How do I stop the fungus?

Portals, huh?

The mission is clear then. Open up the portal to the fungal worlds, and then on those worlds open another portal to the SUN!

And what if they simply manage to fungify the sun? ;w;

Find bigger sun.

How’d that look? A giant glowing mushroom? :smiley:

btw grats to 1500 and 777 posts respectively \o/

The sun is made of pure fire and plasma, which is like a better kind of fire… The Fungal supermen that such an environment would breed are the stuff of nightmares.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:50, topic:9906”][spoiler]
Lore wise actually the fungal population shouldn’t be tied to the spire at all (or rather, having a spire should make it increase faster, but not having a spire shouldn’t destroy it).

Ideally the end “fungal progression” (and how to stop it) should eventually look something like this based on the lore:

1. A single small-medium patch (on the overmap) of Fungalized terrain is on the map at the start of the game (or a larger one if it’s a new overmap and you are just now generating it after a few seasons). Fungaloids now spread and duplicate much slower, but they do so all of the time, regardless of if you are there or not. Ideally fungaloid monster counts will be directly tied to the size of the fungal patch, the bigger the patch is the more fungal monsters are there.

2. Over time the patch spreads, “Fungalizing” nearby terrain. This can be stopped by rivers, or slowed (or sped up) by certain types of terrain. Ideally it will also be possible for it to be slowed or completely stopped upon reaching areas influenced by other monster factions, such as heavy blob or triffid areas, or a cluster of NPC villages. Players can stop them at or before this point by simply burning away all the fungal terrain (which at that point should cause the fungaloids themselves to ideally burst into flames for the most part), and which would revert the overmap terrain to a normal old plains tile or something similar. Occasionally fungal blossoms or other “lesser” fungal overmap locations will be created that are immune to fire and have to be manually destroyed through other means. (And such locations should eventually send out specialized “fire fighter” horde groups that work to put out fires in more distant locations).

3. Once the patch has grown large enough it begins to create a large fungal spire (a building) made of a near-stonelike material that is immune to fire and regenerates quickly (thus stopping you from just blasting it down with explosives). The height of the spire is dependent upon the size of the fungal patch and as it grows it greatly increases the speed at which the fungal patch can spread. It can be stopped, however, by climbing up the inside of the tower to reach the area near the top where the growth is still new. This area is still vulnerable to fire, and burns well enough that it’ll take down the whole spire (and most of the nearby fungal terrain) with it.

As a result destroying a smaller fungaloid patch is just a matter of burning it to the ground. Larger patches might require you to first penetrate the patch and destroy any large fungaloid fire resistant manually first, then burn the whole thing to the ground. The largest areas will require you to penetrate the patch and wipe out the larger fungaloid fire resistant areas to stop the fire fighter groups, then take on the spire itself. Should you not take on the fire-resistant areas before the spire you will still deal a grievous blow to the fungaloids to buy yourself some time, but they should quickly stop the fire before it spreads to far and quickly erect a new spire once they’ve filled in the hole you made. You’ll need to fight your way up the spire through the ranks of fungaloids to the very top, where you’ll finally be able to light a fire. At that point you have to race down and away from the spire, fire on your heels with the fungal army perishing around you (or if we ever get hang gliders, etc. you might be able to just jump and glide away). Lit from the center, with their army dying en-masse, and with no fire-fighting squads left alive to counter the blaze pretty much the whole patch should burn to the ground, eradicating that particular patch once and for all (of course doing so might let in more active groups like the triffids :P). At an absolute worst case you may need to stop by in a week or so and burn up any last remaining tiny fungal areas that miraculously survived the blaze, but for the most part at that point you should have defeated that particular patch.

(What? You were expecting something easier? Bah! This is a war, and if we’re going to give you a “push this button to win” option against them then it’s going to be behind a suitable number of barriers! Ahahahahahaha! :wink: )

Additionally once we have working portals and multiple worlds then very rarely you should be able to find a fungal portal hidden where the spire was after you burn it to the ground. This would then let you take the fight back to the one of the fungalized worlds, where you could spend the rest of your days crusading against the fungal menace to make an (unnoticeable) dent in their mighty empire. Or maybe you’ll build a fortress around the portal, man it with a handful of NPC’s, and prevent the fungal menace from ever entering through that area again (which it will do if it can eventually) while you go off crusading against other menaces in the current world, destroying or locking them out one at a time! Just make sure not to employ any of those marlossified traitors in your fortress guard, lest they release the fungus once again from that location to encroach upon the world![/spoiler][/quote]

Its reading that stuff like this is planned for CDDA that really gets me hyped for the future. You guys have done so much already and I just think it’s amazing that it’s all just the tip of an even larger iceberg.

i2amroy those are some great idea . I realy love all of it.
Torture simulator? Yes i want it!!! I need it !!! :3

10/10 can t wait to start suffering.

The ultimate victory. Something similar to those Planescape: Torment ‘I managed to die whilst being immortal’ endings.

You know what I’d like to see in this game too? The bloody Combine from HL2.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:50, topic:9906”][spoiler]
Lore wise actually the fungal population shouldn’t be tied to the spire at all (or rather, having a spire should make it increase faster, but not having a spire shouldn’t destroy it).

Ideally the end “fungal progression” (and how to stop it) should eventually look something like this based on the lore:

1. A single small-medium patch (on the overmap) of Fungalized terrain is on the map at the start of the game (or a larger one if it’s a new overmap and you are just now generating it after a few seasons). Fungaloids now spread and duplicate much slower, but they do so all of the time, regardless of if you are there or not. Ideally fungaloid monster counts will be directly tied to the size of the fungal patch, the bigger the patch is the more fungal monsters are there.

2. Over time the patch spreads, “Fungalizing” nearby terrain. This can be stopped by rivers, or slowed (or sped up) by certain types of terrain. Ideally it will also be possible for it to be slowed or completely stopped upon reaching areas influenced by other monster factions, such as heavy blob or triffid areas, or a cluster of NPC villages. Players can stop them at or before this point by simply burning away all the fungal terrain (which at that point should cause the fungaloids themselves to ideally burst into flames for the most part), and which would revert the overmap terrain to a normal old plains tile or something similar. Occasionally fungal blossoms or other “lesser” fungal overmap locations will be created that are immune to fire and have to be manually destroyed through other means. (And such locations should eventually send out specialized “fire fighter” horde groups that work to put out fires in more distant locations).

3. Once the patch has grown large enough it begins to create a large fungal spire (a building) made of a near-stonelike material that is immune to fire and regenerates quickly (thus stopping you from just blasting it down with explosives). The height of the spire is dependent upon the size of the fungal patch and as it grows it greatly increases the speed at which the fungal patch can spread. It can be stopped, however, by climbing up the inside of the tower to reach the area near the top where the growth is still new. This area is still vulnerable to fire, and burns well enough that it’ll take down the whole spire (and most of the nearby fungal terrain) with it.

As a result destroying a smaller fungaloid patch is just a matter of burning it to the ground. Larger patches might require you to first penetrate the patch and destroy any large fungaloid fire resistant manually first, then burn the whole thing to the ground. The largest areas will require you to penetrate the patch and wipe out the larger fungaloid fire resistant areas to stop the fire fighter groups, then take on the spire itself. Should you not take on the fire-resistant areas before the spire you will still deal a grievous blow to the fungaloids to buy yourself some time, but they should quickly stop the fire before it spreads to far and quickly erect a new spire once they’ve filled in the hole you made. You’ll need to fight your way up the spire through the ranks of fungaloids to the very top, where you’ll finally be able to light a fire. At that point you have to race down and away from the spire, fire on your heels with the fungal army perishing around you (or if we ever get hang gliders, etc. you might be able to just jump and glide away). Lit from the center, with their army dying en-masse, and with no fire-fighting squads left alive to counter the blaze pretty much the whole patch should burn to the ground, eradicating that particular patch once and for all (of course doing so might let in more active groups like the triffids :P). At an absolute worst case you may need to stop by in a week or so and burn up any last remaining tiny fungal areas that miraculously survived the blaze, but for the most part at that point you should have defeated that particular patch.

(What? You were expecting something easier? Bah! This is a war, and if we’re going to give you a “push this button to win” option against them then it’s going to be behind a suitable number of barriers! Ahahahahahaha! :wink: )

Additionally once we have working portals and multiple worlds then very rarely you should be able to find a fungal portal hidden where the spire was after you burn it to the ground. This would then let you take the fight back to the one of the fungalized worlds, where you could spend the rest of your days crusading against the fungal menace to make an (unnoticeable) dent in their mighty empire. Or maybe you’ll build a fortress around the portal, man it with a handful of NPC’s, and prevent the fungal menace from ever entering through that area again (which it will do if it can eventually) while you go off crusading against other menaces in the current world, destroying or locking them out one at a time! Just make sure not to employ any of those marlossified traitors in your fortress guard, lest they release the fungus once again from that location to encroach upon the world![/spoiler][/quote]

Wow that sounds amazing.

The only thing is, how does a fungus open a portal? I don’t know or want to read the lore except, I think I know that: [spoiler] The Blob has infected people, controlling and transforming everyone into zombies and stuff, I think? It also invaded the water supply or something.

Did the Blob infect a species that was highly advanced and just randomly open portals everywhere in the galaxy or something? If so, wouldn’t there be portals in the vacuum of space, draining a planet of its atmosphere? Hell, maybe even inside a black hole lol. Mainly just curious about this one thing and don’t want to spoil the rest of the lore.[/spoiler]

I don t think we should asume that the fungus openes portals.
Its much more likely that in the event of the cataclysm when portals where opened some of them where portals that lead to where fungus is.
So the portals have been opened by us and the fungus is simply using them… well thats my take on it.

[quote=“Valpo, post:69, topic:9906”]I don t think we should asume that the fungus openes portals.
Its much more likely that in the event of the cataclysm when portals where opened some of them where portals that lead to where fungus is.
So the portals have been opened by us and the fungus is simply using them… well thats my take on it.[/quote]

As I understand the lore (posted here… somewhere in the last few months), yes, WE opened the portals, we used them too much, and it led to a massive invasion event which killed a LOT of people. The initial creatures that did so much damage apparently couldn’t live long on our plane of existence, but the mess they left is why there are so many zombies (as the blob infection was already widespread, it was just waiting for people to die to take over).

Also, the official lore is that the rush-job to fix the IFF routines for the turrets and other robots was botched, making them hostile to EVERYONE, which resulted in a lot of military casualties. Nukes were used, but they didn’t close the portals, only spread them around.

Something like that. It’s seems fairly well written, on the whole.

Its stated that Triffids are capable of, with a substantial amount of energy and organization between the various Hearts in a House, generating portals to other dimensions. The Blob is more then capable of it given how through and decidedly they overwhelmed Earth with them. Being the last of the major factions in possession of a transdimensional empire, the Fungus most likely has a way of generating portals with sufficient infrastructure in place.

[quote=“deoxy, post:70, topic:9906”][quote=“Valpo, post:69, topic:9906”]I don t think we should asume that the fungus openes portals.
So the portals have been opened by us and the fungus is simply using them… well thats my take on it.[/quote]

As I understand the lore (posted here… somewhere in the last few months), yes, WE opened the portals, we used them too much, and it led to a massive invasion event which killed a LOT of people. The initial creatures that did so much damage apparently couldn’t live long on our plane of existence, but the mess they left is why there are so many zombies (as the blob infection was already widespread, it was just waiting for people to die to take over).

Also, the official lore is that the rush-job to fix the IFF routines for the turrets and other robots was botched, making them hostile to EVERYONE, which resulted in a lot of military casualties. Nukes were used, but they didn’t close the portals, only spread them around.

Something like that. It’s seems fairly well written, on the whole.[/quote][quote=“Valpo, post:69, topic:9906”]I don t think we should asume that the fungus openes portals.

Ahh, so its like that movie “The Mist”. Movie spoilers: The army were screwing around and opened a portal spreading mist and creatures until the army pushed it back (haven’t watched it in years but it was something like that).

But like I said in the spoiler on my other post; I didn’t know how the portals were opened yet I didn’t wanna read the lore, but it makes more sense now.

Hmm. I’d thought the netherworld was the faction most capable of interdimensional shenanigans. :V

They are but they would have been here before if they where capable of opening portals to this plane all along.
We are responsible.

edit:

Maybe think about it like a door locked from the other side… we just removed the lock and the door swung open.

Ah right, makes sense. owo

There is other stuff about the netherworld, most nether creatures are more like extra plainer animals then a society.

The artifacts can sometimes cause you to have netherworld attention which random nether creatures will appear around you every so often.

True, and most of them don’t really seem intelligent, and if anything they’re likely not a united group. The mi-go and shoggoths certainly aren’t, assuming they’re true to their Lovecraft references. owo

The gracken might be intelligent enough to make use of portals, but their in-game behavior implies they aren’t as outright malevolent. Though if I knew what they were referencing…

I’ve yet to see Gracken do anything.

How I stop the fungus is I load everything I want into a vehicle and I drive off. Locate where the tower is, and never go back.

Last map I had 4 towers within like 10 map tiles…

I just finally drove a really long way and then started again.

There is something such as “worth the time” and something as, screw it. Fungus is always the latter. It’s not worth your time to even bother trying, because if you miss 1 thing, it just starts over, and it moves way too fast.

Especially since you need good environmental protection gear and if you don’t have it, by the time you can get train to make it, it’s already been too long since your scrapping by to get resources.

at least the blobs can be fun by setting up a home made defense laser cannon. Put the gun on a vehicle frame with a control, storage battery, solar panel. 20 or so tiles away. If you cleaned up everything, it should keep any new spawns down on it’s own on auto fire coming from the hole it arrives from.

Sometimes the best you can manage is ceding territory to the fungus, yeah. :V

You leave… I ll be back.
With bioniks and big weapons :slight_smile: