Encumberance is really confusing... request clarity/rework

I’ve been trying to figure out how encumberance works, like why these have the same encumberance:

[ul][li]army_jacket (fits)[/li]
[li]trenchcoat (fits)[/li]
[li]arms: 1[/li][/ul]

and

[li]elbow_pads (fits)[/li]
[li]arms:1[/li][/ul]

But these do not:

[li]hard_arm_guards[/li]
[li]arms:2[/li][/ul]

and

[li]hard_arm_guards[/li]
[li]arms:3[/li][/ul]

or

[li]hard_arm_guards[/li]
[li]arms:3[/li][/ul]

and

[li]hard_arm_guards[/li]
[li]arms:4[/li][/ul]

it’s almost as though the Arm Guards and Elbow Pads belong to their own layer and conflict with each other but not the rest

There is a bunch of other weirdness going on also like some places saying the encumberance formula is T=((N-1)*(1/2)) + E but other places say its different for each body part and there being no fomulas at all on the Encumberance wiki page, and no explanation about what “lies close to the skin and layers easily” means, as some seem to affect encumberance and others don’t.

Is there anyone can answer any of these questions for me?

[ul][li]Are the fomulas for each body part different?[/li]
[li]What are the formula(s) for encumberance?[/li]
[li]How does “layers easily” affect encumberance? Does it layer separately, or have a reduced layer effect?[/li]
[li]Do some “layers easily” items have no layering effect? if so can you wear them infinitely or is there a threshold after which they start affecting encumberance?[/li]
[li]Does weight, volume, or coverage affect the amount of encumberance an item adds? (to what extent?)[/li]
[li]How much “free” layering do you get for each body part?[/li]
[li]Does the order of layering affect your encumberance at all?[/li][/ul]

And ideally the following would be added/changed in game to make this more clear

[ul][li]Rename Encumberance on equipment to Bulk and display the hidden layering stat as Restrictiveness. This is to make it clear that encumberance is comprised of both, and to allow discussion to be far less confusing. (currently Encumberance can mean either the specific special additional encumberance of a piece of armor, or the total effect the item has on encumberance)[/li]
[li]Allow the Encumberance screen to show partial values (if applicable) for Bulk and Restrictiveness either in the fomula or when looking at a particular item on a particular body part (to improve player feedback and reduce the gameyness of even layers being more effective than odd layers in some bodyparts).[/li]
[li]Possibly allow items to belong to specific layers (underclothing, clothing, overclothing) with each layer having an amount of “free” restrictiveness if they’re layered properly (balanced against the current effectiveness of course), to add usefulness to the layering system[/li][/ul]

[edit: reworked the first sentence to be hopefully more clear]

This is because the first is the old formula (which IIRC is the one still used in the .A stable release) and the other stuff is all new, experimental version only stuff.

Note: I’m using the 0.A version

exactly, as far as I can tell there’s no reason for the behavior I’m seeing

Uh, any hard arm armor (hard guards, chitin, metal) is at least 1 encumbrance on its own and is NOT fittable. Neoprene sleeves and elbow pads are not encumbering.

Hard guards and elbow pads would start stacking up on the arms and adding layer problems, too.

Hoping that clears it up.

Sort of related: When you start the game as a backpacker, his/her items are not sensibly layered :slight_smile:

[quote=“KA101, post:6, topic:6240”]Uh, any hard arm armor (hard guards, chitin, metal) is at least 1 encumbrance on its own and is NOT fittable. Neoprene sleeves and elbow pads are not encumbering.

Hard guards and elbow pads would start stacking up on the arms and adding layer problems, too.

Hoping that clears it up.[/quote]

But why would the elbow pads be 0 encumbrance without the arm guards, but 1 encumbrance with them? And remember, I tested with an extra piece on to account for the possible even/odd equipment eccentricity

[quote=“xpyder, post:8, topic:6240”][quote=“KA101, post:6, topic:6240”]Uh, any hard arm armor (hard guards, chitin, metal) is at least 1 encumbrance on its own and is NOT fittable. Neoprene sleeves and elbow pads are not encumbering.

Hoping that clears it up.[/quote]

But why would the elbow pads be 0 encumbrance without the arm guards, but 1 encumbrance with them? And remember, I tested with an extra piece on to account for the possible even/odd equipment eccentricity[/quote]

Having two trenchcoats kinda helps in those latter examples. We assess penalties both for specific items and for layers, and non-fitted gear tends not to layer as well.

So…maybe don’t put so much stuff on your arms?

I am a long time player and I find the screen confusing. I get it now ,but it was a long ramp up.