Hand made guns not in use

When i can make a gun and an ammo, it is useless because i already found lots of guns.
Maybe someone can make game mode where most of guns are kept in safes?

I like this idea. Makes lock picking or computer hacking more relevant too. However, I don’t play ranged characters and only carry guns as a just-in-case, so I can’t comment on how this would change the pace of the game.

Home-Made guns aren’t wonder weapons straight out of Metro 2033 or Fallout in reality, they’re usually pretty much complete shit, especially when you compare them to properly manufactured weapons.

I think the problem here is that because of that, there is really no use for them. By the time you can make them, you’ve already found multiple better guns.

I’ve only ever used the homebuilt shotgun ones, and then not even for long. I agree they should be worse than pre-made guns for realism sake - but how to balance that with their availability I’m not sure.

I think the problem here is that because of that, there is really no use for them. By the time you can make them, you’ve already found multiple better guns.

I’ve only ever used the homebuilt shotgun ones, and then not even for long. I agree they should be worse than pre-made guns for realism sake - but how to balance that with their availability I’m not sure.[/quote]

I’ve used several of the zip-guns for pinch use when I’d found ammo, but not a gun. There are a /lot/ of recipes that only exist as ‘makeshift’ solutions to problems. That said, there are several super-weapon grade zip-guns at higher crafting levels to enjoy.

I don’t think “make homemade guns useful” is a valid goal, but even so putting some of the guns in safes is a reasonable thing to do.

Maybe make the spawn rate of basements absolutely littered with guns and ammo significantly lower, and add safes and locked cabinets that contain guns.

To make it seem less odd that someone would store an unloaded gun in their house, maybe add low-caliber ammo to the spawn lists in bedroom bookshelves?

Keeping your guns loaded long-term tends to damage them, the spring that pushes the round into the chamber ‘bends’ out of shape and can lead to jamming. It’s normal to leave them unloaded when you’re not using them.

People do generally keep their guns locked up in lockers and whatnot.

Maybe someone could add a “locked” gun carrying case, and if you have a key or are willing to sit there and smash it with a hammer, you can get the gun out and the case also makes however many bullets/clip it takes to fill that gun once.

[quote=“TaigaR, post:1, topic:7782”]When i can make a gun and an ammo, it is useless because i already found lots of guns.
Maybe someone can make game mode where most of guns are kept in safes?[/quote]

I think the problem here is that because of that, there is really no use for them. By the time you can make them, you’ve already found multiple better guns. I’ve only ever used the homebuilt shotgun ones, and then not even for long. I agree they should be worse than pre-made guns for realism sake - but how to balance that with their availability I’m not sure.[/quote]

+100

p.s. here in my country owning guns is beurocraticaly complicated, only smothbore hunting guns and handguns are permitted afaik, and certainly no open/armed wearing except for special cases (police etc.) zombicalypse woud be much less fun here =) for that reason my chars don’t use guns: those are much too readily available in cdda to maintain that delicious atmosphere of doom and despair =) also they are less sustainable than a bow, and a couple of molotovs as a weapon of last chance make a much better role-playing for me.

[quote=“tivasyk, post:12, topic:7782”][quote=“TaigaR, post:1, topic:7782”]When i can make a gun and an ammo, it is useless because i already found lots of guns.
Maybe someone can make game mode where most of guns are kept in safes?[/quote]

I think the problem here is that because of that, there is really no use for them. By the time you can make them, you’ve already found multiple better guns. I’ve only ever used the homebuilt shotgun ones, and then not even for long. I agree they should be worse than pre-made guns for realism sake - but how to balance that with their availability I’m not sure.[/quote]

+100

p.s. here in my country owning guns is beurocraticaly complicated, only smothbore hunting guns and handguns are permitted afaik, and certainly no open/armed wearing except for special cases (police etc.) zombicalypse woud be much less fun here =) for that reason my chars don’t use guns: those are much too readily available in cdda to maintain that delicious atmosphere of doom and despair =) also they are less sustainable than a bow, and a couple of molotovs as a weapon of last chance make a much better role-playing for me.[/quote]

CDDA doesn’t take place in some other country, it takes place in the New England region of the United States, a dark future style of the US with much more laxed gun control laws. Zip-Guns aren’t good for a reason, you’re not using a machined gun, you’re using a makeshift gun you patched together from scrap in a pinch. They’re not meant to be uber-weapons. You don’t remove all the Halagen bars and crowbars because no one is using the pipe bashed into the shape of a crowbar.

That’s a poor example, I can craft a makeshift crowbar on day one with zero skills. The point TaigaR is making is, by the time you have the skills to craft a makeshift gun, you’ve already likely found a gun.

That’s a poor example, I can craft a makeshift crowbar on day one with zero skills. The point TaigaR is making is, by the time you have the skills to craft a makeshift gun, you’ve already likely found a gun.[/quote]
I suppose that a pipe rifle should have a lower difficulty rating, it’s not exactly rocket science. Then again Mechanics 3 and Firearms 1 isn’t that high end, it may be worth lowering the mechanics requirement for the assorted ‘pipe plus two by four equals gun’ crafting recipes to two, maybe even one. They’re not rifled or anything. But I don’t think that buffing the ability of the makeshift guns or increasing the rarity of guns to “Welcome to Canada” levels is a valid solution.

How about adding ammo vending machines? Gun laws are relaxed enough.

We have those.

I don’t rarity is what we want, just more hurdles. In pre-apocalypse life, guns were stored in safes and whatnot. Post-apocalypse, I doubt anyone unlocked a safe and left the gun there. Either they were used (found on corpses, on zombies, etc) or were left locked behind the security device.

I am picturing most “hurdles” to simply require that you lock pick a safe, and make a failure will result in alarm, maybe it wouldn’t. The stores would certainly have alarms though, maybe even locked behind a computer like bionics (but with much less security).

Lowering the difficulty to make makeshift guns (and perhaps lower still their quality) could be an option along side this one.

I generally play with drop rates greatly reduced, so I tend to rely on makeshift weapons more.

I think one of the issues is that there’s a huge gap between low-skill and high-skill craftable weapons. Even then, bows just seem to overshadow them anyway.

Just off the top of my head here, what would be good for a mid tier zip gun? I was thinking a sort of blunderbuss or heavier rifle that has slow loading, but packs a wallop. I see there’s also a pipe smg in the item browser, but it looks like there’s no recipe, though they sit at mechanics 5. An upgrade to the pipe rifles into a semi auto carbine with a clip could work. Maybe a version of the shotgun revolver made from the pipe shotgun with worse stats?

I don’t know too much about actual firearms, so I’m just going off of in game examples, so someone more knowledgeable can let me know how feasible these are, and I’ll work on coding them up.

I do think gun safes are a good idea. Right now, it’s pretty much “find a gun store/survivalist house, have a smorgasbord of guns” with individual firearms being rare enough it’s better to just seek those out. If pre-Cata New England is supposed to be a bit more paranoid/prepared, I’d expect a lot more houses to have gun safes. To balance it out, they should be tough to smash with a good chance to damage or destroy the contents, and somewhat tough to pick. I think stethoscope cracking would be going too far, not to mention that’s currently infallible. For more balance, I’d say have them pickable, but have a chance to jam the lock on a critical failure. From there, I’m not sure what you’d do. Just smash it I guess?