Generic Guns mod usage poll

I tried it when I got a new experimental, but I didn’t like it. It should be limited to generic ammunition instead of guns + ammo.

Could you expand the poll by asking if the respondents if they would use it in an altered form?

I wish there was a “Generic” mod for all Items.

The ultra generic mod:

you pick up “melee weapon”
you fire “gun”
you throw “explosive”

All the skills in the game:
combat
not-combat
(max level is 1)

1 book that trains all skills, referred to as “book”

1 type of car, called “car”

all controls are in the form of yes-no questions.

2 Likes

You may be joking, but there were actual suggestions to add car models.
Basically tiny variants differing only in name and some incredibly minor details, like door placement or wheel size.

If car models were a thing, a “generic cars” mod would be a great idea.

You may be joking, but there were actual suggestions to add car models.
Basically tiny variants differing only in name and some incredibly minor details, like door placement or wheel size.

If car models were a thing, a “generic cars” mod would be a great idea.[/quote]

Actually, I’d love to have many models of car… but there would not NEED to be a “generic cars mod”, because you can already make a zillion kinds of “car” and all of their parts already work together just fine.

Could’ve used an option “Never tried it, never appealed to me.” Could it be made less painful to maintain?

To me “Generic Guns” should mean like 1 handpicked handgun, 1 rifle, 1 assault rifle, 1 shotgun, 1 SMG etc., totaling up to 10 handpicked guns or so, meaning maybe it doesn’t have to be that painful to maintain. Maybe it could be rebranded to “Less Gun Variety” or “Choice Guns” or similar.

But I digress.

[quote=“pisskop, post:17, topic:12046”]im okay not seeing

“makeshift glaive with a swarthy blade”
“makeshift glaive with too much duct tape”
"++makeshift glaive++"[/quote]
On the contrary, i would like this feature. Not as a different crafting recipes, but rather as unexpected results, possibly modified by skills. Suppose, your bashing is higher than cutting, then you have a chance to craft the ‘heavy glaive’. Nothing too extreme, to avoid “well gg i wasted 8 hours crafting the wrong type”. Like, ‘heavy’ suffix on glaive increasing bashing by 3, weight by 100 and reducing cutting by -1. ‘too much duct tape’ takes 1.5 amount of duct tape to craft but the weapon is a bit studier. Stuff like that. It will make smithing more interesting and weapons more personalized.

Why we don’t add 50 more different flavors of soups? Get a new recipe book titled " The Soup Nazi" so we do also add 50 more hits in the crafting menu.

The game is bloated, a lot of recipes are superfluous.

Oh, I don’t disagree with you on the recipe bloat thing, my point was that, because of the way the vehicle system works, there can already easily be a practically infinite number of different vehicles and it wouldn’t bloat your recipe log in ANY way, or even really matter all that much, other than atmosphere.

The ultra generic mod:

you pick up “melee weapon”
you fire “gun”
you throw “explosive”

All the skills in the game:
combat
not-combat
(max level is 1)

1 book that trains all skills, referred to as “book”

1 type of car, called “car”

all controls are in the form of yes-no questions.[/quote]
You jest, but I would totally play that.

I love this mod, and I would be very sad to see it gone.

I’m not a real-life gun nut. I want to know what kind of gun I’m looking at when I see the name. Seeing a bunch of brand names and random numbers does not help me, not in the least. I have to look at the guns’ stats in order to figure out what I want to use. There are lots of essentially identical ones, and I’m sick of having to sort them.

With specific gun names, we end up with dozens and dozens of different gun types with little or no increase in actual variety. With generic guns, it’s much easier to see at a glance what you’ve got. It takes out useless complexity that adds only tedium, not challenge.

[quote=“callista, post:32, topic:12046”]I love this mod, and I would be very sad to see it gone.

I’m not a real-life gun nut. I want to know what kind of gun I’m looking at when I see the name. Seeing a bunch of brand names and random numbers does not help me, not in the least. I have to look at the guns’ stats in order to figure out what I want to use. There are lots of essentially identical ones, and I’m sick of having to sort them.

With specific gun names, we end up with dozens and dozens of different gun types with little or no increase in actual variety. With generic guns, it’s much easier to see at a glance what you’ve got. It takes out useless complexity that adds only tedium, not challenge.[/quote]

I’m not a gun nut either, and I completely agree with you on not really having a clue and having to check stats… but I still like it the way it is for the simple reason that it’s a good reflection of the way the world is.

Sure, it’s good to try to collect the “good” weapons, but the one(s) you have ammo for is what you actually use. In practice, that means one of a few things that are actually common (I usually end up carrying a Glock 19, for instance, simply for the common ammo and magazines), and those “awesome” guns are just funny-shaped clubs when the ammo runs out (or you can’t find a magazine - it’s about the right rareness now, but it still happens).

Realism is all well and good, but let’s remember that more realism is only good as long as it equals more fun. If it just adds tedium, there’s not much point. Opinions differ, but I think that’s enough to keep that mod up to date.

Choosing between different weapons is not fun? Perhaps you like glock more that beretta, but you have only one spare mag for glock and two beretta mags, both extended and regular, this forces an interesting choice, what do you like more: your glock or an option for two extra reloads with different ammo subtypes? Shotguns are very unique to me too. Double-barreled hunting shotgun with a burst option. 2 ammo capacity difference between remington and mossberg is a big deal. That shotgun with separate barrels where you can load buckshot to shoot manhacks and avoid wasting regular ammo. SMGs are unique by volume. TEC-9 has bad stats, but it can fit into a pistol holster, unlike MP-5. Same with MAC-10 and UMP45. Assault rifles for .223 cartridge are perhaps the least unique, they even share the same magasine, but whatever, other gun types are worth avoiding generalisation.

I even forgot to mention adapting your weapon choices for your build. A weaker character may want a gun with lower recoil, a clumsy one - with more accuracy, a skilled one who gets crits and headshots on every hit may disregard the other stats and choose one with a longer barrel just to squeeze more damage from crits.

[quote=“BorkBorkGoesTheCode, post:21, topic:12046”]I tried it when I got a new experimental, but I didn’t like it. It should be limited to generic ammunition instead of guns + ammo.

Could you expand the poll by asking if the respondents if they would use it in an altered form?[/quote]

Only if you’re volunteering to maintain it. The question is whether there is enough support for the mod to keep maintaining it, it’s currently looking like the answer is no. The poll is moot if someone wants to step up and maintain it themselves.

Is generic guns defunct? I generated a world and it seems like guns that require a magazine don’t seem to work.

If it’s known to be defunct & not really workable it seems like it either shouldn’t be distributed with the game or marked obsolete/defunct.

1 Like

I think your issue must have occurred because the nested containers update as for one version of it, it even broke batteries until a fix came so generic guns probably won’t work after nested unless generic gets updated

Generic guns is a mod we are working to maintain and keep up to date. If you find any issues with it, please report them.

1 Like

My two cents. I use this mod, just because the amount of ammo types otherwise confuses me. I would be just fine with all the different guns, if there was a way to get more generic ammo