[Experimental] The weather at start is just insane and dogs

Weather:

As the title says, 24F at start is pretty hardcore, imo. I mean, I manage sometimes to get safe, but 90% of time I get frostbite because I spawn in a place with little towns/no clothes store near me.
The three solutions I can think are:

a) Test the weather a bit more (because the weather always have been buggy, everyone knows that…)
b) Give players warm clothes. Isn’t fair start in a spawn with 24F, with jeans and a shirt and without any clothes store.
c) Make the weather random at start. In one game you can start in a warm place, in other a freezing one, in other a temperate one, etc.

Dogs:

They are simply inmortal. I start with a character with a lot of piercing ability, no backpack. Manage to make a knife spear, a dog appears in scene… I can’t hit him at least once. He killed me with full life.
I can’t think in any solution but making them more prone to damage or something. I mean, their damage is “fair” because they are dogs, but c’mon, isn’t fair that they manage to dodge every single attack, with and without backpack.

Well, that’s all.
Thank you.

What experimental is this? Weather has undergone a fair bit of changes recently that should have stopped you from getting frostbitten in the beginning.

Mmmh… Oh, experimental version “f47fd1c”.

1. Start your character with melee skill instead of piercing.
  2. Get a weapon with a decent “plus” to hit; I use a makeshift crowbar as starting weapon normally.
  3. You can always choose a profession which starts with better clothing. Or worse! (shower victim).
  4. You can change starting season in world generation options (although I’m not sure of every scenarios effect). Start in summer?
  5. You can also change season length, to give you more time to prepare before winter hits.

I recently had a similiar problem where i couldn t hit a wolf at all.
With torso encumbrance 1 and meele skill 13 + barehanded 10. Then I tried shooting it with a bow and it dodged the arrows was freaking scary… thought it would kill me untill i murdered it with a stone to the head . /confused

[quote=“MrFrodo, post:4, topic:7333”]1. Start your character with melee skill instead of piercing.
2. Get a weapon with a decent “plus” to hit; I use a makeshift crowbar as starting weapon normally.
3. You can always choose a profession which starts with better clothing. Or worse! (shower victim).
4. You can change starting season in world generation options (although I’m not sure of every scenarios effect). Start in summer?
5. You can also change season length, to give you more time to prepare before winter hits.[/quote]

The “start with melee instead of piercing” was pretty useful.

The weather starting at 24F every game is a bug, but expect that temperature to be possible.
With that being the case, we do need to go through the professions and update some of the clothes.

A few more tips:

1. I start every single game with a tailoring skill of 2. It costs only one point but gives you so much goodness. Go kill your first animal, butcher it for bone (perhaps another point in survival), or scavenge for a sewing kit.
    Then smash some windows for rags, and you will be able to craft a full set of warm, protective and storage clothing within no time.
    Balaclavas are especially useful, and try to get your hands on some leather, as it can produce warm clothes. Fur is usually overkill, imho.

2. Start with static NPCs enabled. They are pretty bug-free, give you an interesting quest, more depth to the game, and might kill the early Moose or dog you encounter. Luckily, they don’t care about corpses, so you can easily get a bone needle from their rampage for 1.

Also, dogs are usually not aggressive, perhaps you attacked it before? The zombified version of our canine friends are infinetly more annoying and dangerous (looking at you rot-weiler, Z9)

If I’m parsing the Github logs correctly, sheets are now wearable, so if you get cold at the beginning of the game huddling under a pile of curtains until you warm up a bit may now be a viable strategy. I will try this out later.

I don’t mind starting on a cold day so much, but has the summer weather been toned down a bit? In the experimental about a month ago, it was consistently like 105 F during the day in summer, meaning you couldn’t go outside wearing any clothing at all without being crippled by pain. It looks like the weather code has been tweaked since then - did that help?

It’s helped a lot I’d say, it was crippling going outside even at the start of the game in spring, and summer meant you basically had to run around naked. With the latest versions it was definitely tweaked so you’re less affected by the weather, though possibly a fraction too much in the wrong direction - going outside at anything below freezing is anything but comfortable unless you’re in a parka, though now I can go out in starter clothes and not even get chilly.

Depends on your temperature tolerances/adjustment to cold. It’s pretty comfortable around and slightly below 0C for me in just a light vest, and I’m positively cooking in parka-like clothes unless it’s -20 or something. While everyone else just wears parkas since childhood and then needs sable coats in -10C winters.

Hello, I’d just like to also note that I am also finding wildlife in general to be unhittable. 5 melee skill and 3 cutting/piercing/bashing skill using a survival knife, over 100 swings at a dog, 20-30 on a rattlesnake, 100+ on a black rat, 30-40 on a raccoon. I never hit them once. No torso encumbrance. Dex was 10. Had Eskrima fighting style also.

I think something’s gone crazy with wildlife and dodge values.

Edit: I should note that I went and found a fungaloid. Slashed him to pieces in two hits, no missing. So it doesn’t appear to be all mobs.

Edit 2: Kevin informed me of what was up in the original thread I commented about this in:
"There was a bug in a very recent experimental that made everything have infinite dodge after you saved and loaded near them. If you move to a current experimental it will go away."
Thanks for the info Kevin.