Expanding the gameplay capabilities of the spider web?

When I look at a mutant rat that can easily create a bunch of tunnels, chew through any walls and ignore the steel doors of laboratories. When I look at a bear that is capable of missing an entire season. When I look at a tree that almost does not need to eat, but only to live in a garden where it gets the remaining food. And when I look at a spider, and at its only pride in the game- a web, a tool that can slow down an enemy or create a bed for you, it looks damn sad.

spider silk is an incredibly durable, elastic material-a jacket made of such a material will be strong, durable, lightweight and the characteristics of spider web clothing will not be inferior to military uniforms. due to the properties of the web, there are absolutely no problems in order to fit clothes to any needs, size and requirements, which will make it the easiest material to create clothes (of course, if you are a spider).

in the game, even a bat can break huge nets from the web (some spiders catch these very bats in their nets, from which they CANNOT get out.) [[I am ready to discuss and propose balance issues if you ask me. at the moment I’m talking about what we’re missing]] spider silk is a very useful, but expensive material. creating networks is not a matter of 3 seconds, it can take hours of painstaking work to create a good web, and this is very tedious and costly for a spider, because creating a web should be improved in quality and greatly reduced in speed. also, the web is not sticky. the glue created by the spider makes a linden web, and he is able to choose which web to create, and he remembers exactly where and what networks he wove, the spider is also able to adjust the thickness of the threads. so each network is initially built from a frame that is created from thick, non-sticky threads, which the spider then weaves and connects with a bunch of more sticky and numerous fishing nets, which means that the spider player should have no problems creating a web of any thickness and strength, of course with stronger spending in the form of food and time.
this will also allow us as a player to create spider glue for our needs, because we as a player are reasonable. there are many applications and benefits, but I am ready to balance the whole issue with this neurotic force so that there are no questions about the imbalance towards the spider, but there is interest

This does openup the possiblility of harvesting the webs of gaint spiders and using spider silk as a raw matterial for many things.

(also take a close look at the first letter of the topic)

oh my God, I typed the name in the translator, sorry about that name…

this will not only open the way to collecting the web, turning it into material, it will also open the way for us to do more useful things. why can’t I weave a few trees nearby and create a web of webs. a waterproof, durable, good tent made of cobwebs, the entrance to which will be a lot of intertwined threads through which only a spider can pass? you do not need to seize a house in the city, barricading all the doors and windows, trying to keep them intact so that they suffer less… you will completely entwine the whole house from the inside with a web, turn it into your home and fortress. even if the enemy penetrates it, he will receive terrible debuffs to movement, or even be completely paralyzed, up to the point of being unable to attack. and even if 10 hulks attack you, they won’t be able to break through the web for about 1-2 minutes, which will give you a lot of time to escape. this will allow you to use the web to repair any woven things, because the clothes that will be repaired with the help of the web will absolutely not lose in quality or durability.

the only problems will be high flammability, complete vulnerability to acid, transmission of electricity. but very good protection against melee, and if you strengthen the armor with inserts of any kind (the web is very light, even inserting titanium plates will be burdensome not much stronger than a regular down jacket) then from a long-range weapon. and most importantly-all this is realistic! the improvement/nerf of the spider that I can already offer to an incredible level that will allow me to be a really good RP.

You can even create a raft out of cobwebs and swim on it!!!

I have prepared ideas for the re-balancing of the web, spider mutations and their capabilities and disadvantages, the idea of expanding the parasite wasps, as well as before that, absolutely not observed in the game by the gender demorphism of mutations. imagine representatives of 1 species when they are of different sexes have different characteristics.

And so, for the whole day I had quite a lot of time to think about how it would be possible to implement the web in the game, rebuild spiders and mutant spiders.
let’s start with the web:
at the moment it is nothing more than a negative effect on the tile, like a toxic gas. but the web slows you down. for spiders and the spider player, it is absolutely harmless and even useful, and that’s it.
I propose to create several types of webs, unlike the existing 3 levels, it would be more correct to create a web that covers the floor, a web that covers the floor and ceiling (a standard web wall) and a web that covers the walls, and it would be correct to make this web of 2 types: the “trap” type and the “nest” type. spiders do not use sticky webs to stuff the insides of their nests. they fasten threads to it, but they don’t make their whole house sticky, so it’s safe to walk in this type of web. a web of the “trap” type, if you try to pass through it, will make you get confused (this is implemented in the game, but it will make you skip a few moves and no more). and you will be able to get out of the web ONLY if your strength is above a certain level. and the necessary strength will depend on how big the network is in front of you. You can try to set fire to the network by setting yourself on fire from a part, and save yourself if you are too weak or the situation is special. This will make players more wary of going to spider locations. about sticking to the web: it would be wrong to force the player to stick to all types of networks equally. if a player hits a spider web wall, then that’s right. if a player steps on the cobweb floor, he will be able to escape by sacrificing his own shoes or socks, and will not lose the ability to attack if he is surrounded. (I was thinking that attempts to cut the web walls should lead to the fact that your weapon will get entangled in the web and you will not be able to get it, but this sounds TOO cruel and difficult to implement). These actions will allow you to create more realistic, fair and interesting spawning grounds for spiders, as well as allow the player to use the web to create their own nets to catch enemies and food, create a temporary or permanent home and make the choice of a mutant “spider” more interesting.

The next step will be to correctly add the web as a material, to make it possible to obtain spider silk from any kind of web, and through mutation (as we get rope). but here we will begin to draw a line-the web, although it is a super good material, is not used by spiders on an industrial scale, and it can only be used by collecting the whole and later connecting the fibers into a single strand. this will require a huge waste of time for a NON-spider to find and collect raw material and create whole silk, which will make it much less profitable for non-spiders.

spider silk is a lightweight, durable, well-stretchable material, clothing from which will be no worse than military uniforms. It is very difficult for a player to get good quality silk in large quantities. it will be necessary to look for rare spider nests, carefully kill all their inhabitants, collect silk threads and turn them into the right material with a large ratio. this will make the material that is not worse than Kevlar to be more or less balanced for price/ quality.

so now we’re going to talk about changing enemies, spiders and parasitic wasps:
in the game, spiders are enemies that see very poorly, are terrible at finding the player. I want to draw attention to the fact that spiders are great at feeling vibrations, so spiders should be much better than ants in terms of finding a player by sound. spiders are very adapted to life in any situation creatures. there is almost no place on our planet where they cannot be found. they are underground, in the air (spiders are able to use the net to fly. it would be nice to add the “rain of young spiders” event), underwater, they were found in deserts and even mountains, spiders pretend to be other animals-a lot of spider species pretending to be ants live in their nests. I’m sure it would be very unexpected to get a venomous bite from an ant that wasn’t an ant.
it is also worth saying that the venom of spiders, although dangerous, so the player should not worry about their bite, it will be right to add spiders of different species. a wolf spider, a big lonely hunter that quickly pounces on you, grabs you with all its paws and bites you until you die. weaver spiders that scatter cobwebs around themselves that will slow you down a lot when fighting with no spider nests that will be populated by a bunch of small, dog-sized spiders representing ordinary enemies. and I don’t want to forget about the content of the late game-bird eaters, huge spiders. the biggest bird-eater godiaf, the biggest spider in the world is able to fight snakes. his chitin is covered with hairs that he uses as a weapon (you can add an area around his body that will hurt the player if he is next to him and his eyes are not protected)
very often spiders are caring mothers, they carry their children on their abdomen, so it is possible to add enemies that create cubs after death.

in contrast to spiders, the types of which can be invented endlessly, it’s time to talk about the expansion of parasite wasps. The dermatics in the game are able to attack you, implant eggs in you and escape. there are small nests in which dermatics keep slaves, and grow young. but since no one is receiving them, I will skip this point, but I would not mind offering ideas on this score as well.
parasitic wasps, very often, are divided into subspecies: those who capture a spider and carry it to the nest, and lay eggs there. and those who use the spider to the very end. infected spiders carry a huge larva on their body, and do not even notice it, and that in due time produces a powerful drug for the spider. in 1 moment, the larva will force the spider to weave a cocoon for her, and will eat the spider without a trace (yes. this is cruel), so you can add nests of infected spiders that will eventually turn into a huge brood of parasitic wasps. also, the parasite wasps will not bypass the player.
I really want to see the mechanics similar to the nurse robots: the ossa injects poison into the player and starts keeping a distance from the player. when he falls asleep, she will infect you with an egg. when you wake up, you will have no choice but to start treatment. if you fail and fail, the larva that has appeared on you will slowly begin to devour you, making you weak over time, instead giving you great joy, until eventually it will devour you. it will be good if the player, when sleeping, meets the parasite and does not find out about it until the first symptoms. this will make the parasites much more dangerous for the mutant spider.

the moment has come to talk about changing the balance of the mutant:
we will start with the fact that silk-what we are talking about, is created in the abdomen. a huge spider organ that occupies at least 40% of the entire body, and sometimes more than 60%! this is a large and heavy part, which makes it impossible for a spider to wear pants, part of the ekepirovka. it will complicate trips by cars, horses, as well as stiffness. in return, you will be able to produce silk.
the food must be recycled. in our world there is a kind of spiders that there are ONLY plants, but all other spiders are predators. what is the main way of feeding a spider?he catches his prey, wraps it with a web, injects digestive juice into it and drinks it after a few hours. (the stomach of the spiders is a real pump, it will allow the player and the spiders to use the mutated stomach to spit acid, which will make life more fun). spider mandibles do not allow you to eat well in a standard manner: spiders can eat their web when they need it, but feeding through liquid suction is very productive! this allows you to keep food alive for a long time when you are not hungry, always keep it close to you without fear of its escape. the sacrifice already digested by your juices will be a useful, energetically rich drink that will make its assimilation easier! in return, you will not be able to eat normal food. yes, I propose to unite the “predator” with the ability to feed only on liquid from corpses, which the player produces by wrapping corpses/living creatures (later killing them) with cobwebs, and dissolving them from the inside with acid.

I also want to say that spiders are blind, so I suggest making a mutant poorly sighted. of course, to give emv a good (ideal) hearing and sense of smell.
(we will solve it with bionics anyway)

male spiders are very fond of females, they are ready to sacrifice their lives in the ranks of the female, that’s why they give themselves up for eating. I won’t talk about breeding with a girl player, it will just be nice to divide spiders by gender (as a rule, females are more than males, in some species this difference is incredibly pronounced, like a dwarf and a giant) and add spider pheromones that will make male spiders be friendly to you, and the dominant female in the nest will try kill you. this will eventually secure the spider nest. I do not know whether to live there or not, but it’s the most important thing for RP.

it would be nice to add a change in the size of the pawn depending on the gender. as I said, usually males are smaller and females are larger, therefore slower

as a result, the spider will be able to create huge fortresses, live in nests with spiders, have good food supplies, a source of ideal material. but the spider is blind, does not tolerate heat and sun well, it tolerates blood loss and injuries (their body literally works thanks to fluid. if you put a hole in the leg and pump out all the fluid, the leg will become absolutely useless, this is different from a person who uses muscles-spiders have a hydraulic system. Therefore, they are strong, fast, but very fragile.

it will be great to show the molting of spiders. Once every 30 days throughout the day, the player will be paralyzed as a result, you will lose your old skin, within 12 hours you will be very weak and hungry. but by this method you can regenerate your limbs completely! (spiders are able to do this, it sounds like magic, but it’s true).

the spider will be an ideal stay-at-home, someone who rarely leaves the nest. but very weak, and unable to use transport (if you are a spider-girl it is 100%, the size of the abdomen and body will not allow. but the male will be able to do it. yes, we change the gameplay depending on gender, but it’s realistic. and it will make the player wonder if he will sacrifice it)

I really like the ideas, but who will implement them in game?

We already have different species of spiders implemented. It is just the case that they are all largely the same as are thier mega variants.

Idk, someone will be able to bring these ideas to life someday

Sadly, without someone who is ready to spend time coding all this wall of text into a game, you will not get anywhere. So finding someone willing to do this is a nececcary next step.
So many great ideas are deadborn for this reason.

Ifor the most part, there is a lot of work here because of the variability, but in fact there is nothing super complicated here. I have a friend who is a programmer and I can persuade him to start working on a mod, but he is quite lazy, although a good person. if a lot of people are interested in this idea, he can start working, but if we talk about such a fashion for only 2 people, its development will take a lot of time.

if someone likes this idea and would like to see it implemented, you can write it here

I just ‘wrapped’ up a project, and I could implement a few of these ideas into the game for you.

If you want to try this yourself, I would recommend reading the Guide To Adding New Content For First Time Modders, quite the trove of information. While the JSON or code might be sticky at first, and difficult to navigate the web of information, it gets easier with experience. In short, you’ll catch on to it quickly.

implement these ideas in the game?
it sounds great, but the full implementation will require the creation of a mod, so I’ll have to persuade my friend to create a whole mod on this topic. Although it will depend on the impact of the community, because he is not the biggest fan of mutations and likes to create a lot of small and convenient mods more (the ability to lock doors, make glass showcases, he likes a lot of possibilities)

I am not a programmer myself, I am good at creating ideas, methods of their implementation (if I am well acquainted with what needs to be heard/changed)

Mod content aside, keep in mind that huge spider web structures are going to have huge biomass and energy costs. Spider webs work because they’re incredibly efficient at what they do, consuming an incredibly small amount of material relative to the area covered. If you tried to build a house or even clothes out of silk, that’s not a sustainable biomass load, and it would take an extremely long time to produce.

Rather than palette swapping spider silk in for some other material, think about what kind of uniquely web-like structures you could build with silk out of extremely limited amounts of very strong material.

A hammock is the first I can think of. Covering one side of the web with debris such as leaves or grass mats could result in a tent or lean-to.

The way to get the most silk even for a spider mutant would be to just clear our spider basements and nests. If you harvest the silk from these locations you should definitely get enough silk to make clothing. Otherwise you would probably still have enough to make some extemely stong nets, thread, ropes or even cables out of it. I even remember reading that they where looking into spidersilk as a bulletresistant material so collecting a large amout of it would be worth it for that purpose alone.

that is why spiders are able to eat someone else’s/their own web for recycling and use. This feature will give spider nests more meaning and value. As I said above, it would be correct to place 1 individual in the nests, the main female, whose location is sought by other male spiders. in this way, it will be possible to introduce pheromones for the female variation of the mutation that will allow you to kill only the main enemy of the hive-and not get a knife in the back from “working” spiders.
but this does not mean that spider nests will become too simple. it would be more correct to say that spiders weave a continuous layer of cobwebs ONLY their burrows-nests (funnel spiders, and they are LONERS) and eggs (the clutch of spiders is huge, so there is an opportunity to increase the number of eggs), so for a big reward you will need to go to the heart of the nest anyway

small use of the web? highly effective repair of many types of clothing, a small amount of cobwebs can be used to temporarily barricade the passage (as strong as a wooden door, zombies will not be difficult to pull out a small amount of cobwebs attached to the wall, even if it slows them down, but the player will be able to pass through them if they are not), a small amount of cobwebs can use to create durable fishing nets.

it can also be said that the amount of web created by the player can be increased / decreased with the necessary mutations, with their own problems (more belly-much more difficult to handle transport and more stiffness, as an example)
Spiders can dig well (funnel spiders that live in tunnels with a closed spider lid (quite dangerous guys) and spiders in desert that can disguise themselves under the sand (quite interesting videos by the way)), so I don’t see any problems in allowing a player with a mutation giving + 4 limbs to dig the ground at the speed of a regular shovel.

if all this is too complicated, then I think it would be nice… at least add strong legs like a spider jumper so that a parkour player can jump at least 3 or 4 cells. it will simplify life a lot.

I’m not saying that the player can now only eat cobwebs, oh no, I think it would be more correct to link the balance of the web with the number of calcium in the player-this will allow the player to replenish the reserves of a precious resource, and at the same time will not make him capable of full web nutrition (although this is quite a difficult task).

I want to say that the silk collected from the nests already used by spiders can be called dirty. it is worse because for the most part it was used only to hold tunnels, and it is dirty. only a little bit of pure silk will be found in the room with the queen and the eggs.

this will not allow a player with weak mutations or a non-spider to easily obtain such rare material, but a mutant spider will be able to eat a dirty silk and recreate it. of course, with a large cost coefficient. if you remember that the abdomen of a spider is 40~ 70% of the weight of the whole body, it will be difficult for a spider to move normally, so you can give some bonuses from life for a spider

The current problem with harvesting cobwebs is the fact that they are listed as fields, while the current construction code can’t interact with them.

Maybe they should be made into traps? Normal spider threads being only 0,003 millimeters I could imagine even the giant spiders might have threads only the thickness of actual thread. Spotting a web of something like that would be fairly difficult. Would also make it possible to collect some relatively clean spider silk (might have to wash the glue off of it though). Other source of spider silk that could be harvested would be spider egg sacks (already present), their tunnels/burrows (looking at trapdoor spiders) and ofcourse their cocooned victims. The silk from these sources would be dirty and would have to be properly washed before it would be of use.

spider threads are smaller than a human hair, but a spider web is the size of a thread? such a web is capable of holding animals the size of a dog in a death grip. if we consider that spiders are able to change their size, then there is nothing strange in catching zombies and humans. in general, you wrote everything the same as I did in the comments above xd