Gun names

I personally liked it better in parenthesis after the item name. Also, does it currently show compatible ammo types when examining the weapon?

I do as well, feels cleaner that way. I’m also all for adding MORE types of weapons in than taking them out :smiley:

On a sort-of related note, will we get to see a larger variety of shotguns …?

I do as well, feels cleaner that way. I’m also all for adding MORE types of weapons in than taking them out :smiley:

On a sort-of related note, will we get to see a larger variety of shotguns …?[/quote]

I would imagine once we have a proper naming system (the P or S or AR in front of a gun) we could get away with adding more firearms all together.

Right now most of the argument surrounds “I have no idea what XX gun is or what it’s supposed to do”. If there’s a proper naming convention like the one proposed I don’t see a problem with adding more flavor weapons as they’re all properly marked pistol, rifle etc etc.

Someone mentioned a highlight of what ammo/weapons you can use with the weapons/ammo you already got. I’m pretty sure that is already implemented. At least the steel bolts and crossbows were ‘green’ in the list when I disarmed the crossbow traps and got to loot the stuff (though, got shot in the leg twice, but that’s worth 40! steel bolts + a lot of string).

Couldn’t the simplest solution just be to change the inventory sorting?

Instead of “Firearms”, have categories that are the based on the skill used? Like “Rifles”, “Handguns”, etc:

PISTOLS M1911 USP .45 USP 9mm

RIFLES
SKS
AK-47
M4 Carbine

Appending the name of the Skill used on every separate Firearm inventory line seems like a waste of space when you can just put them into separate groups to begin with.

I would find it very disappointing if the gun names were removed. A toggleable option seems nice but also a bit cumbersome and I’m not sure it’s possible to use it effectively.

For example, if I used it, I’d have to constantly check and compare the stats of every “.45 semi-automatic handgun” I came across. If I have a USP, I don’t need to check the stats of the second USP I find. I know it’s the same from the name. If you don’t know the stats of the M1911 by comparison, you already have to check it. So I’m really not sure why anyone would ever toggle it on. It only make you check more stats, never less.

Right now most of the argument surrounds "I have no idea what XX gun is or what it's supposed to do". If there's a proper naming convention like the one proposed I don't see a problem with adding more flavor weapons as they're all properly marked pistol, rifle etc etc.

That may be a valid point of confusion, but shortening the name doesn’t help. You still have to look at the stats to solve your problem (“I don’t know what this gun is”) and you’d still have to do that anyway.

Frankly people just need to learn. I had no idea what a Vector TDI was the first time I found it. Now I know “It’s the .45 submachine gun with no recoil.” If I somehow forgot, I’d have to look at the gun again anyway. It’s not exactly complicated. There are descriptions, too. Maybe those could be shored up?

Related solution: it seems like there are just way too many small-caliber rifles to begin with, which probably causes a lot of the difficulty in learning. Do we really need a Marlin 39A, a Ruger 10/22, AND a craftable .22 pipe rifle on top of it? And don’t get me started on the .223 caliber rifles - there’s like half a dozen of them with barely distinguishable stats.

Just to clarify something, regardless of what some might have asked for, we are not removing gun names, even as an option. What I’m taking a look at is adding an option to suppliment the gun name with a tag indicating what kind of gun it is.

Re: spelled out label indicating the gun type. The problem with this approach is that there is already a danger of overrunning the line in the inventory display, spelling out (shotgun) or (rifle) pushes many names over the edge, and causes them to be truncated.

The Marlin you can load one shot at a time. Ruger loads the whole magazine at once. Pipe rifle’s for the survivalist.
Variety!

Same goes for everything else. On the other hand, guns in real life can be hardly distinguishable at times.