How do I stop the fungus?

I agree. Maybe a weapon similar to the flamethrower that works much like the regular one, except it is loaded with the anti fungal liquid(?) and creates a 3x3 tile aoe made of anti fungal gas. The gas could then be spreading like smoke or toxic clouds and where it touches the fungus, it reverts to the original state, thereby removing fungal beds and killing other fungus creatures. It would then just dissipate.[/quote]

i like this idea, post it to the drawboard though :slight_smile:

I agree. Maybe a weapon similar to the flamethrower that works much like the regular one, except it is loaded with the anti fungal liquid(?) and creates a 3x3 tile aoe made of anti fungal gas. The gas could then be spreading like smoke or toxic clouds and where it touches the fungus, it reverts to the original state, thereby removing fungal beds and killing other fungus creatures. It would then just dissipate.[/quote]

This, a thousand times this.

i like this idea, post it to the drawboard though :)[/quote]

gotcha :slight_smile:

Once NPCs have become more refined it would be nice to send them on anti-mycus missions. Pick a map tile, and they’ll patrol around it removing all fungaloids and fungal terrain in the area over time. Just have them properly equipped and voila, or something.

I should post that mod I mentioned sometime. @_@

Basically went like this:

[
{
“type”: “MOD_INFO”,
“mod-type”: “SUPPLEMENTAL”,
“ident”: “No_fungi”,
“name”: “No Fungi”,
“author”: “Chaosvolt”,
“description”: “Removes fungal monsters.”,
“path”: “modinfo.json”
},
{
“type”: “MONSTER_BLACKLIST”,
“categories”: [
“GROUP_FUNGI”,
“GROUP_FUNGI_TOWER”,
“GROUP_FUNGI_FLOWERS”
]
},
{
“type”: “MONSTER_BLACKLIST”,
“monsters”: [
“mon_fungaloid”,
“mon_fungaloid_young”,
“mon_zombie_fungus”,
“mon_boomer_fungus”,
“mon_fungaloid_seeder”,
“mon_fungal_wall”,
“mon_fungaloid_queen”,
“mon_fungal_hedgerow”,
“mon_fungaloid_tower”,
“mon_spore”,
“mon_ant_fungus”,
“mon_fungal_tendril”,
“mon_fungal_blossom”
]
}
]

[quote=“skYman, post:30, topic:9906”]So after turning my shelter into rubble due to too generous usage of my flammable helpers I decided to move on.

And now I went from Fungus-country to Antropolis… 3 Anthills within 10 map tiles of each other? RNGesus surely had his fun when he created this world…[/quote]

I hate ants more than I hate the fungi. I’ve wrecked at least two motorbikes driving through these filthy buggers.
A very satisfying scenario is when there is a missile silo nearby. Guess where the missile went once I made it to the starting button? Right to the bloody fungal bloom.

Oh and by the way. Saw today the fungi literally WASTING a moose, reducing it to nothing. Is that normal?

I’ll try that just because I’m a fat cheat. And because it looks promising.

Trust me, it is glorious. Just bring decent strength and plenty of volume for carrying. <3

Get time stop cbm
---->
stack up insane amounts of energy
----->
activate and kill of all fungi in the reality bubble within the next 6 seconds
---->
?
---->
profit

[quote=“Valpo, post:48, topic:9906”]Get time stop cbm
---->
stack up insane amounts of energy
----->
activate and kill of all fungi in the reality bubble within the next 6 seconds
---->
?
---->
profit[/quote]

“Omae wa mou shindeiru.”

Lore wise actually the fungal population shouldn’t be tied to the spire at all (or rather, having a spire should make it increase faster, but not having a spire shouldn’t destroy it).

Ideally the end “fungal progression” (and how to stop it) should eventually look something like this based on the lore:

1. A single small-medium patch (on the overmap) of Fungalized terrain is on the map at the start of the game (or a larger one if it’s a new overmap and you are just now generating it after a few seasons). Fungaloids now spread and duplicate much slower, but they do so all of the time, regardless of if you are there or not. Ideally fungaloid monster counts will be directly tied to the size of the fungal patch, the bigger the patch is the more fungal monsters are there.

2. Over time the patch spreads, “Fungalizing” nearby terrain. This can be stopped by rivers, or slowed (or sped up) by certain types of terrain. Ideally it will also be possible for it to be slowed or completely stopped upon reaching areas influenced by other monster factions, such as heavy blob or triffid areas, or a cluster of NPC villages. Players can stop them at or before this point by simply burning away all the fungal terrain (which at that point should cause the fungaloids themselves to ideally burst into flames for the most part), and which would revert the overmap terrain to a normal old plains tile or something similar. Occasionally fungal blossoms or other “lesser” fungal overmap locations will be created that are immune to fire and have to be manually destroyed through other means. (And such locations should eventually send out specialized “fire fighter” horde groups that work to put out fires in more distant locations).

3. Once the patch has grown large enough it begins to create a large fungal spire (a building) made of a near-stonelike material that is immune to fire and regenerates quickly (thus stopping you from just blasting it down with explosives). The height of the spire is dependent upon the size of the fungal patch and as it grows it greatly increases the speed at which the fungal patch can spread. It can be stopped, however, by climbing up the inside of the tower to reach the area near the top where the growth is still new. This area is still vulnerable to fire, and burns well enough that it’ll take down the whole spire (and most of the nearby fungal terrain) with it.

As a result destroying a smaller fungaloid patch is just a matter of burning it to the ground. Larger patches might require you to first penetrate the patch and destroy any large fungaloid fire resistant manually first, then burn the whole thing to the ground. The largest areas will require you to penetrate the patch and wipe out the larger fungaloid fire resistant areas to stop the fire fighter groups, then take on the spire itself. Should you not take on the fire-resistant areas before the spire you will still deal a grievous blow to the fungaloids to buy yourself some time, but they should quickly stop the fire before it spreads to far and quickly erect a new spire once they’ve filled in the hole you made. You’ll need to fight your way up the spire through the ranks of fungaloids to the very top, where you’ll finally be able to light a fire. At that point you have to race down and away from the spire, fire on your heels with the fungal army perishing around you (or if we ever get hang gliders, etc. you might be able to just jump and glide away). Lit from the center, with their army dying en-masse, and with no fire-fighting squads left alive to counter the blaze pretty much the whole patch should burn to the ground, eradicating that particular patch once and for all (of course doing so might let in more active groups like the triffids :P). At an absolute worst case you may need to stop by in a week or so and burn up any last remaining tiny fungal areas that miraculously survived the blaze, but for the most part at that point you should have defeated that particular patch.

(What? You were expecting something easier? Bah! This is a war, and if we’re going to give you a “push this button to win” option against them then it’s going to be behind a suitable number of barriers! Ahahahahahaha! :wink: )

Additionally once we have working portals and multiple worlds then very rarely you should be able to find a fungal portal hidden where the spire was after you burn it to the ground. This would then let you take the fight back to the one of the fungalized worlds, where you could spend the rest of your days crusading against the fungal menace to make an (unnoticeable) dent in their mighty empire. Or maybe you’ll build a fortress around the portal, man it with a handful of NPC’s, and prevent the fungal menace from ever entering through that area again (which it will do if it can eventually) while you go off crusading against other menaces in the current world, destroying or locking them out one at a time! Just make sure not to employ any of those marlossified traitors in your fortress guard, lest they release the fungus once again from that location to encroach upon the world!

Jesus, torture-simulator 2017 much? :stuck_out_tongue:

Or like I said, there’s always modding. owo

Tbh I’d feel like I’m missing out on something when I just make them disappear by oog-means. And I think they are a really nice addition to the game. I also want to fight these suckers, but I dont want to fight a senseless battle.

Understandable, but as annoying as they can be… :V

Hey, you’re the one who’s trying to eradicate an entire extradimensional empire that spans solar systems by yourself. This isn’t exactly a game that is set up for “winning”, after all. :stuck_out_tongue: (And through NPC or other faction stuff you should be able to lock them out of an area completely through a dedicated effort.)

I would also like to point out that along with this should come a lot more ways for surviving in a fungalized area to become viable, it should totally be possible for the player and NPC’s to just let the fungaloids spread and survive within their area through a combination of full body coverage and trickery, even without becoming a fungalized mutant. And by limiting the spread of fungaloids to the size of the patch you shouldn’t suffer from the “the entire screen is full of fungaloids!” issue either.

And yeah, in a worst case we’re always going to try to let you mod as much of it as possible should you desire to do so.

Hey, you’re the one who’s trying to eradicate an entire extradimensional empire that spans solar systems by yourself. This isn’t exactly a game that is set up for “winning”, after all. :P[/quote]

I guess it’s just my human arrogance that leads me to think that it could actually work.

But that just gave me an idea… how about adding insult to injury and constructing the new shelter in the midst of the burnt down spire? :smiley:

A new shelter would be hilarious, and as long as you convince an NPC to stay there and occasionally burn off the portal room then even if it’s one of the ones with a portal it should keep them from breaking through again.

Heck, it would be really cool to eventually be able to create your entire own NPC town that specialized in harnessing, hunting, and exporting the useful (but not dangerous) bits of fungal creatures from the other side of the portal. :slight_smile:

Dooo iiit.

Also, if you don’t have experimental z-levels enabled, you can also opt for retreating underground. :V

First you need to mod in oxygen production and a difference between air with spores and without spores. That way you could set up human biodomes. And only go outside using an airlock.

But that would quickly turn into a totally different game.

I wonder if fungaloids can be used to brew dwarven wine…