How do I stop the fungus?

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some tips on how to deal with the Fungus.

I managed to survive 72 days in my world so far (90 days / season) and everytime I had to move was because the fungus spread right up to the doorstep. I exterminated the nearest bloom but they still keep spreading like crazy. I thought if I destroy the spire they would stop multiplying?

I spent the last 20 days building me a nice little home near the woods and sure enough right as i finish it, the fungaloids show up and I can’t figure out where they are coming from…

It’s getting really frustrating.

Find the source and burn the everloving shit out of it as early as you possibly can. It’ll take some scouting to find it though. Even then, mop-up will involve very thorough application of fire. owo

I should find that mod I made that removes fungi and blobs…

By source you mean something other than the fungal spire? Because I definitely took that sukka out.

I can’t make out the direction where they are originating from. Seems like they just popped up and started expanding in random spots, because the new spread comes from the opposite side.

Playing the latest experimental btw.

If there isn’t another source nearby, then it’s simply the remain fungal beds producing more spores, more spores producing more fungal beds AND more fungaloids, and more fungaloids producing more spores. That’s why it’s important to wipe them out early, they can grow out of control easily.

Oh c’mon… I thought they’d die off once the spire goes poof.

Guess it’s time to take to the roads once again then and find a fresh spire i can obliterate. Sigh. 20 days wasted building that shelter :"(

I officially suggest an anti-fungal weapon that effectively wipes out fungal crap…beds, fungalois, spores and what have you…

EDITHH asks: I read somewhere that they die off in winter. Is that true at least?

Conquer the land and don’t stop until you have taken all of its flammables. Then perhaps, return. >:D

The problem I think is that “kill leader, minions start despawning” likely is counter-acted by the fungal replication. Have I mentioned I hate the little bastards?

There should be a LEADER and LEADER_ALIVE flag for them, that keeps track of what spire they belong to and once they are set to false by means of flammable auxiliaries they should just die off… is that codable?

You’ve built your home in a bad neighborhood. It’s important that such spawn locations are outside the Reality Bubble when you start building your home. But I bet you could get a lot of destruction done with 20+ manhacks…

Failing that, a hazmat suit and a decent melee option. Or a flamethrower. Or a shotgun with shitloads of slugs…

Quite right. I was under the assumption that the spire was the main culprit and didn’t know that the spores come from the goddamn fungal beds.

How exactly does that work anyways?

Spores → Fungal Beds ?
Fungal Beds → Spores ?
Fungaloids → Spores ?

???

That sounds like it could be worth a try. Fortunately I just emptied a Bunker :>

Wouldn’t they simply just assimilate into a nearby Spire, thus increasing the ‘strength’ of that spire. Meaning if you were to kill a load of Spires and not kill everything around it, you’d eventually run into a Spire that had so many Fungal Kids around it that it’d be impossible to even burn it all.

If I understand the Fungus correctly, that should be how they function, sort of like a hive mind, once disconnected from a local hive node they’d simply seek out a new one to reconnect to the greater network.

Either way, spires or not you have to be thorough.

When in doubt, debug for a Tankbot Main Gun. <3

[quote=“SeigeLion, post:12, topic:9906”]Wouldn’t they simply just assimilate into a nearby Spire, thus increasing the ‘strength’ of that spire. Meaning if you were to kill a load of Spires and not kill everything around it, you’d eventually run into a Spire that had so many Fungal Kids around it that it’d be impossible to even burn it all.

If I understand the Fungus correctly, that should be how they function, sort of like a hive mind, once disconnected from a local hive node they’d simply seek out a new one to reconnect to the greater network.[/quote]

But then what’s the point of being connected to a spire when their behaviour is not affected by the connection anyways, i.e. replicating with or without it?

Thing is that I’m fairly certain that spires, giant blossoms, etc function in the same way as other “queen” enemies, so they do in theory serve as the focal point for the fungus, in gameplay terms as well as how it should work in-universe. It’s just that they can replicate even without an existing “queen” entity in the area, counteracting the normal behavior where killing the leader ensures their eventual extinction.

However, given the spire and related fungal bosses give off a ton of spores, it does mean that they spread slower without the extra production the spire puts out, but they can still grow faster than whatever effects despawn leaderless creatures (like giant ants without a queen ant, for example).

The same thing can happen with blobs. Even if you venture into a slime pit and kill the brain blob, the blobs will keep dividing anyway.

At least they’re not like bees where even if you kill the Queen and exterminate as many as you can, leaving a single one alive will cause it to become a Queen itself and create a new hive.

But bees don’t turn you into a crippled fungal victim. :V

I can’t see the replication rate slow down without the spire tbh :stuck_out_tongue: but maybe thats just my developing fungophobia talking.

Managed to craft a flamethrower and raided the local Pharmacy for antifungal drugs. Let’s see how this plays out… the armoured uber-flatbed is on standby.

btw: Would a moat stop the spores from fungifying my shelter or is that too easy to actually work? :smiley:

I believe a moat would work.
But you know what else would work? A moat of LAVA.
Make those fuckers burn themselves on their way to you.