you playing on the months-old stable version?

Here are it’s stats in the latest experimental: http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/armor_plate[/quote]
this are ingame stats.latest today version.
http://prntscr.com/b83jpb
i have been puzzled with item browser site stats as they are clearly not those displayed in game.

for all i know of acid is this from wiki

In the 0.C experimentals there is a rating for armor against acid. Acid protection protects against acid attacks and standing in acid fields.
You need 5 acid resistance total on both feet and legs to avoid all direct acid damage from acid fields. To gain total immunity to acid fields, you will also need 15 environmental resistance on both feet and legs to avoid the damage over time effect.

I just looked through the armor.json file in the latest experimental, and the word acid doesn’t even appear, nor does cut resistance. I think that these days, most protective properties are being automatically calculated from the item’s materials and the “material thickness” property rather than inbuilt stats, and the item browser isn’t calculating them correctly. It would explain why most stuff is perfectly up to date, but the armour stats are incorrect.

Edit: Yeah, just double checked ingame using the debug menu. Ornamental plate armour has been massively nerfed since the last time I played with it, and now doesn’t even hold a candle to heavy survivor gear, and in fact is hard to justify using at all. That’s…very disappointing.

[quote=“Solusphere, post:16, topic:11919”]I just looked through the armor.json file in the latest experimental, and the word acid doesn’t even appear, nor does cut resistance. I think that these days, most protective properties are being automatically calculated from the item’s materials and the “material thickness” property rather than inbuilt stats, and the item browser isn’t calculating them correctly. It would explain why most stuff is perfectly up to date, but the armour stats are incorrect.

Edit: Yeah, just double checked ingame using the debug menu. Ornamental plate armour has been massively nerfed since the last time I played with it, and now doesn’t even hold a candle to heavy survivor gear, and in fact is hard to justify using at all. That’s…very disappointing.[/quote]
yeah,ii was extremely puzzled by it as i heard it read directly game files but you interpretation sound reasonable as i also heard about material thickness but couldnt understand what they are thinking by it.i still used site for recepies for crafting.

ordinary gothic plate is still very competitive in my opinion if you wanna knight experience ,low encumbrance high phisical protectiom and most other outer layer armors frankly are not great.

[quote=“survivornaginata, post:13, topic:11919”][quote=“John Candlebury, post:11, topic:11919”]All you need in under 10 enc. Kill fast and die fast.

Works only if you have a normal size car.[/quote]
lol[/quote]
Tbh I think you can really fit everything you need under 35 volume:

-A backup handgun for when you get surrounded.( gun in ankle holster, a spare mag and 60 9mm or .45mm shots) (4 volume)
-A handcannon for hulks/Jabberwocks l( ideally a revolver to save on volume) (5 volume if you carry a lemat, shotgun shells and .44)
-Your main weapon (play safe and use a katana) (8 volume)
-A backup melee weapon (a combat knife in ankle seathl)
-Frying Pan (cook on the spot!) (4 volume)
-2 plastic bottles for water (4 volume)
-A needle (1 volume)
-Survivor telescope (1 volume)
-Aspirin (1 volume)
-Oxycodone (1 volume)
-Escape meth (1 volume)

There! Your general murder kit in 30 volume! Got ample 5 volume to carry whatever else you want! (suggest two molotovs)
I admit to being an efficiency freak.

Infact if you replace things: katana with a (diamond) machete, ditch the pan, the needle (risky) and the telescope, you’ll have even more space.

Playing Armorless is risky business, but most stuff dangerous stuff will die quickly against molotovs and point blank revolver shots, and you have meth to run away. Train dodge to 4 and Corrosive zombies shouldn’t give much problems (hurrah for no dodge penalty!).

So its actually possible to do. Suggest giving it a shot, its rather fun!

Wow, seeing all this, I guess I travel light. Except Mr. Candlebury back there (on page 1). He’s a zombietease in those threads. Cover yourself, you slut! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway.

Kevlar vest: Why? It goes to the ‘close to skin’ layer and it has fairly beefy stats. Most, if not all, other serious armor occupies the ‘normal’ or the ‘outer’ layer. Those layers get crowded easily due to backpacks and other assorted useful gear go there, making the Kevlar vest really attractive IMO.

Raincoat: Why? Reinforced with kevlar, it can take most hits and stay intact. Very effective at keeping you dry. Way lighter than the turnout coat, which I’d love to wear but it’s just too encumbering for my liking.

Head: Leather helmet, later army helmet. But I’m not really picky in the early game. Head protection is crucial. Two turbans make great first headgear. For that human Q-Tip look.

Eyes: Anything with 100% coverage, usually ballistic glasses.

Mouth: Various scarves, depending on the weather.

Hands: Leather gloves or tac gloves are plenty.

Arms: During winters I’ll happily wear 2x neoprene sleeves (they’re warm!) + elbow pads. Summers are trickier but sometimes I just take the heat penalty.

Legs: I used to just wear cargo pants but they got shredded too often. Ergo, leather pants, which are durable, sometimes with cargo SHORTS, which have smaller coverage than the cargo pants, meaning that they get hit less often. And knee pads always.

Feet: Steeltoed boots. Best footwear so far. Unencumbering, durable. Better than combat boots, which is bit odd IMO but I’m not complaining.

Backpack: Kevlar reinforced MOLLE pack eventually, but up until that I’ll happily settle for military rucksack or a leather backpack, which is way more durable than the cloth backpack. I always tend to play with the traits Packmule and Strong Back. They’re a blessing for natural born hoarders and digital hunter-gatherers…

Avoiding: Clothes that cover many body areas. Why? Simply due to their chance of getting hit more often. They get damaged faster, and you lose protection faster on several body areas in one hit. Something that covers torso, arms and legs is bound to get hit every time. Exception might be anything that’s in the ‘close to skin’ layer, as they’re likely protected by other stuff, or the really beefy armor that just never gets damaged. Regardless, I like my armor to come in specific pieces.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:18, topic:11919”]Playing Armorless is risky business, but most stuff dangerous stuff will die quickly against molotovs and point blank revolver shots, and you have meth to run away. Train dodge to 4 and Corrosive zombies shouldn’t give much problems (hurrah for no dodge penalty!).
So its actually possible to do. Suggest giving it a shot, its rather fun![/quote]
i have no doubrs it possible.i played black belt start and seen what man without equipment can shred without getting hit.but alas with my spawn rates i think dogdes are not enoght to take risks.Also i liked your frying pan utility/combat combo lol.
your unarmored powerfull handgun aproach and car in vicinity for some reason evoked remembrance of this scene.though he needs catana/frying pan…

Kevlar vest: Why? It goes to the 'close to skin' layer and it has fairly beefy stats. Most, if not all, other serious armor occupies the 'normal' or the 'outer' layer. Those layers get crowded easily due to backpacks and other assorted useful gear go there, making the Kevlar vest really attractive IMO.
yes,nice protection.i prefer firesuit for its additional enviromental acid protection but maybe i am overdoing it really.gambeson can be also nice early choice but they are really warm and have somewhat low coverage of 80%.tank tops/compression top in most cases for high coverage low warmth.
Raincoat: Why? Reinforced with kevlar, it can take most hits and stay intact. Very effective at keeping you dry. Way lighter than the turnout coat, which I'd love to wear but it's just too encumbering for my liking.
i like to war turnout coat that fits early game as it turns you into tank. ifound raincoat good for rain/minor acid protection reason but it tear too quickly in my liking and need soldering iron to be repaired-lather vests offer good protection of 9/9 for 4 encumbrance i tend to find no brainer for most cases.but when i looked at stats of it now it really looks rain coat is good choice.i may reconsider.
Head: Leather helmet, later army helmet. But I'm not really picky in the early game. Head protection is crucial. Two turbans make great first headgear. For that human Q-Tip look.
yup leather helmet is my choice in emergencies.but usually firefighteer/hard hhat is good find.also bone armor helmet/nomad cowl have nice overall protection.
Eyes: Anything with 100% coverage, usually ballistic glasses.
yup.
Mouth: Various scarves, depending on the weather.
i go for filter mask pretty quickly or nomad cowl/bone helmety+bandanas.i tended to overllok scarves before but they have really nice stats in enviromental protection.
Hands: Leather gloves or tac gloves are plenty.
i find bone armor gauntlets atractive for high protection.but i dont consider hands priority for some reason so i sometimes tend to forgot to replace light gloves.
Arms: During winters I'll happily wear 2x neoprene sleeves (they're warm!) + elbow pads. Summers are trickier but sometimes I just take the heat penalty.
do you use arm guards?i like their blocking ability early game.
Legs: I used to just wear cargo pants but they got shredded too often. Ergo, leather pants, which are durable, sometimes with cargo SHORTS, which have smaller coverage than the cargo pants, meaning that they get hit less often. And knee pads always.
try using shin guards/greaves/chaps as outer layer.they have low encumbrance but high protection coverage which protects pants below.
Feet: Steeltoed boots. Best footwear so far. Unencumbering, durable. Better than combat boots, which is bit odd IMO but I'm not complaining.
i dont tend to take feet encumbrance as improtant as it really influence just running a little but is main target of acid pools hence rubber boots are no brainer to me.steeltoed boots are usally my chocie if no turnout/rubber boots are avaible.if they are not avaible too i use steeltoed.
Backpack: Kevlar reinforced MOLLE pack eventually, but up until that I'll happily settle for military rucksack or a leather backpack, which is way more durable than the cloth backpack. I always tend to play with the traits Packmule and Strong Back. They're a blessing for natural born hoarders and digital hunter-gatherers...
i played with packmule before but i really thinkln ow strong back is more valuable as i tend to armor myself a bit and that takes tool on carrying weight.overencubering in this game is death sentence for it kills stamina so no running.survivor backpac is sturdy low encumbrance high storage volume item i usally make before finding molle pack.
Avoiding: Clothes that cover many body areas. Why? Simply due to their chance of getting hit more often. They get damaged faster, and you lose protection faster on several body areas in one hit. Something that covers torso, arms and legs is bound to get hit every time. Exception might be anything that's in the 'close to skin' layer, as they're likely protected by other stuff, or the really beefy armor that just never gets damaged.
generally i agree but i use several picees as plate /firesuit are sturdy and for some reason nomad gear also takes good punishment andfoffers insane storage and nice protection.