Spiked Harp of Shattered Aeons?

I went down into a mine and activated the tremors on a terminal at the final level and killed all of the Amigara horrors. After I killed the last one, it dropped an artifact called the “Spiked Harp of Shattered Aeons.”

The description tells me that it has unknown powers and that i should try activating it, but it has no charges. Can anybody tell me what it does and how i can recharge it?

You’ve found yourself a artifact! Good job! All artifacts have random abilities and effects, dictated by the adjectives in the name of the artifact. Rather counterintuitively, the adjectives don’t seem to have any relation to the effect that the the adjective represents. For instance, a “breathing” artifact will mutate you. There is a guide floating around somewhere that has all these effects listed, but I have no idea where. The way the artifact is charged is also in there somewhere, but I have no idea where. Anyway, I’d try geting hurt, eating, and killing things, as all of these have charged artifacts in the past.

To see what the artifact can do, first drop it and pick it up. Check your message log to see if it mentions something. Usually you can get an idea of what the artifact does to you. Also try wielding it, which could also give different effects.

Some artifacts have charges, and if they do they usually come with charges already - so if there’s not there isn’t any. If there are, activating them will have some other effects that could happen, and it’ll recharge on its own in different ways, most commonly doing damage to your survivor or inflicting pain.

Warning: artifacts that do have charges can have problematic effects when activated. Probably the most problematic is activating an artifact and it releases a wall of fire surrounding you. If you activate an artifact and it asks you which tile you want to activate the artifact in, do it far, far, far away from your survivor.

I’ve heard this claim before, but I’ve never noticed any pattern to the names/abilities.

Otherwise, that’s pretty good advice. I just recently found a “breathing tear” that I got from a random spot on that map (it had a “breather” creature - rather silly things, really), and it has 4 charges max, heals me slightly (about like repair nanobots, or so), inflicts pain to recharge, and appears to have NO negatives! Seriously, I’ve never found one of those before, ever. It may have one of the ones with no message, like worse weather, or something, but I can live with that.

Some artifacts you can wield and fire, too. Some lucky survivor on IRC found one that shot acid!

I’ve found some pretty good artifacts myself over the years, though I’ve had to leave them behind every time I switch worlds. Last world I found a ring that was literally the One Ring - evil presence, invisibility, made me hungry and thirsty.

You can take them with you across worlds just as easily as taking a character between worlds. Easier, really - they’re all in artifacts.gsav

I know, but I only keep like one in a hundred artifacts and all the rest are in there too. I don’t want to clutter up my new world with all those worthless artifacts. I’ll find more.

Is there someone already mentioned that all this artifacts stuff looks like a reference to the Strugatsky “Roadside Picnic” and a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

It is quite easy to edit that file, especially if all you are doing is culling stuff that no longer exists (throw the bad stuff in lava, for instance).

Best one I found was a sword. Wielding it had some drawbacks, but merely just having it on the inventory gave invisibility with no negative effects.

Best one I found was a sword. Wielding it had some drawbacks, but merely just having it on the inventory gave invisibility with no negative effects.[/quote]

That is so broken. Well, less so than it used to be (I think they’ve given a secubots IR and given some zombies something like that - Predators, I’m looking at you), but still crazy good.

Best one I found was a sword. Wielding it had some drawbacks, but merely just having it on the inventory gave invisibility with no negative effects.[/quote]

That is so broken. Well, less so than it used to be (I think they’ve given a secubots IR and given some zombies something like that - Predators, I’m looking at you), but still crazy good.[/quote]

The experimental I had it on was about three months old. It still kept you invisible from the secubots - though at that point secubots will shoot at my survivor not holding the sword even if there was no light.

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:6, topic:11502”]I’ve found some pretty good artifacts myself over the years, though I’ve had to leave them behind every time I switch worlds. Last world I found a ring that was literally the One Ring - evil presence, invisibility, made me hungry and thirsty.[/quote]I found one that had evil presence and cocaine addiction.

Well, the cocaine addiction was just so well timed that I thought the artifact did it. especially when the withdrawls arent explicitly stated by the game. Suddenly I just had no strength and no dex and no perception.