[experimental] leg drop pouches incorrect encumberance

drop pouches + jeans (fits) = 2 encumberance, when it should be either 0 or 1.

I’ve noticed quite a lot of seemingly incorrect encumberance with other clothing too, (e.g, wearing 2 fitted torso items with arms leaves 1 or no encumberance on torso, but 2 on arms) so I’ll try and make a list when I have a bit of time.

This issue still exist with the experimental build 7.1-1678-gdb08277. This issue seem to apply to any article of clothing and accessory like utility vest, tool belt, pouch, leather pouch, drop leg pouches and even messenger bags. Said items are 0 encumbrance but wearing a piece of them will give you +1 encumbrance to the body part they are attached to, wearing two item of the same kind it will only put a single penalty for the pair. For example you attach two messenger bag to your character it will apply +1 to torso encumbrance also sometimes wearing two vest, tool belt, pouches or leg pouches if there from a stack will make you wear two pieces of them at once and will assign them to one letter designation.

Encumbrance in the experimental is currently working as intended. The way encumbrance works is this:

1. Any originally non-zero encumbrance clothing (so that includes 1 encumbrance fitted clothes) counts for layering
  2. Layering on the torso gives ([layering value] - 1)*.5 encumbrance.
  3. Layering on other body parts gives ([layering value] - 1) encumbrance

I haven’t ever heard about the multiple wear bug, if that is happening it’s definitely not intended.

The encumbrance system feels a bit too exacting at times. Every day in real life I wear three layers on my upper body, two on my legs, and two on my feet, without any discomfort or having my ability to move impaired.

On top of that, stuff like those chest belt pocket things and the leg pouches are specifically designed to not encumber the wearer.

All your layers you wear on a daily basis would fall into the “fitted plus 0 enc”* pile, wouldn’t they? In that case there’s no encumbrance. Yes carrying stuff is designed to be minimally encumbering, but particularly if they’re loaded up with stuff, the impact is not 0, and we don’t have a way for them to be unencumbering if empty and encumbering if loaded down right now.

I agree that the system we have isn’t ideal, primarally I think skill penalties are entirely too coarse-grained a way to go about it, and not particularly intuitive a way to go about it to boot. If someone wants to step up and design a better encumbrance system we can talk, but just “it’s too strict” really doesn’t help at all.

*Fitted tshirts, regular pants or skirts, underclothes of most kinds, socks, comfortable shoes.

Perhaps we could simply lower the actual penalties a bit?

Maybe lose half a skill point per point of encumbrance up to a certain threshold before it goes back to one per encumbrance level?

I wish I could do more for this than just throw suggestions out, but I’m hardly a programmer - the actual code parts of the game are mostly beyond my comprehension.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:5, topic:2936”]All your layers you wear on a daily basis would fall into the “fitted plus 0 enc”* pile, wouldn’t they? In that case there’s no encumbrance. Yes carrying stuff is designed to be minimally encumbering, but particularly if they’re loaded up with stuff, the impact is not 0, and we don’t have a way for them to be unencumbering if empty and encumbering if loaded down right now.

I agree that the system we have isn’t ideal, primarally I think skill penalties are entirely too coarse-grained a way to go about it, and not particularly intuitive a way to go about it to boot. If someone wants to step up and design a better encumbrance system we can talk, but just “it’s too strict” really doesn’t help at all.

*Fitted tshirts, regular pants or skirts, underclothes of most kinds, socks, comfortable shoes.[/quote]

All the items worn are fitted when possible and the torso which I used as an example has a tank top, army jacket and 2 messenger bag to be as non restrictive as possible on my earlier test. Is it possible to give such equipment a tag or quality added to them? Introducing load bearing gears https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improved_Load_Bearing_Equipment tag to some equipment can give them a free pass to encumbrance as most of them are designed to not restrict you in your movement as much as possible. If you do introduce something similar to the game make them a free pass on encumbrance up to their rated capacity, although I don’t know how as all the weight and volume seems to be pooled together and not distinctly associated to per gear but just negating the encumbrance and giving a good amount of weight allowed and decent volume should work as the said LBE gear like the LBE backpacks are usually tougher but are less bulkier than regular commercial backpacks. Back to my suggestion, it will be a free pass to encumbrance but only if there are no same load bearing gear of similar type present or any other regular load carrying equipment so let’s say a player has a shirt and jacket on at the start and he has a load bearing harness and other LBE like LBE pouch, pistol harness etc… it will give 0 encumbrance to the chest but if the player wears lets say a regular utility vest the whole list of gear applies the penalty of the old system, if the player uses a non LBE bag it will also apply the penalty or if the player decides to put on another LBE pouch. While we are at suggesting about changes is it possible to exclude article of clothing from the 75 item count limit, this proposed solution has one downside of having a lot of distinct gear on you and that will take its toll on the item count carried by the player.

Just because you are using a system that is designed to minimalize the impact of a particular piece of clothing does not mean that it doesn’t encumber you at all.

Personally I’d like to convert from a skill penalty to an actual flat one, similar to how mouth encumbrance works. So for example instead of giving you -1 dodge skill (which at it’s maximum is something like 16% chance to dodge, though it can also be as little as <1%) to a more flat -5 dodge roll type system.