How do you guys play without some savescumming?

You saying it doesn’t make it true. I literally design the game to revolve around realism.

Yes, I can. It’s a ridiculous thing to do especially after it killed you.

So I’m hearing leave turrets exactly the same and make everything else more dangerous.

4 Likes

i’d literally never play without it.
might just be my settings.

the only thing i’m asserting here is that turrets feel like they’re cheating, literally (for the most part) nothing else in the game is as bullshit and out of line with the rest of the difficulty curve, that’s all.

it can’t even be fought using conventional means, i have no clue how that’s NOT cheating.

1 Like

Define “conventional means” in relation to combat.

conventional means means it can be fought the way anything else can, in melee for me personally, special treatment means it needs handling outside of conventional means.

So you melee tank drones, chicken walkers, military robots, defence robots, gun wielding bandits etc etc?

And again, I’ll point out. Even without particularly rare components you can make armour that allows you to melee 9mm turrets if you really want to.

i’ve honestly never met a gun wielding bandit, unless you mean a hostile NPC (AKA free food), the other stuff is pretty easily avoided and spawns randomly.

for what it’s worth, i’d probably park the semi within range and let it’s laser cannon deal with the vast majority of those however.

You are making my point for me, you don’t melee those. You use a ranged weapon to deal with them because it’s the sensible thing to do, you just need to apply this to dealing with turrets (which are significantly less dangerous as they don’t move)

Bandit towers are full to the brim with gun wielding bandits from what I’ve seen, and the ones I fought were armed with M4A1 rifles more then anything else, which are far more dangerous then 9mm guns.

1 Like

Users can set their own difficulty. It sounds as though you haven’t set yours correctly.

Try a different scenario. If you use stats through skills then perhaps you also need skill rust or to increase the evolution factor (turrets don’t evolve so that should bring everything on par).

Hey, evolving turrets. Now there’s a good idea…

2 Likes

@Mantar

Yeah, i was curious about late game.

I don’t really know how to explain this but i never met a chicken walker and i played games where i survived more than one year, maybe i have just been “lucky” this whole time ? I don’t know.

I never died to a tank drone, i don’t remember a situation where after seeing one i couldn’t just go away and avoid the confrontation altogether or i wasn’t in a vehicle that made me just step on the gas to kill him.

Turrets don’t chase you, so the only way to get killed is to blunder into them without enough movement points to back up a square before getting shot.

I am not proud of it but that’s what happens to me.

Usually it is month 3 or 4 of my character’s life, i can now kill everything i met in a day to day basis with relative ease, i get bored and careless, then suddenly a genius idea comes though my mind.

Lets explore a lab/bunker/something !

I get killed by a turret the next day.

So you see the current health system as a work-in-progress ? I don’t understand.

So I’m hearing leave turrets exactly the same and make everything else more dangerous.

That’s a way to solve it, yes, i wouldn’t say everything else but at least what you consider to be the end-game enemies apart from the tank drone and the chicken walker.

@Stevepunk

or to increase the evolution factor

Hey, that’s actually a great idea, i will do that on my next character.

I’m can’t recall where, but I think there’s been talk of moving to an injury-based health system, rather than the hit point based system we currently have. Don’t recall the details though

1 Like

evolving turrets? but i thought “magical” science like nanomachines and such are strictly off limits, not sure what else would really be able to significantly improve a turret over it’s baseline without literally replacing the guts/workings either.

you could say software updates, maybe? if desperate and handwave the reasoning behind some being out of date due to… well… frankly, did the cataclysm ever develop a proper internet? it seems to be still around the early 80s-90s technology wise to my eyes in that regard.

show me one single person with a non-portable personal computer that isn’t a console, it doesn’t exist in game, computers are a luxury above all others in this world, that much is clear.

don’t even get me started on wifi, they don’t seem to have any sophisticated wireless connection types in game at all, only simplistic RC controllers.

1 Like

Easy. Machine learning.
It’s grounded in reality. Current technology.
As to why you would want machine learning in a turret, govts were desperate to stop the spread of the outbreak. By the end they would try anything. Grasping at straws. Remember that some facilities were nuked to stop outbreaks.

The suggestion was actually a joke but now that we’re discussing it I think it fits.

so, KARR then? i mean, sure machine learning is one thing, but wouldn’t that be crossing the boundary into self programming, not just learning?

edit: damn me, now i want a monster for crazy cataclysm that is 100% beyond any and all shadow of a doubt impossible to implement from what i understand.

Could be as simple as improvements to dispersion over time (due to time spent tracking targets/environment). Starting lower than standard then ending higher.

Doesn’t make sense to have them get better by firing as they all have limited ammo.

the problem i see with that method is would you be able to beat the turret after running away from it once or twice since you’ve given it more practice.

it certainly probably wouldn’t be realistic for it to take as long to train the skill as the PC.

My only turret gripe is the absurd placement of turrets in a lab, that do not protect anything at all.

Walking around a benign corner to get murdered is something damn mean spirited and piss poor design. Those turrets that are stationed in the middle a n open space behind a fence. They serve no purpose at all save to piss on the player. It is less realistic and annoying. Kinda like stashing gun turrets in a toilet bowl for a “SURPRISE B!T*H!!! pew pew pew!! ” dick move…

7 Likes

The ones at the enterance, and in armouries make sense. Especially as they only exist if you break in, being removed if the door is either hacked or opened with a keycard. Maybe if there was more placement like that it would be a bit better.

4 Likes

This I completely agree with. I have no problem with a logic to something. Even the road blocks kinda make sense. We do not know what was the threat for that defense. But propping turrets in areas for random murder is illogical.

1 Like

I agree with this too, my thinking is that more than anything else Turrets would have been a deterant, largely, not /actually/ expected to murder people in many situations.

Though, having said that, we don’t actually know when or under what siutation they were deployed.

Just wanna throw out there it would take like 45 seconds to make a “No Turrets” blacklist mod.

And for the original topic: Sometimes I save scum and sometimes I don’t. This is usually something I decide before I start. Sometimes I generate a world on default settings, use few or no mods, and commit to dying whenever I die. Other times I generate worlds with weird settings, easier or harder options, lots of mods, and just do whatever I feel like including scumming when I die.

One of the reasons I love CDDA so much is that it’s always the kind of game I want to play because I can just mod it (or not). It’s the same reason I have way too many hours into Skyrim, New Vegas, and Fallout 4; they’re always new and always custom tailored to be fun for me through the magic of mods.

2 Likes