Figured out what use the whispering tube does!

I found one in the sewers. I then drank it and it decayed me. So I put it away for a while until I noticed it was back to 1 charge so I 'a’pplied it and selected the spot next to me and acid covered a 3x3 area and dissinegrated my combat boots and socks. So I figured out that you can aim this acid splash I only tried like 6 tiles away and it creats it temporarly 3x3. And it replenishes its charge on the next turn it takes about 4 turns for the acid on the ground to dissipate. So its not as bad as I first thought. Dunno if anyone else has found this thing yet?
*on further test it does have a draw back it paraylises me for a few turns and then tells me I feel my body decaying, but I don’t see any extra pain or stat loses. Any ideas what its doing to me?

Artifacts are random, the chances of someone else finding one exactly the same and thus knowing exactly what it does is low, you’ll have to figure it out yourself.

Oh, didn’t know they were random thought they were from a predetermined list. Interesting.

Artifacts can have many effects (many of them passive) and many recharge triggers.

Not sure if wiki is up to date on them.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:8225”]Artifacts can have many effects (many of them passive) and many recharge triggers.

Not sure if wiki is up to date on them.[/quote]

Pretty much is, because there haven’t been many changes to 'em since Whales.

That feeling of decay is the artifact replenishing itself upon your precious bodily fluids.

By which I mean it does some damage to all body parts

Wait…artifacts are given a random effect? so there not taken from a pre determined script… :open_mouth: if not this is amazeing CDDA just keeps on giving.

Would some one give me a short list of some other artifacts they have found and there effects :slight_smile:

Thanks

I had a carved crystal when activated would create a whirling vortex that threw creatures that stepped on it. It also summoned shadow men and thus could only be used during the day. Made dealing with large groups a lot easier. Just stand in the middle of a large croup of vortexes and kill the ones that make through them.

Awesome I might go artifact hunting.

How do we find them or are there location random to?.

What would be cool is a tool like in stalker that alerts when your close to one :slight_smile:

[quote=“stk2008, post:9, topic:8225”]Awesome I might go artifact hunting.

How do we find them or are there location random to?.

What would be cool is a tool like in stalker that alerts when your close to one :)[/quote]

Artifacts are generally random, although I hear that certain areas have a way to acquire more of them, especially wieldable/wearable items. Don’t expect them to be given up without a fight however.

AFAIK there are no detectors. If you see a random pile of rocks (larger than 3x3 with a gateway to another dimension in the middle) there just might be an artifact for the taking. Also I hear that sometimes they appear in the sewers (natural artifacts anyway).

I found an Itchy Spiral in my last world. Radioactive, spawned pools of blood, and drew nether world attention to me. I set it down and threw a nuke at it because that’s just bad juju right there.

They are very rare, and they come in clothing, melee weapons, and items.

I once had a “Sword of Fungal Aeons” once… +60 cut damage and sadly, didn’t fit in my scabbard.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:11, topic:8225”]They are very rare, and they come in clothing, melee weapons, and items.

I once had a “Sword of Fungal Aeons” once… +60 cut damage and sadly, didn’t fit in my scabbard.[/quote]

I wish it would have summoned the fungal queen to fight for you for like 1min.

So it would summon princess peach?

How do you find wearable and wieldable artifacts anyway?

You used to be able to get them in certain mines but none have spawned for me on the requisite mobs since 0.B. Seems like the drop rate was either hugely reduced or removed entirely.

I’ve got a robe on my first certain mine visited in 0.B, so either I’m the avatar of luck, or…

1. Artifacts improve in “quality” the more are generated (presumably per-world). So your first few are probably gonna be Meh compared to later ones.

2. Mines are generally a good place to start. Not every mine’ll have 'em, but most either will have the opportunity to fight for gear-type artifacts, or have a key to a place that has them laying around. Either way, gear-type artifacts aren’t available without either risk or debug mapgen. Weird stone shapes (“natural” artifacts, as in STALKER) are rare but happen in map_specials so can crop up just about anywhere. If there’s a patch of rubble with something smack in the middle, that’s an anomaly. Careful and go claim your prize.

3. The Man With The Hands had a nifty artifact sword that was useless as a weapon, but mapped the area and grew plants when activated. That file’s over a year old now though.

That is [glow=black,1,300]SICK[/glow] I have been playing a lot more carefully now, so that I can find a legendary artifact.

I have a dagger that maps the world when activated (and a lot of other things), but it doesn’t charge and I only have one use left. :frowning:

So far, i’ve had a stone that worked as a area-of-effect zombie pheromone when activated(allowed that character to enjoy it’s retirement), another stone that opened Nether portals ocasionally and an artifact that healed me, and recharged by doing EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF DAMAGE it healed.