How does trunk and box storage work?

is it weight, volume, or a 75 item limit?

Try to fit as many things you can cram in there. I’ve never ran out of space in a car trunk.

Depends. Trunks do have a volume limit of something like 4000, boxes have less storage. There’s no actual item limit anymore.

ok that’s nice, i was wondering why i was able to fit more in than usual.

They have both an item limit and a volume limit, but the item limit is so high that the volume limit is practically the only thing that matters.

You’ll have a hard time getting 62^3 (roughly IIRC) different items in any game, ever.

Yeah.
So, how do you put an elephant in the fridge?

1. Open Fridge Door,
  2. Put Elephant In,
  3. Close Fridge Door.

Since we don’t have working refridgeration in Cataclysm, here’s what we could do:
How do you put an elephant into a trunk tile in Cataclysm?

1. Press “/” for AdvInvMngmnt,
  2. Move the elephant onto the trunk tile,
  3. Press ESC or “q”.

They greater limitation is volume, i think the most they can hold is the volume occupied by 20 steel jerrycans, a lot actually

From my lumberjack days I think that the limit for trunk storage is somewhere in the region of 500, IIRC. I would go check this to make sure.

Actually both boxes and trunks can hold a max volume of 2000

How can I store stuff in counters/bookcases that I built in my base?

Stand next to one and press ‘D’ then direction of furniture. (EDIT: to be clear that is shift+d)

Actually both boxes and trunks can hold a max volume of 2000[/quote]
In what version? I’m playing the stable release, and there is a limit of 500 volume for trunks, and 1000 for ground tiles. (Easy to see through the [/] advanced inventory management, it lists exactly how much volume and weight is in a location.)

In what version? I’m playing the stable release, and there is a limit of 500 volume for trunks, and 1000 for ground tiles. (Easy to see through the [/] advanced inventory management, it lists exactly how much volume and weight is in a location.)[/quote]i myself am playing one of the nightly builds, and i’d keep up to date if there was a way to keep my saves.

In what version? I’m playing the stable release, and there is a limit of 500 volume for trunks, and 1000 for ground tiles. (Easy to see through the [/] advanced inventory management, it lists exactly how much volume and weight is in a location.)[/quote]

Well, i am playing yesterdays nightly build

In what version? I’m playing the stable release, and there is a limit of 500 volume for trunks, and 1000 for ground tiles. (Easy to see through the [/] advanced inventory management, it lists exactly how much volume and weight is in a location.)[/quote]

Well, i am playing yesterdays nightly build[/quote]
Huh. That’s a huge increase.