Generic Guns mod usage poll

Mugling (the dev who wrote most of the recent gun-related code) wants to get rid of Generic Guns mod, as it requires extra maintenance due to it overriding a lot of hardcoded guns and having quite a bit of new guns.
Generic Guns doesn’t have an active dev responsible for it, meaning that adding new features which affect the mod requires the dev who is adding the feature to test and possibly fix the mod.

Additionally, the lack of bug reports when the mod breaks suggests it isn’t very popular.

Related issue:

Generic guns is not a bad idea, but it feels to me i’m unnecessarily dumbing down/streamlining my game and losing out on content.
I guess others thing along similar lines as i see a 100% consensus…

yeah , it just makes you miss out on so much content , myself i have like +4 gun mods installed so i will probably never touch that mod
plus , there is a feel of satisfaction when you come home and find that shelf full of custom modded guns each with a special name instead of just , say , rifle or pistol

I’m fine with generic guns, but I can’t remember if I ever tried them. Changing their names to [Class] [ammo] would be very functional for me, and sounds like it’d be a lot easier than something which explicitly removed or modified existing guns.

Explicitly, if the variety still existed (like how there’s at least three or four common shotguns) I’d be fine. I can’t even recognize the names anyway, so I look at which has the best attribute I think is best, and dump the others.

I don’t know if the existing generic-ization replaces or alters any guns or their spawning behavior, but that would not be something I’d expect nor desire it to do.

Nope. Even though I am almost constantly bitching (to myself while wandering around no man’s land) about finding compatible weapons, ammo, and magazines, I like there being options… Mostly because I like squinting at the stats of two weapons which are mostly the same and determining which one I like more then dumping the other and its magazines on the floor somewhere.

Looking at the generic gun mods, I see that items are created and blacklisted rather than modified. Is there a means to modify existing items with mods without wholesale replacement? I’m reminded of Red Alert 2 modding, where if all a rules file had was something like “[SOLDIER] health=200” then the only thing that happened was the existing SOLDIER unit would have it’s health changed, but every other attribute stays the same.

I distinctly recall thinking to myself “Who the hell would go out of their way to give guns LESS personality?”

The current poll results seem to bear out my viewpoint.

To be honest our current guns are usually very bland and differ little. Generic guns are ironically much more distinct in a way that Shotgun With Name #12432 simply can’t be.
For example, Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and L12 Defender all have stats so similar that just calling them all “pump action shotgun” wouldn’t make them any less distinct and any more bland.

Generic Guns was an answer to all those “9mm pistol but with 5 dispersion less”, “small pistol with stats nearly identical to 9mm ones but incompatible ammo”, “different ammo type that only forces you to move gunmods between your guns” etc.

Having few distinct types with name describing their function is so much more elegant and well designed than what we have in the base game.

The problem is that as a complete replacement of all the gun set in the game it requires a lot of maintenance that it isn’t getting.

1 Like

To be honest our current guns are usually very bland and differ little. Generic guns are ironically much more distinct in a way that Shotgun With Name #12432 simply can’t be.
For example, Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and L12 Defender all have stats so similar that just calling them all “pump action shotgun” wouldn’t make them any less distinct and any more bland.

Generic Guns was an answer to all those “9mm pistol but with 5 dispersion less”, “small pistol with stats nearly identical to 9mm ones but incompatible ammo”, “different ammo type that only forces you to move gunmods between your guns” etc.

Having few distinct types with name describing their function is so much more elegant and well designed than what we have in the base game.

The problem is that as a complete replacement of all the gun set in the game it requires a lot of maintenance that it isn’t getting.[/quote]

I’d argue that a lot of their appeal comes from their cultural associations. For example, the Steyr Aug has somewhat underwhelming stats in cataclysm (a full five points of damage less than the AR-15, for some reason, despite using the same ammo), but I like using it primarily because it’s what my country’s military uses. If it was just “bullpup .223 assault rifle” it wouldn’t be the same. Similarly, the Franchi SPAS-12 the Terminator uses would just become “pump action shotgun”, Dirty Harry’s S&W 629 would just be “.44 Revolver” etc.

Even if the game itself doesn’t give them a lot of personality, the names allow them to benefit from the personality given elsewhere.

That’s my view on the matter anyway.

I voted “I’d like to, but it is broken too often to be playable” Not that it broke on me , I stop using it after I read there where problems if you used in combination with some other mods I like to use.

1 Like

to be honest guns are a last resort/tactical choice for me. I try to carry 3, guns on me at all times, and I end up using my melee choices instead for 90% of my combat.

Id still not touch gunmod though. I like how ammo needs a barrel capable of shooting it. magizines are where Id gripe. The frequency of less common gunmags makes my using those guns instead of the m1 pistol or glock 22 pretty real.

I usually have 3 or 4 glock 22 mags, a few m1.45 mags, and maybe,maybe 1 usp.45 mag. guess which guns Im not using

I’m a gun guy IRL (‘Merica!) so I recognize pretty much all the different guns, though to be honest Artyoms’ gun emporium has led to a few interesting google searches.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say what is pretty much already on most people’s minds. Cataclysm’s gun variety contributes quite heavily to it’s charm. I still quite fondly remember all of the survivors I had where their main weapon was the Remington 700, which was chosen because it’s the rifle I used to shoot my first deer in real life. This same charm wouldn’t exist if it was simply listed as: “Hunting Rifle”. Generifying the guns would also get rid of the Mosin Nagant(Renaming it to “Hunting Rifle”), which if I’m not mistaken, there is a cult on this forum that actively worships it.

I do however feel like the melee weapons in this game need more variety rather than just stuff like, “Scimitar, Katana, Arming Sword, Combat Knife”. There should be as much melee weapon variety as there is gun variety. I should be able to walk into a pawn shop and pick up a Ka-bar, a Fairbairne Sykes, or some other sword by any modern swordsmiths.

In some circumstances, yes, but I’d say only when they’re fairly recognizable and distinctive. In principle, any melee weapons that have existed prior to the american civil war are fundamentally similar in design, differing only in manufacture. Calling a bowie knife a bowie knife is fine by me, but specifying the exact manufacturer of a katana serves no useful purpose IMO.

In some circumstances, yes, but I’d say only when they’re fairly recognizable and distinctive. In principle, any melee weapons that have existed prior to the american civil war are fundamentally similar in design, differing only in manufacture. Calling a bowie knife a bowie knife is fine by me, but specifying the exact manufacturer of a katana serves no useful purpose IMO.[/quote]

Yes, this is probably true, and I do agree with you to an extent. I would however like to see the Ka-bar and Fairbairne Sykes put into the game, seeing as how they’re both very unique knives in the same vein as the Bowie Knife.

there are COUNTLESS variants on melee weapons though. Most of them from medieval times sure, most modern day weapons are the same as they were back then, granted. In this though? Yeah not much to do there unless there start being weapon specific mods (like the flaming swords, akin dead island style)

melee weapons have a lot of flavor.

go on and name each type of glaive used in combat in the old world. you cant because every singke permutation is its own weapons and often they werent even distinguished by their own crafters.

im okay not seeing

“makeshift glaive with a swarthy blade”
“makeshift glaive with too much duct tape”
"++makeshift glaive++"

I have no use for this mod.

I actually use this mod quite often, it makes searching for the right ammo a whole lot easier.

None of the above?

I’ve used it a couple times and could live without it.

On one hand I think the wide variety of guns is kind of excessive given the general level of abstraction in the game, but on the other hand it gives flavor and an illusion of choice. (and muddies up loot so it’s usually more of a pain to find ammo for your favorite or current weapon)