Early game water boiling

The stone pot is stupid. You can’t make a water boiling utensil out of three rocks. NO

I understand that the game is unfairly hard if you can’t boil water early on, but that is no excuse for silliness.

The following suggestion should be easy to implement, requiring only the basic modding tools to change items, no code should be needed:

1. Remove the stone pot from the game.
  2. Allow water to be boiled in tin cans
  3. Allow a leather pot to be crafted*

The remaining additions are optional but would add a lot of depth:

1. Allow water to be boiled in a plastic bottle, destroying the bottle**
  2. Increase the time the boiling recipe takes by about 10 time its current value, restrict the recipe to using bottles and tins
  3. Create a new boiling recipe that uses the pots, make this recipe take the same length of time, but process 5 units of water at a time

Even more optional (because I think it might require code changes)
7. Make any water boiling utensil a container. Make boiling recipes require filling the container (for example a pot). Then the pot of water is used in the recipe, changing it from a pot of water to a pot of clean water.***

1. (Thanks elauminx) Implement collection of clay and making pottery, firing in hot enough fire. This suggestion is probably the most intensive to implement. Perhaps there should be a separate thread for it. Pottery could add a lot to many parts of the game.

*Water can be boiled in just about anything watertight. I have boiled water in a paper cup before irl. As long as the material is thin enough the water keeps it at a maximum of 100 degrees. Paper burns at around 270 so there is no risk to the cup.

**A standard soft drink bottle warps, shrinks and weakens considerably at 100 degrees. I have filled one with boiling water before and it was ruined, but it did not leak. As noted above however the water will keep the bottle cool until the boiling point is reached. I have not attempted this but I think with a lot of care a plastic bottle could be used to boil water, but would be rendered unusable by the process and have a good chance of spillage.

***The reason for this change is that I can get a pot and still die of thirst because I have no water containers. I should be able to fill a pot with water. I should be able to drink from a pot. Yes the official reason is because it can’t seal and so it can’t be transported in a backpack. Perhaps it would be possible to set up a system where containers without lids could be filled with water but it would all spill if the container was not either in the player’s hands, or on the ground. This could be applied to jars and empty cans too.

… Well i support this but im only posting to say, boiling water in a plastic bottle doesn’t destroy the bottle until about the 4th or 5th use. So maybe just damage it until it is destroy’d ?

YES. The stone pot annoyed me immensely, although it was put in at a time when there was a lot of anguish about people trying/asking to remove stuff so I didn’t bother trying. I think as well, a lot of these ‘easy survival tools’ were put in due to a difficulty for some players to find the basic items, and a lot of deaths just from not being able to find a suitable pot.

I like the idea of plastic bottles being unusable/destroyed after boiling MUCH more. I know that technically they could last a few goes, but it makes sense and is a good use of all those bottles (it also makes the player choose over that or using the bottle for something else like fletching).

This makes a heck of a lot more sense.

In the experimental, aluminum/tin cans can be used to boil water. So one part of that is complete.

As for stone pots; it’s possible to make a stone pot out of rocks. However, that requires pretty specific rock shapes and rocks ingame are apparently one size fits all… Grinding a pot down from a stone of appropriate size is possible; but that would take a lot longer than 20 minutes.

[quote=“Blaze, post:4, topic:5762”]In the experimental, aluminum/tin cans can be used to boil water. So one part of that is complete.

As for stone pots; it’s possible to make a stone pot out of rocks. However, that requires pretty specific rock shapes and rocks ingame are apparently one size fits all… Grinding a pot down from a stone of appropriate size is possible; but that would take a lot longer than 20 minutes.[/quote]
Ehhh thats really depending on the type of rock, some rock like limestone and sand stone break down very easy and are very capable of being grinded down into a bowl shape, But i highly doubt they are gunna have lime/sand stone rocks just sitting around everywhere. But yeah if it was sand stone making a bowl in 20 minutes is somewhat possible if you got the tools and the right technique to get it into the proper shape… 2 other stones are certainly not enough lol.

[quote=“Alpha, post:5, topic:5762”][quote=“Blaze, post:4, topic:5762”]In the experimental, aluminum/tin cans can be used to boil water. So one part of that is complete.

As for stone pots; it’s possible to make a stone pot out of rocks. However, that requires pretty specific rock shapes and rocks ingame are apparently one size fits all… Grinding a pot down from a stone of appropriate size is possible; but that would take a lot longer than 20 minutes.[/quote]
Ehhh thats really depending on the type of rock, some rock like limestone and sand stone break down very easy and are very capable of being grinded down into a bowl shape, But i highly doubt they are gunna have lime/sand stone rocks just sitting around everywhere. But yeah if it was sand stone making a bowl in 20 minutes is somewhat possible if you got the tools and the right technique to get it into the proper shape… 2 other stones are certainly not enough lol.[/quote]

Remember that you have to also be able to boil it within/on that stone. I doubt very much that you’d be able to find many stones lying around which would meet the criteria to make a proper stone bowl for boiling.
You’d also need to hold it above the fire and keep it stead, all of which would be pretty difficult, and certainly a lot less easy than just boiling it in a bottle./can

[quote=“Binky, post:6, topic:5762”][quote=“Alpha, post:5, topic:5762”][quote=“Blaze, post:4, topic:5762”]In the experimental, aluminum/tin cans can be used to boil water. So one part of that is complete.

Ehhh thats really depending on the type of rock, some rock like limestone and sand stone break down very easy and are very capable of being grinded down into a bowl shape, But i highly doubt they are gunna have lime/sand stone rocks just sitting around everywhere. But yeah if it was sand stone making a bowl in 20 minutes is somewhat possible if you got the tools and the right technique to get it into the proper shape… 2 other stones are certainly not enough lol.[/quote]

Remember that you have to also be able to boil it within/on that stone. I doubt very much that you’d be able to find many stones lying around which would meet the criteria to make a proper stone bowl for boiling.
You’d also need to hold it above the fire and keep it stead, all of which would be pretty difficult, and certainly a lot less easy than just boiling it in a bottle./can[/quote]
Right and that point im not disputing, just that it would take much longer than 20 minutes to make a stone bowl, when really depending on the material you are using it could possibly be done so in 20 minutes, might not be the prettiest thing on the planet but its still do able. But yes i do want bottles and tincans to work as boiling containers as it only makes sense.

any water container really should be usable… with potential damage depending on material type, perhaps optional melting / ignition / etc tags. then the container could simply have the clean water IN it.
of course, I’m not sure if the recipe system supports things enough for that, it seems to need a bit more versatility.

Also, one thing to note, at least in PA - we have along the highways public springs. Most people have forgotten about them, but they are still there, though mostly on the older highways as the new ones don’t have them. Generally speaking, they connect to underground aquifers. The water is untreated, par se, but completely safe to drink. (where do you think mineral water comes from?) If you upped the difficulty to boiling water in the early game… well, I wouldn’t make public springs too common, as no doubt by 2040 or whenever the game takes place, they’ll be significantly less common, but there should be water supplies in the rural areas that don’t need boiling. Springs, public springs, wells, and so forth. And even if you don’t do that, its not terribly hard to loot a hotplate.

I remember years ago parking on the side of the road and heading out the the public springs not to far off, usually a small sign saying (Public springs here>) with a little path headed straight to it, you’d think during times when its difficult to get clean water people would return to these natural springs quite often, probably even begin killing each other around them or building small settlements nearby.
It would be pretty cool to see these in game on a somewhat rare scale.

As for not having a suitable container for the end result, how about letting you eat/drink straight from the pot as you finish cooking?

“You don’t have an empty container. Continue anyway, and consume immediately? (y/n)”

Strange. I never used a stone pot to boil water.

BOIL GODDAMN WATER IN YOUR MOUTH WITH A SOLDERING IRON OR HOTPLATE! LIKE A TRUE MEN!
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IuZzPDHm_5k&t=3m5s[/video]

[quote=“HeadWar, post:11, topic:5762”]As for not having a suitable container for the end result, how about letting you eat/drink straight from the pot as you finish cooking?

“You don’t have an empty container. Continue anyway, and consume immediately? (y/n)”[/quote]

“You burn your lips on the hot container”

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:13, topic:5762”][quote=“HeadWar, post:11, topic:5762”]As for not having a suitable container for the end result, how about letting you eat/drink straight from the pot as you finish cooking?

“You don’t have an empty container. Continue anyway, and consume immediately? (y/n)”[/quote]

“You burn your lips on the hot container”[/quote]

“It’s very hot. Wait for a bit and let it cool down? (y/n)”

Nothing is too trivial to micromanage.

One word… Pottery!

water -> river -> clay -> …,
eai

[quote=“elauminx, post:15, topic:5762”]One word… Pottery!

water -> river -> clay -> …,
eai[/quote]

I am embarrassed that wasn’t in the original suggestion, think it is edit time.

I don’t know what we were thinking!
Oh wait, probably this: https://www.google.com/search?q=stone+pot&tbm=isch

Funnily enough lots of stone pot making videos I see online suggest using 3 or more rocks, 1 for the pot, 1 for large chipping, and 1 for smoothing the finished project. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know what we were thinking!
Oh wait, probably this: stone pot - Google Search

I was gonna say, hand-carved (well, hand chiseled) stone pots have been used by the Native Americans to cook for hundreds of years.
Having actually made (and used) one myself when I really only had a vague idea of what I was supposed to be doing (I’m certain that the guy who did know was silently laughing at my pitiful craftsmanship), I can attest that it is entirely reasonable for a bare basic Survivor with absolutely no idea what they’re doing to craft a stone pot using nothing but what the game asks you to collect.
Though, I spent 'bout a day’s work making mine, I honestly believe 20 minutes is fair and reasonable considering that, by default, an entire season goes by in-game in all of what, 14 days?.

at the Rainbow festivals in 2013 me and my friends forgot to bring a large pot to boil water in so we resorted to boiling water small amounts at a time and pouring it into bottles with stone bowls we made, They are surprisingly easy to make if you got the patience and they dont break down the middle in the last few strikes you make on it.