Advice on mutagens?

Basically I’ve got a huge list of mutagens on my crafting list that I can make. I’m wondering what I should be attempting to use…

What’s worthwhile?

Which mutations are good to end up with? I don’t really want to have anything that stops me wearing a helmet or gives me some weird disability.

Spider mutagens. They are fucking awesome.
Go check out the wiki and you will understand.

Which ones in particular? I noticed a couple of good ones in the Spider category…

Also, what exactly is meant by “+8 to cut protection” (for example)?

Compared to my kevlar vest (72 or so cut protection I think?), that’s absolutely awful unless it works differently to armour. Seems to me that an exoskeleton should be better…

If you can have Chitinous Plate, go for it. But i don’t remember wich kind was. Insect?

[quote=“DG123, post:3, topic:2901”]Which ones in particular? I noticed a couple of good ones in the Spider category…

Also, what exactly is meant by “+8 to cut protection” (for example)?

Compared to my kevlar vest (72 or so cut protection I think?), that’s absolutely awful unless it works differently to armour. Seems to me that an exoskeleton should be better…[/quote]
You can bite bitches with your poisonous mandibles all day and you won’t need any pesky flashlights at night. And no troubles with escaping since you’re a web weaver. Go for the spider.

That’s Spider.

But doesn’t it bugger up your armour wearing ability through encumberance?

Maybe I’m not fully understanding how it works.

Chitinous Plate PF_CHITIN3 SPIDER
Requires: Chitinous Armor
Point cost: 2 / Visiblity: 8 / Ugliness: 5
“You’ve grown a chitin exoskeleton made of thick, stiff plates, like that of a beetle. It provides excellent physical protection, but reduces your dexterity by 1 and encumbers all body parts but your eyes and mouth.”

+8 to cut protection. It reduces bashing damage by 2 and cutting damage by 8.

So… is that a damage soak AND +8 standard cut armour?

Yeah, I’d presume a damage soak. You can also get such soaks via bionics.

I’m kinda partial to Beast myself, if only because Web Weaver can’t be turned off and I like to use flamethrowers. (So, leaving a trail of flammable webbing around seems like a bad idea.)

About the only ones I’d avoid would be Cephalopod, Rat, and probably Cattle (Hooves are great. Ponderous & Forgetful, not so much).

On the other hand, leaving a trail of flammable webbing behind you, getting 1000 zombies stuck in it trying to follow you, then setting it on fire has excellent potential for lulz.

Yeah. Setting your base on fire by mistake, not so much. :-/

But… I assume if you’re careful you can poop webbing onto a brazier and use it as infinite fuel for cooking?

Problem is, Web Weaver is uncontrolled, and you can’t remove your own webs (Web Weaver requires Web Walker). I’m not sure whether a brazier would accept webbing as fuel. Pretty confident that eventually the player would mistype and light the wrong square.

(Not to mention your entire …lair becoming web-clogged, so you can’t see any distance in it. I think there might have been a PR to fix that but don’t recall what happened.)

You can’t remove the webs? That seems a bit stupid. I guess that’s because melee attack and move are done with the same button.

That needs changing. Maybe make it so you can use the “smash” command to break the web?

Actually what happens if you try now?

You can smash them. Is the only way to clean webs whitout blowing them up or setting them in fire.

Actually, what’d be cool is if you could craft a drop spindle, and then when you encounter webbing you could spin it into silk thread.

Then make what out of it? Silk armor? Someone suggested it somewhere…

Good to know about smashing webs. Thanks.

Rope? I’d consider Ka’lol drinking his glass bottle of spider mutagen if he could then lower himself down holes…

On a more general note I’m finding I have trouble using certain weapons.

Why, for example, is my bolt driver bouncing off a moose without doing any damage and also having a stupidly short range?

Looks like the weapon stats in game are bugged and don’t actually make any sense at all.

Which is a problem… because I can’t tell what mutations or bionics are good because the damage stats have no relation to what I see in game.

Don’t you need an activated UPS for that one?

Also, I once lost web walker to mutagen after gaining we weaver. Being webbed 24/7 is NOT fun.

No, the UPS is for the coil gun.

Bolt driver is pneumatic and only requires bolts.

Seems to only have range 10… Which is god damn awful. And I can’t hit wildlife with it to save my life.

Although I’ve noticed that due to some weird quirk of the tile system ranges are far far higher when you aim up or town as opposed to left or right. It’s disorienting.

Well for me, the bolt driver range is quite far.