I found a... (Possible Spoilers)

… glowing napkin in some debri outside the town. Its description is “This very thin sheet glows faintly” and apperantly it has 4 charges. Also when i picked it up i got the message “You feel an otherwordly attention upon you…”. So,what does it do when activated?

you found an artifact that are rare, they are uncommon and give good benefits if you can handle their bad effects the wiki has all info available on artifacts.

Well the easiest way to find out what it does is… use it. They usually (all the ones I’ve seen) recharge over time but they might be dangerous so have a med kit or two on hand. I’m looking at you radioactive, flaming, lightning rod. Oh, and use it above ground so you don’t get teleported into a rock.

As for your [spoiler=otherworldly attention]While you hold the item you will increase the spawn rate of otherworldly creatures like flaming eyes, krecks, blank bodies and the like. If you don’t want these creatures spawning then put down the item although it will take some time for your attention (spawn rate) to bleed off.

The item will not cause them to spawn by just being on the floor, only when it’s held and while the attention lingers.[/spoiler]

I found an artifact that heals me when used , but also spawns shadows. So my body always ends up decaying. :frowning:

So i can just store it somewhere and the spawn rate of otherwordly creatures will go back down to normal?

never found an artifcat. are they random spawns or in unique areas? i tend to die after a while. or put it down and go to the next version.

Well I Believe you can… Just hide for a few days and shoot anything that spawns around you, those nether creatures can be nasty at times.

There are random spawns, sometimes in crators, but also at the end of dungeons i’m pretty sure (i.e mines or temples). I found my first in a pile of Breathers. There was lots of lighting.

There are random spawns, sometimes in crators, but also at the end of dungeons i’m pretty sure (i.e mines or temples). I found my first in a pile of Breathers. There was lots of lighting.[/quote]

Someone call for an Advanced Guide?

[spoiler=Mini-Guide: Artifacts In Brief]Artifacts can extremely rarely spawn on the surface, such as with Aggrons_shell’s Breather/Lighting (clarify: lit up, or electricity?) artifact. Those are the “Anomaly” micro-spawn. Generally the artifact has something to do with the anomaly’s effect, but I’ve seen that drift a bit in the later builds. These are called “natural” artifacts.

If you get (un?)lucky in a Mine or make it to the end of a Strange Temple, you can find gear-based artifacts. Theoretically they can be better than ordinary gear, along with the artifact powers. In practice, though, they tend to be a bit heavier/slower/otherwise worse than mundane gear. It took quite a bit of farming the Amigara Fault to find a Helmet that was more protective than the Army Helmet I was wearing. (And its equip-effects weren’t worth it.)

But don’t let that stop you–sometimes the special powers are worth schlepping a heavy-ass Sword around just to invoke it
every so often.

For the record: a natural artifact’s adjective should have some bearing on its effects, but that’s as unreliable as the anomaly-linkage. Gear-artifacts’ names are procedurally generated and need not have any relation to their effects.
[/spoiler]