Gun names

Yea it’s a reasonable request, I’ll see how hard it is to add gun type tags to the various displays. Also, yes, please spoiler NSFW images. Abuse of this will get you banned.

Wait, what exactly are you looking for? You already get handgun/rifle/smg/shotgun in the description, what else do you want?

Could it also say NSFW with it?
When I see spoilers I expect a huge post or a picture someone doesn’t want to spam with.
Not blowjobs

Oh NOW I get it!

SUFFIX!

LMAO X_DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD oh wow FAIL HURRRRRR DURRRRRRR

I mean “Glock 19 (pistol)” “Saiga whatever (shotgun)” “uzi (submachinegun)” “SKS (assault rifle)”

My apologies.

Prototype:

I’ll see about making it be “handgun”, “shotgun”, etc instead of the skill names.

[size=14pt]God fucking damnit! I was goatsed! Anti-Troll force shield offline![/size]

To get back on subject, when someone says ‘Smith & Wesson 619’ and ‘Mossberg 500’ I know precisely what they’re talking about and a picture of the gun and what type of ammo it uses is already in my mind, but for ones I’m less familiar with (I didn’t know what a browning BLR was until playing this) I instead get a block of static and a bunch of question marks like trying to copy and paste text from another language when you don’t have the right font installed. So, I get the feeling of not knowing what the hell is going on alongside the feeling of knowing exactly what something is and having a fully formed mental picture in my mind.

Still, I think turning the guns into ‘12 gauge pump action shotgun (good)’ would be bad even as an option. Some weapons are better for one purpose or another. For example the Mossberg 500 has low recoil with larger magazine, and the otherwise comparable Remington 870 does a lot more damage. How do you quantify which one is ‘better’ when they’re each good in a different situation?

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:24, topic:793”]Prototype:
[image snipped]
I’ll see about making it be “handgun”, “shotgun”, etc instead of the skill names.[/quote]
Hey, skill names is already pretty awesome!

Well then you can imagine what “all being static” is like.

Still, I think turning the guns into '12 gauge pump action shotgun (good)' would be bad even as an option. Some weapons are better for one purpose or another. For example the Mossberg 500 has low recoil with larger magazine, and the otherwise comparable Remington 870 does a lot more damage. How do you quantify which one is 'better' when they're each good in a different situation?

Yeah that kind of name is cumbersome too, and you have a good point about the “different situations” thing

[quote=“Psiweapon, post:23, topic:793”]Oh NOW I get it!

SUFFIX!

I mean “Glock 19 (pistol)” “Saiga whatever (shotgun)” “uzi (submachinegun)” “SKS (assault rifle)”

My apologies.[/quote]

SKS
Assault Rifle

I do not think so, my friend

[quote=“Misha, post:28, topic:793”][quote=“Psiweapon, post:23, topic:793”]Oh NOW I get it!

SUFFIX!

My apologies.[/quote]

SKS
Assault Rifle

I do not think so, my friend[/quote]

D’uh!!

Proof in favor of this proposal!

The Soviets would have taken over the world if the SKS was an assault rifle.

It must be awful to have the complete lack of a mental image for ANY firearm in this game, please lets do something about this.

My underinformed impression from Battlefield:Vietnam is that the SKS is comparable to the Garand: a good semi-auto battle rifle with decent mag size…but lacking burst/full-auto, so not a true AR.

My character stockpiles SKS ammo though…or at least he would if he could tell the difference. The 7.62x??? does tend to become static without looking at the long description every time,especially since I think there’s 7.62 that doesn’t work with the SKS/AK rifles. Something like 7.62 Russian?

[quote=“sodapop, post:30, topic:793”]The Soviets would have taken over the world if the SKS was an assault rifle.

It must be awful to have the complete lack of a mental image for ANY firearm in this game, please lets do something about this.[/quote]

Quite a bit!

I googled the SKS… No, that doesn’t ring “assault rifle” even in my mind. It’s a wooden rifle, or a plain rifle, or… just a rifle.

The SKS is simply a semi-auto rifle with the AK round, and a pretty goofy stripper clip. Does come with something of an integrated bayonet though!
Linkypoo. Guy’s got a ton of neat gun videos. Do a search and he’ll probably have what you’re looking for.

Regarding weapon designations, you could do it like this.

• P. Glock 19
  • SMG. UMP45
  • GL. Milkor MGL
  • R. SKS
  • AR. AK-47

[quote=“Slax, post:33, topic:793”]Regarding weapon designations, you could do it like this.

• P. Glock 19
  • SMG. UMP45
  • GL. Milkor MGL
  • R. SKS
  • AR. AK-47[/quote]

This, so much this. I would personally prefer to keep the guns and all the variations of them because more options = more fun for me. A small prefix like [P]istols, [R]ifles, [A]ssault-[R]ifles makes the most sense for those of us that want to keep the names and those who would like a quick visual aid.

Ammo types are already highlighted for you so ditching (seemingly) duplicate guns would only save you at most 30 seconds of comparing.

Go play some dumb arcade game then.

If you don’t have something constructive, don’t post on peoples’ suggestions.

[quote=“Slax, post:33, topic:793”]The SKS is simply a semi-auto rifle with the AK round, and a pretty goofy stripper clip. Does come with something of an integrated bayonet though!
Linkypoo. Guy’s got a ton of neat gun videos. Do a search and he’ll probably have what you’re looking for.

Regarding weapon designations, you could do it like this.

• P. Glock 19
  • SMG. UMP45
  • GL. Milkor MGL
  • R. SKS
  • AR. AK-47[/quote]

I really like this idea, actually. It’s probably the most elegant solution we’ve seen so far.

I’d much prefer that the game adds these prefixes automatically rather than we change the actual item names. (Can’t be that much of a hassle, right?) That way it can be used as an optional thing in case someone doesn’t like it.

Ain’t this forum chock full of trolls, huh?

Yea, I’ve coded this up, but got stalled because the options menu is overflowing. This will exceedingly easily be in by next release. As I mentioned before, I had it appending the skill names, but I agree having it prepend an initial for it is nicer, so I’ll switch it over to that.