New encumbrance

So encumbrance system had some changes to it and while wearing items I saw that the layering system seems to be altered.

Can anyone give me a quick run trough what has changed?

Baseline:

All encumbrance values are multiplied by 10.
You can have an item with an encumbrance of, let’s say 8 or 15.
There are no more 0 enc items.

Layering works as it did, though the devs plan to change it.

[quote=“Zireael, post:2, topic:9211”]Baseline:

All encumbrance values are multiplied by 10.
You can have an item with an encumbrance of, let’s say 8 or 15.
There are no more 0 enc items.

Layering works as it did, though the devs plan to change it.[/quote]

Not quite.
I am wearing a duster, backpack, long underwear top at encumbrance of 15+0=15.
Putting on a single long sleeved shirt puts my encumbrance to 8+0=8?
2 long sleeved shirts puts my encrumbance to 1+10=11??

Then I don’t know. I ran into some weirdness myself.

Head over to https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/11722#issuecomment-84611549 and give those examples :slight_smile:

[quote=“Zireael, post:4, topic:9211”]Then I don’t know. I ran into some weirdness myself.

Head over to https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/11722#issuecomment-84611549 and give those examples :)[/quote]

Yeah, more I’m testing more it feels like a bug.

It is a bug.

PR’d a fix: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11742

No more 0-encumbrance items
Wearing 2 long-sleeved shirts puts encumbrance at BLOODY ELEVEN

What the fuck?! How are we even supposed to MOVE?!

10 suposedly equals 1 of the old system afaik. and everything not in the double diggits gets rounded down. Hope i got it right.

[quote=“IcedPee, post:7, topic:9211”]>No more 0-encumbrance items

Wearing 2 long-sleeved shirts puts encumbrance at BLOODY ELEVEN

What the fuck?! How are we even supposed to MOVE?![/quote]

Eleven equals old one, so no need to yell.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:6, topic:9211”]It is a bug.

PR’d a fix: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11742[/quote]
What about the fact that we can no longer wear 2 items with no penalty on same layer? When you wear 2 long leeve shirts (encumbrance 0) you get enc penalty of 1. You used to be able to wear 2 items on same layer without any layer penalty.

That must have been a bug or a special case. If usualy you wear 2 items on the same layer you will get a penalty. It was always this way.

This is a result of them no longer being 0 encumbrance when not fitting. The code currently explicitly checks for 0 encumbrance. If the item isn’t 0 encumbrance, it’s encumbrance is lowered by 10. If that goes negative, it is set back to 0.

It could be easily fixed by decreasing the layering penalty by half of the negative encumbrance.
However Kevin wants to get rid of layer penalty altogether.

Not sure if I should fix this now or wait until the rework. I don’t know if the layering penalty is about to get removed soon or in a week or a month or anything, except that it’s supposed to be removed some day.

Yes this was always like this on THIRD item now it happens on second item: "The formula appears to be T=((N-1)(1/2)) + E, where" from wiki not it basically is :T=((N)(1/2)) + E

In my memory it was on the second. Like when i wore 2 trenchcoats i got penaltys even when wearing nothing else.

Either i recall it incorrectly or its not the same for every item or the item you are reffering to was bugged(and so other might have been to nd it has been fixed)

i know you could wear certain items twice… like drop leg pouches. but those were special.

[quote=“Valpo, post:14, topic:9211”]In my memory it was on the second. Like when i wore 2 trenchcoats i got penaltys even when wearing nothing else.

Either i recall it incorrectly or its not the same for every item or the item you are reffering to was bugged(and so other might have been to nd it has been fixed)

i know you could wear certain items twice… like drop leg pouches. but those were special.[/quote]

You could wear 3 drop leg wear since they had “layers easily” tag that made layering penalty to 0.5 (0.5*3 = 1.5 => 1.5-1 = 0.5 > 1).

No i could not as far as i remember. I maxed my inventory and i never wore more then 2 because it gave me encumbrance to wear 3.
Unless i missremember which i very much doubt you must have experienced a bug.
3rd pouch gave me 1 layering encumbrance. That or i had a bug.

[quote=“Valpo, post:16, topic:9211”]No i could not as far as i remember. I maxed my inventory and i never wore more then 2 because it gave me encumbrance to wear 3.
Unless i missremember which i very much doubt you must have experienced a bug.
3rd pouch gave me 1 layering encumbrance. That or i had a bug.[/quote]

If you had anything that did not have “Layers easily” tag and was fitted to strapped layer you could only wear 1 drop puch. I think there were some armors that were fitted to strapped layer. Also note that you could not wear 3rd puch because there is only 2 of a kind allowed, rule for wearing items.

Here’s a quick example I did with 0.B stable build

Okay but i can t remember ever beeing able to wear 2 trench coats at once w/o penalty. This was always something rerved for special items with the layers easy tag. Also there where other items that did not have this and could still be worn twice so i asumed its a bug.

edit:

I remember wearing kneepads like that too.

I was contemplating whether it had something to do with the total coverage of all items on the same layer-.

Internally, “Layers easily” is not a tag. It is only a message - it is displayed when the item fits and had 0 encumbrance before fitting.

Notice that many items no longer “layer easily” - this is because their base encumbrance (before fitting) is no longer 0.

You can wear 3 items that layer easily before the first point of penalty. Or you can wear 1 item that layers easily and 1 that doesn’t.

Faszinating .
To bad that i can not use this wisdome anymore :stuck_out_tongue: