How do I stop the fungus?

[quote=“SeigeLion, post:20, topic:9906”]I believe a moat would work.
But you know what else would work? A moat of LAVA.
Make those fuckers burn themselves on their way to you.[/quote]

Ah, but i guess the multiplying spores would still just wreck performance :confused:

I’ve seen fungal spores cross rivers, so…

Just like in Dwarf Fortress, magma is the solution.

In theory yeah they could cross the river, but because they can’t settle on water it would make it significantly difficult providing the river was wide enough, a single tile of water isn’t going to do much, if you opted to hold them off with a moat you’d need to put some serious work into it or find an island.

So the way spores infect stuff is by simply touching it? No need for a fungal bed to be present for a wall to fungify then?

Strangly enough, the spore entities are harmless. Fungaloids and fungal beds can infect you if ypu’re next them them any time they create spores, whether they do so on their own or when hit/killed.

Fungus is stupid, then :frowning:
Just like blobs and triffids. Keep spawning forever? Eff that. What were/are the devs thinking? :expressionless:
Maybe if one were to remove the spawn tiles altogether, such as with nukes or by digging?

They don’t seem to be too impressed ;(

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:26, topic:9906”]Fungus is stupid, then :frowning:
Just like blobs and triffids. Keep spawning forever? Eff that. What were/are the devs thinking? :expressionless:
Maybe if one were to remove the spawn tiles altogether, such as with nukes or by digging?[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree. If only I had more time, I’d seriously check it out whether their behaviour could be altered.

You’re gonna need more 120mm shells. :V

There are queen bees in the game now? I really need to keep up with the latest experimentals.

So after turning my shelter into rubble due to too generous usage of my flammable helpers I decided to move on.

And now I went from Fungus-country to Antropolis… 3 Anthills within 10 map tiles of each other? RNGesus surely had his fun when he created this world…

A fungal infestation of the caliber you described is basically impossible to exterminate once its development starts to snowball. As everyone has already stated before, ample environmental protection, antifungal drugs for good measure, and a flamethrower or other means of rapidly eliminating large numbers of spores and fungaloids (along with the commitment and determination to see it through once you get started) are the only means of permanently dealing with the problem.

Ants are a much easier matter to deal with however, assuming you can handle your fair share of ants in single combat. All you have to do is enter each ant hill then find and slay the ant queen residing within, the global ant population in your local area will then steadily decline until no more remain.

Yeah mid-battle I figured it’d been too long for me to have any effect on them spreading, so much for the commitment :stuck_out_tongue: wasn’t even an uphill battle, tho… more like climbing a ladder one-handed, while toxic waste is being flung at you.

That’s the much-needed mechanism for the fungals right there :wink:

It’s the same system utilized by Triffids as well, destroying the Heart renders the entire grove and its surronding population defunct in short order. The reason Fungaloids don’t wither and die is because they aren’t as intrinsically connected to the towers/flowers/beds that spawned them as Ants are to the Queen or Triffids to the Heart. Fungaloids are capable of rapidly self replicating in a relatively short amount of time, so long as they remain in the reality bubble. Outside of it in the unloaded world they’re statically held in place and thus no new ones will spawn without fungal structures.

It sucks to lose a base like that I know, especially one you built yourself by hand. But now that you know how everything works and what to do preventively, your alot better prepared to tackle this stuff in the future.

Edit: Plus, this is great role play and story building fodder. You’ve already lost everything to the Cataclysm, now the Fungus has taken all your hardfought progress away again, there won’t be a third time, not while you still draw breath.

Yeah, true. Learned that the CDDA way.

Thanks for all the responses.

So if you can’t wipe them out, you might as well grab everything you can and leave.

Do note that if you can secure your base of operations against fungal intrusion, fungi can be ignored. Unlike zombies, fungaloids and spores flat-out ignore you. And they distract hostiles quite well.

That is the closest I will EVER come to suggesting you actually tolerate the inhuman shrooms. :V

I think you can only make your base so fungus-proof, tho. In the end the endless replicating will slow down the game considerably and when the fungal bed has taken over every last halm of grass, getting your vehicle out is going to be annoying as well. Also, the lack of wildlife then might force you onto a fluid sac diet… and that can’t be too healthy either.

I’d rather just see everything burn.

I’ve found the bullwhip to be wonderfullyhelpful with killing spores.

use a regular melee weapon, walk up and kill a fungaloid, then switch to the bullwhip and hold ‘f’ until all the spores are dead… lather, rinse, repeat. Saves a lot of time and ammo.

The only time I find fungus REALLY annoying is when it rains all the bloody time, as it’s hard to get a good fire going to burn them out.

Would be nice if we can have some sort of pesticide spray against them. Like something crafted from fungicide or antifungal drugs. A spray of acid that can be very effective against fungaloids and fungal terrain.

Of course, if all else fails there’s still the option of cheating for a tankbot gun.

I agree. Maybe a weapon similar to the flamethrower that works much like the regular one, except it is loaded with the anti fungal liquid(?) and creates a 3x3 tile aoe made of anti fungal gas. The gas could then be spreading like smoke or toxic clouds and where it touches the fungus, it reverts to the original state, thereby removing fungal beds and killing other fungus creatures. It would then just dissipate.