Hoarding / Stockpiles

What is the best way you have found to store all your loot? Right now I’m dumping it all in an 8 square cube I can stand in the middle of for crafting. Using the “/” inventory and hitting “A” allows me to "F"ind specific items. I heard someone mention there is a limit to pile size though. Guess I haven’t hit it yet. Now that I think about it I guess I could go outward one more tile since crafting searches two tiles away.

XXXXX XXXXX XX@XX XXXXX XXXXX

There is effectively no limit to pile size unless you’re placing things in a trunk.

Personally I pre-sort it into different piles- electronics, drugs/meds, food, clothing, generic craftables, weaponry, tools, etc.

I’ve recently made the transition to a mobile lifestyle, and that comes with space restraints, (the way I did it at least). So I tend to keep 20x generic craftables, 3-5x individual food items and more obcure/bulky craftables.

Organized myself into 6 trunks + temporary overflow storage in my bed. Having to retrieve everything from their trunks and organizing stuff is still a pain, but, worth it in the end- picking up all of a single item and dropping them all at once makes it really easy to find.

Recently, I’ve been pulling shopping carts in from town and using them for storage. It’s not as much of an eyesore, you can label them as their respective carts, and I can just pull the ‘tools’ cart to the other carts to craft.

If I ever decide to move, it shouldn’t be too tough to move everything into one cart w/ the Advanced Inventory Manager. I do know carts have a limit, but it’s a very large amount, so if I’m above it I can just weld a few carts together and call it a day.

Trunks have a limit?

Yeah, I’m not sure if it’s volume or weight based though. I was trying to load logs into the back of a pickup and it was filled after about a page and a half.

if anyone wants to do some science, the ‘capacity’ stat for boxes & trunks is 400. Fill one up, do math for weight/volume.

Your going to hit the 56 character cap before hitting the volume limit unless you are storing metal frames or someshit like that.

Character limit doesn’t exist anymore- can’t do the math atm, but with the (’) key it can add items into the double-digits of a (what? Base-60?) Number system.

Yeah, I’m not sure if it’s volume or weight based though. I was trying to load logs into the back of a pickup and it was filled after about a page and a half.[/quote]

Definitely only volume based. With a single floor trunk tile, I managed to fill it with only 2 steel jerry cans an aluminum keg. Whether any or all of those containers were full of liquids or not made no difference (and trust me, an aluminum keg in this game is oppressively heavy when full).

I think there is a limit, but I’ve only hit it with overly bulky items like logs and steel frames and such.

100 logs per tile basically, or 4000 volume.

That sounds 10x too much.

My count was 405 volume (which is within error…)

Yeah, tell me about it. Mostly my loot trunks are full of small, high-value items (aside for one or two filled with tools and spare wheels) but god… the labelling for the ones at the end… ~.~ `akj

I basically do the same thing as OP. My safehouse has piles placed near enough to one another to allow me to craft ALL THE THINGS in one go. I’ll get around to building some furniture to store the stuff on just so it looks better to me soon.

My RV has some basic on-the-go necessities stuffed in it, foodstuffs, tools, medical supplies, and spare parts for the RV itself. I try to keep as much space free when I go out so that I can stuff it full of valuable loot. Mmm yes all these packed rocket launchers and military equipment get in muh trunks.

the problem with unlimited dumps is that they are not sorted or even in alphabetical order. So cycling through these monster lists is a hassle. Plus you run out of key mappings and have to hit things like `ssaba and doing that for several things gets old. Id like to see some kind of tabs with categories.

Its easier to have locations of thins and always do it the same way. For me its…

top of shelter: medical stuff in couple different stacks (drugs are separate from first aid and pain killers are separate).
right: food items. I keep the items i need to purify water with empty water bottles on a separate drop. When i get too many bottles, ill keep matches and pot in a separate pile. separate pile for non-perishable foods.

i tend to dump all my craftables in one close area so i dont have to find stuff to craft. however, things i can dissassemble i separate, so i can pick them up easier

stuff like this…

Like I mentioned in the other thread, if you start using the “/” advanced inventory screen for gigantic piles it’ll take some of the hassle out of it.

Alternatively, break those giant piles down into piles divided by category. It’s kinda fitting that a gigantic pile of stuff is kind-of a pain in the butt to dig around in. The farthest I’ve ever gotten in a single pile is into the xx range. You have piles into thexxxxx range? Sort that stuff!

[quote=“An0n3, post:15, topic:3272”]Like I mentioned in the other thread, if you start using the “/” advanced inventory screen for gigantic piles it’ll take some of the hassle out of it.

Alternatively, break those giant piles down into piles divided by category. It’s kinda fitting that a gigantic pile of stuff is kind-of a pain in the butt to dig around in. The farthest I’ve ever gotten in a single pile is into the xx range. You have piles into thexxxxx range? Sort that stuff![/quote]

For that many items, it’d take hours.