Favorite clothes? Late-game Clothing recommendations?

I’m just getting back into cataclysm and re-figuring out what the best items are for everything. When it comes to clothes though I’m not sure what I should be aiming for. So I’m wondering what your recommendations are for Mid/Late game clothing items that I should be on the look for, or trying to craft. Is survivor gear the best (short of power armor of course)? Is there particular gear that I should be looking for? I’m looking for something that’s possible to melee in, not too worried about lot’s of storage space, but very concerned about being gunned down by random npcs. I’m also constantly getting wet penalties and unsure what’s the best way to deal with that. It’s probably impossible to get a perfect complete outfit as the weather and temperature is constantly changing, but if you have anything close to that, that would also be super helpful too!

heavy survivor helmet for head.heavy survivor mask for mouth eyes.water proof.

plate armor + survivor wetsuti+kevlar vest=high physical protection+acid immunity basically with managable encumberance and protection from rain because of wetsut though you will get chilly in winter and which point you may use additional long underwear for warmth.plate is outer layer while wetsuit normal and kevlar vest near skin so thez dont conflict.but this combination wont protect you from serious gunpower though it will mitigate some damage so so you may go for heavy survivor suit though it have pretty low acid protection but substantially higher cutting (bullet) protection though its encumbrance is higher than previous mentioned combination.

survivor fireboots+ fire resistant socks-acid immunity for feet.alčthough rubber boots do job extremelz well.also waterroof.

Heavy armor is the way to go for all the slot. It protect you from nearly anything beside very hight dmg and pain.

You are just left to get some bandage to deal with acid and eventually electricity if you do not have a CBM, or even maybe against hulk throw if you aren’t skilled enough to kill him before he act.

if you go in an hospital though, swap for a thermos/wet survivor gear to get immune acid for the legs.

the lost in speed is really worth it.

for the wet penalties, wearing stuff with 100% coverage (like the survivor gear) with the tag against wet solve this. You can also look for a CBM to help you against the cold/hot ; if you have low power, use it only when required in fight to avoid being slowed down.

kevlar vest isn’t that much useful later as it doesn’t have 100% coverage. Plate armor is decent but too heavy for what it does.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the item browser is very out of date. Clothing protection has changed significantly since it was updated. Items have very different protection values relative to each other. It’s hard to cross reference if I"m making the best choices, but right now my character is wearing this armor:

Light Survivor Suit
MBR vest (Kevlar plates) <- only 85% coverage
Chitin arm guards <- only 90% coverage
Survivor cargo Pants
Survivor helmet

I don’t see much point in stacking protection since if you already have some type of weapon with blocking or parrying and some elbow/knee pads and maybe some hard arm guards you can basically tank anything in melee.

If you’re afraid of getting shot then put on some power armor or a bunch of kevlar reinforced gear.

Heavy Survivor Helmet > Army Helmet > Tactical Helmet
Head Torch
Helmet Liner
Helmet Netting (i think you gain storage and can attach some small stuff in it?)
Fur Scarf (loose) (if it’s cold)
Sunglasses > Safety Glasses
Survivor Mask / Rebreather > Filter Mask (face stuff is situational because it’s cumbersome)
Survivor Pack + Survivor Duffel Bag in inventory
Light Survivor Harness
Survivor Trenchcoat > Light Survivor Suit + remove Survivor Cargo Shorts
Metal Arm Guards > Chitin Arm Guards > Hard Arm Guards
Knee Pads + Elbow Pads
Glove Liner
Tactical Gloves > Fingerless Armored Gloves
Survivor Cargo Pants + Survivor Cargo Shorts
Fast Draw Holster + Ankle Holster
Drop Leg Pouches x2
Fanny Pack (not sure if they stack anymore with belts?)
Survival Belt > Firefighter Belt > Tool Belt
Flame-Resistant Socks
Survivor Fire Boots > Rubber Boots > Chitin Boots > Heavy Survivor Boots
Hip Flask
Hydration Pack (i think that’s what it was called, basically a camelback filled with liquid at 0 enc, can carry a lot of booze)
Wrist Watch
Injection system thingie for drug boost

Put a steak knife or a hunting knife your boots to butcher things or just as an emergency weapon/projectile.
You can attach a hatchet/crowbar/halligan bar in your belt and some other things but that’s up to you.
The holsters are for handcannons (elephant gun or rivtech) or autopistols in case of emergency or just versatility like shooting a gas tank, sometimes they can accommodate SMG’s or shotguns.
The harness can carry a small volume gun with folding stock like SCAR-H or Saiga-12.

There’s a bunch of other stuff but this build is pretty rounded and can handle most things.
Oh and if you’re worried about getting wet in the rain then use an umbrella.

[quote=“Pandromidal, post:4, topic:12246”]Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the item browser is very out of date. Clothing protection has changed significantly since it was updated. Items have very different protection values relative to each other. It’s hard to cross reference if I"m making the best choices, but right now my character is wearing this armor:

Light Survivor Suit
MBR vest (Kevlar plates) <- only 85% coverage
Chitin arm guards <- only 90% coverage
Survivor cargo Pants
Survivor helmet[/quote]

If you open up the debug menu in game followed by the wish menu, you can see current stats for the items in question.

If you’re going low encumbrance, I would recommend looking into a kevlar vest. Additionally, use the best most protective helm that you can find, as head encumbrance does nothing. If I was really afraid of getting my character’s brains splayed out across the pavement, I would go heavy survivor helmet + survivor hood. I looked into the arm and leg guards, too. Chitin, Metal, and hard (plastic) all stood out as viable options when I perused them. I am more drawn to metal for factors that I list in regards to the benefits of heavy armor in the following paragraph. The survivor suit + cargo pants is going to have same layer encumbrance incompatibility, and it may cause it to shoot through the roof. I know that survivor trenchcoat/duster are two great options for layering torso + arm defense as they occupy the outer layer while the suit occupies normal.

For me, personally, I go heavy everything. In ice labs, I go winter everything + thermal electric. In hospitals, I go firesuit (acid protection). I don’t go fishing, but I would with survivor wetsuit. I don’t have experience with radiation resistant armor. From my own experience, heavy armor has been the best for me. Light gets destroyed if you catch on fire. Leather is less plentiful than metal, so repairs are more difficult. 9mm mostly bounce off of the heavy suit, while the (normal) survivor armor takes damage (I think). To repair the metal suit, you need a soldering iron, which can easily be outfitted with a ups comp. mod, so that you never have to worry about batteries/thread again (for the major source of armor, anyway).

What about boots? I can’t find anything with full acid protection anymore, not even rubber boots.

rubber boots are quite good but i think thzez need boost from fire resistant socks for complete immunitz but zou must combine them with adequate protection for legs also

In the 0.C experimentals there is a rating for armor against acid. Acid protection protects against acid attacks and standing in acid fields.

You need 5 acid resistance total on both feet and legs to avoid all direct acid damage from acid fields. To gain total immunity to acid fields, you will also need 15 environmental resistance on both feet and legs to avoid the damage over time effect.

Wearing Turnout boots seemed to suit for me. Survivor Fireboots would also work as well.

Bear in mind that for Acid Protection, the Acidic Zombies now puke directly onto you, not just your legs and feet. I’ve experienced a DoT effect from when an acidic zambie vomited onto my Torso on it’s first turn of combat.

Last time i played I was using some fireproof sock, they had a decent acid protection/100% coverage and you can stack them with other gear.