Hand made guns not in use

Any kind of high-speed automatic fire action is pretty much right out, the tolerances required for that kind of thing are way too much for a survivor with random scavenged tools. That’s why the pipe SMG got removed as a craftable item.

However, we do have a hand-cranked auto-shotgun (multibarrel) you can make, a large-bore gatling should also be possible, and I agree a blunderbuss should be possible (I thought that was already in to be honest). There’s already a pipe grenade launcher, though crafting the ammo is right out (look up the composition of grenade ammo some time, it’s nuts).

A hand-crafted mortar is easily possible, it doesn’t require nearly the engineering effort of a shoulder-fired grenade launcher, but we don’t have support for ballistic trajectories in the game yet.

I could also see attaching a gatling type gun to an engine and running that at moderate fire rate (we’re talking a few hundred RPM, not 1,000+ like you get with modern miniguns)

Just to make this an omnibus post, I’m behind locking up most guns in typical houses in safes or vaults of some kind.

I was thinking about gun stores, every gun store I’ve ever been in had the guns in display cases, so I can’t justify locking them up, but then I remembered, every gun store I’ve ever been in had HEAVY DUTY BARS on all the doors and windows. So yea, let’s make that a thing. Probably have two variants, a locked up gunstore with good stock, and a looted gunstore that’s been busted into, and has slim pickings.

While I will hate you for this (I NEED MY EARLY GAME NUGGET), it’s also a fairly reasonable concept. Possibly give looted stores a chance to spawn copbots that have attempted to lock down the scene of the crime?

There’s a pipe shotgun already, I’m curious why you can’t convert it with the revolver recipe though. How different are pipe shotguns from single-shot shotguns functionally?

I’VE BEEN WONDERING SINCE FOREVER

I’m going to have to argue that it not beyond our random tools.
Theres have been loads of homemade automatic guns made without proper tools or materials.

Here’s a link to a site on homemade guns from around the world with a category on submachine guns. homemadeguns

I’m sure that some one will be inspire to add a new weapon to CDDA.

Theres have been loads of homemade automatic guns made without proper tools or materials.

Here’s a link to a site on homemade guns from around the world with a category on submachine guns. homemadeguns

I’m sure that some one will be inspire to add a new weapon to CDDA.[/quote]

Purty. Now, what tools were used to make them, what’s the reliability, and so on?

Looking at the stats for the pipe shotgun vs the single barrel and the recipe for the revolver shotgun, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say it could be made with the pipe shotgun. The stats differ somewhat, but since you’re reworking the gun anyway, meh. I’ll whip up a pull request when I get home if there’s no objections.

There mostly made from steel pipes, sheet metal, screws and duct tape with hand tools, hacksaws, and screwdrivers that kind of thing.

If the barrel pipe is strong then there reliability safe to use, as there unrifled and just open bolt firring blow back weapons there not all that accurate.

String freeze for the stable, so you’re not getting merged until after that lands.

What about more pneumatic guns? Say, a self contained scrap/pebble shooting gun that uses those oxygen tanks as propellant (I’m not exactly sure what’s the pressure on those things or how much air is in them, so there’s a bit of a stretching of the imagination here). You build the chassis, then a second recipe lets you choose what ammo/air tank to use. As it’s self-contained, it doesn’t need reloading (Which is a big downside on bows for low-str high-int characters) and holds a decent amount of ammunition (75-150?). Once you’ve run out, disassemble it to get the empty air tank and the chassis back. The air tank you can probably refill with a pump of some sort, but it’s nowhere near as good as one you find already full. Say you probably would be able to make these at skill level 3-4; considering you’re making CBMs at around skill level 6-7 I’d say it’s fair.

A mid level recipe can use those small engines to launch various projectiles. On the simple side, make a crossbow and attach an electric motor to load the thing for you (which doesn’t depend on strength). On the more complicated end, make a device that launches handmade serrated discs.

Though what I’d really like to see are more weapon mods.

[quote=“Blaze, post:30, topic:7782”]What about more pneumatic guns? Say, a self contained scrap/pebble shooting gun that uses those oxygen tanks as propellant (I’m not exactly sure what’s the pressure on those things or how much air is in them, so there’s a bit of a stretching of the imagination here). You build the chassis, then a second recipe lets you choose what ammo/air tank to use. As it’s self-contained, it doesn’t need reloading (Which is a big downside on bows for low-str high-int characters) and holds a decent amount of ammunition (75-150?). Once you’ve run out, disassemble it to get the empty air tank and the chassis back. The air tank you can probably refill with a pump of some sort, but it’s nowhere near as good as one you find already full. Say you probably would be able to make these at skill level 3-4; considering you’re making CBMs at around skill level 6-7 I’d say it’s fair.

A mid level recipe can use those small engines to launch various projectiles. On the simple side, make a crossbow and attach an electric motor to load the thing for you (which doesn’t depend on strength). On the more complicated end, make a device that launches handmade serrated discs.

Though what I’d really like to see are more weapon mods.[/quote]

Bionics can be moved up.

Oxy tanks are fairly high-pressure but I’ve not looked for specific numbers. Hand-refilling is unlikely to achieve anything near what the compressors can, but I imagine one could craft a compressor or find one in hospitals easily enough.

Theres have been loads of homemade automatic guns made without proper tools or materials.[/quote]
Please consider the difference between “someone, somewhere was able to do it” and “this is a reasonable thing to do”.

The SMGs on that site do not look like they’re cobbled together with hand tools. Someone had a fully-outfitted metalworking shop. There’s also 0 information there on whether the receivers and barrels are made locally or imported.
A large number of “homemade weapons” are actually built around existing receivers.

Well I’m sure this has been suggested before, but let me go ahead and say it:

1. Make working guns significantly rarer.
  2. Make said guns stronger (And maybe buff zombies a bit to compensate; killing hulks with .22 ammo is pretty silly.)
  3. Make most of the guns that spawn be “Ruined” variants, these are spawned in various states of damage and can be disassembled with the correct tools (gunsmith/firearm repair kit)
  4. Since ruined guns are damaged, they only give up a portion of their working parts (Chance increases with skill and decreases with item damage).
  5. Make said ruined guns immune to repair (An ugly hack would be changing their material to superalloy or something). So you can’t repair them to get all the parts.
  6. With the right skills, tools, items, and a bit of elbow grease, you can put together a gun that works. It kicks like a mule on steroids, handles like a garbage truck, and looks like something an Ork from WH40K would use, but it works.
  7. Extra gun parts can then be refined into gun mods. These tend to be very specific mods, not the “one-size-fits-all” ones we currently have.

So there’s plenty of space for makeshift weapons, working guns are the godsend they should be, and it lets us all satisfy the urge to make crazy killing machines.

One major problem with that, there’s absolutely no even semi-reasonable explanation for why most guns are wrecked just a few days after the shit hit the fan. What you’re describing works perfectly for Fallout or Metro, but not at all for DDA.

Hmm, this nerf guns to the ground thing is quite unsettling. If you do, please, don’t go overboard in one go, just because the angry mob asks for it.

This is the plan: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=8239.msg188909#msg188909
Nothing said since has changed my mind.

Guns you find out in the field have likely been dropped rather forcefully. Guns are fragile. Drop a shotgun on its (wooden) stock and it will likely break/crack.
Or they’re just dirty and prone to malfunctions… unless you happen to pick up an AK.

According to the timeline:

1. Creatures from portals appearing (presumably we used guns to fight them).
  2. Nuclear strikes.
  3. Portals interacting with nukes, causing them to spew all sorts of corrosive, toxic, high-temperature, substances into the surrounding areas.
  4. Mass migration towards the west. (And presumably, mass looting.)
  5. Acid rain.
  6. Wacky Survivor Adventures.
  7. Evacuation and subsequent annihilation of military forces. (And their guns)
  8. More nukes.

I think it’s fair to say that guns within easy reach would have been taken or damaged. So your best bet to find one would be a sealed or heavily defended area. Such as heavily-barricaded store or military bunker.

So we can build a bionic implant with a screw driver and some scrap but not a crude machine gun?
I’m not saying that we should make it easy, have the recipe only come at high skill or from a rare book.

Another handmade weapon we could add is some kind of improvised hand grenade luncher, something like this Syrian design its basicly just a large shotgun with a blank round being used as the propellant.

CO2 pellet guns are a thing…