Draw Your Cataclysms II

Right on. Man, I wonder what the guys who made games in the 80s and 90s must think of these programs. The dozens of hours it used to take to make such a gif, we have it pretty easy now :slight_smile:

Yeah, thatā€™s for sure. Working with layers is still a pain in the ass though. Still canā€™t figure out how to copy selections in Piskel either XD

I can say from experience, Construct 2 is great for getting your bearings with layers. If it wasnā€™t for that game engine it would have taken me muuuch longer to properly enact multiple, not to mention parallax, layers in games.

It should be improved(!), but in the meantime here are the steps:

1. choose a selection tool.
  2. select an area on the screen.
  3. copy (ctrl+c) or cut (ctrl+x) (or cmd+c and cmd+x if on Mac)
  4. move your selection (donā€™t switch tools, just click and drag the selected area, you should see the cursor change)
  5. paste (ctrl+v or cmd+v)

Thats a few steps for sure and Iā€™m guessing its not just that easy. Its never just that easy when it comes to computer programs, lol.
I will never forget the single windows error I had trying to get Perfect Dark to work on an emulator. 6 HOURS to solve one problem Iā€™ve never had to solve since, its never just that easy

2 Likes

Oh, yeah that worked. Thanks a bunch lol. I wanted to copy an arm and then mirror it instead of drawing another from scratch XD

2 Likes

Hahahahaha, awesome! Glad I could unknowingly help :smiley:
You are truly blessed by the Digital Gods today

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually the first gif Iā€™ve done using actual layers XD before I modified the individual frames themselves.

I donā€™t even want to imagine the time it took to do that. The animators for old Disney movies would probably be nodding in solidarity with you. How long did it take you doing frame by frame(and how did you maintain your sanity doing it?? lol)

Well, the last gif I did that was frame by frame wasnā€™t anything too great lol

Marine

9 Likes

We all suck at the beginning, or think we do. Rightfully or otherwise, lol. Iā€™m starting to feel like Iā€™m setting the thread off topic, in my own little way, haha. That minigun guy needs another sprite thats being ground to a pulp over and over again by the bullets. lol. Contra 2 CDDA reskin

Yeah, I might modify it later on.

Thats the frame by frame gif?

Yup. Just alternated the barrel lighting, repositioned the rain drops, added light flashes, brass drops and the belt feed.

1 Like

Though the skill isnā€™t rare these days, thats damn good. Seriously looks like a sprite Iā€™d see in an arcade game, the art style is spot on.
Its amazing what can be done with 5-10 frames.

2 Likes

Well, I imagine my art will only get better as I learn how this program works lol

Dude(tte), keep it up!

1 Like

I will. Lol Thanks again.

1 Like

For sure, lol, and for fairness sake if you produce a piece of crap I will be critical. But seeing as youā€™re not employed by EA I imagine I will only have praise. lmao

Well I only make 31x31 images and gifs. So quality is kinda out the window :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ok, that got a literal laugh out loud. Keep up that attitude and youā€™ll be working for Dice in no time :joy:

edit- no insult to people who like current Dice games, the company set themselves up to be the butt of a few jokes, not the players.

1 Like