Deonapocalypse tileset (Release 4)

Damn Deon, you make so much cool stuff! Keep up the good work, man!

I didn’t realize the tiles only implemented in the experimental build. I was using the stable. The os x experimental build link is 404. Do the tiles work through the terminal or is it something else?

Nope, it’s SDL. And of course terminal shows letters only.

Yeah, Jenkins doesn’t currently do mac builds so we don’t have any experimental builds for it available for download. You can compile your own, but be aware that page might be slightly out of date for the tiles builds.

I’m sure you’ve got some order to your work, Deon, but to me it seems like the next most important tiles are NPC graphic and constructed wall graphics (besides water, I suppose) :smiley: Anyway, loving the progress so far!

This tileset is amazing - it really, really should be the official one!!!
My only suggestions are (other than water) that the bed could do with changing a bit (it looks more like a mat or a rug) and that the player char could do with being more striking/contrasting to the background more, as sometimes when it gets a bit messy on the screen or with lots of similar stuff the player char. sort of blends in.

Thanks for all the hard work - it’s very much appreciated!

This is getting added to the mainline in addition to SirHoder’s tileset. I’ll be working on getting isometric support added as part of my tweaks to tileset loading in general over the weekend. Keep up the good work! :smiley:

I have a video here showing off the new stable release where this tileset is apparently the default. Near the end I noodle around a little in trying to compare how I feel about this tileset and Hoder’s which is also included in the 0.8 release.

DEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONN!! draws a circle in the dirt I summon you, El Dion, the Pixel Prince of Sharpness, to return to this earthly realm and continue your square artistic endeavors!!

dumps pixels into the circle and the circle suddenly becomes 32x32 square!! thunder cracks, and… !!

BY THE VERY 16-BIT SOUL OF OUR DARK LORD PIXEL, I SUMMON THEE, OH DEON!!!

ARISE AND DRAW/PAINT/DO GRAPHICS!!!

Technically this tileset is in violation of the /tg/station and goonstation r4407 licenses (CC-BY-SA), as it uses modified sprites from SS13!

This robot is almost identical, excepting the red parts, and the thickened outlines.

Additionally the toilet is, I believe, modified from the SS13 r4407 toilet sprite.

So yeah credit pls gotta abide by those licenses

Ack, and of course the example you post is the modified version of Deon’s tiles I made (just the little red mark I added for enemy indication, in this tile’s case)… But Deon’s always harvested tiles from other sets/sources, which is partly why he gets so much done so quickly :slight_smile:

Far as credit, I’m positive he’ll have no problem giving credit where its due, or at the cost of dev time add new tiles to replace it, but he hasn’t been around for a bit…

Say, Deon, would you happen to have any contact with the other big tileset maker from the old whales days?

Just browsing around the old whales forums and I found this.
http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1588.0

Wouldn’t hurt to see if we could get this guy back to Cataclysm. Doesn’t look like he’s on this forum yet.

Not to sound impatient, but is this tileset dead/in hibernation? It’s personally my favourite at the moment, and I’d hate to see it disappear!

Not sure where Deon is lately … hope he comes back soon. His is the only tileset I can use without getting a headache (lol - too small tilesets make my brain hurt).

Since we’ve noticed the last couple builds busted a lot of his tiles, I’m trying to quickly crash-course myself in simple json file coding … so I can fix the tiles recently broke and restore the set somewhat … at least til Deon shows up and works some more of his magic for us.

Edit - Here is what I threw together in an hour or so. http://ge.tt/9FKlZqz/v/0?c

Basically, I adjusted a lot of the vehicle pieces to correctly display now that the vehicle system was reworked. I made a couple arbitrary design choices to assign a couple tiles (I made the RV kitchen unit look like a sink; “trunk” space in cars look like a crate, etc) just to differentiate between tiles. I didn’t play around with any of the new monsters or items, and all that.

I don’t know the proper “etiquette” for this but I always loved this tileset (32x32 is a relieve for my tired eyes ;)) and as 0.9 added a lot of new content and Deon seems busy ATM, I decided to add as much gfxs as possible while waiting for him to update.

This are my “private” additions for this fantastic tileset (I renamed it to Raga’s so it doesn’t interfere with the original and to be able to swap back & forth once Deon returns). I have tried to follow Deon style, kept the original tileset structure, slowly added new tiles on the “blanks” while replacing the ASCII placeholders by new gfx.

I REPEAT, it’s not my intention to takeover Deon’s job or something like that… This is just a temporal “patch” for those that can’t wait for the OP to resume his job.

To Deon:
If you find this “edit” offensive just say so and I will remove the tileset. My pixel art skills are not great but feel free to scavenge anything that helps you complete your fantastic tileset… Those of us that love the 32x32 tilesets don’t have too many options to enjoy Cataclysm.

FILE MANAGEMENT & INSTALLATION:

Here is the DL link on google drive:

[color=blue]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxOjT8xhbKf7MWwxNVpMWHlHejQ/edit?usp=sharing[/color]

The .rar file contains the structure needed so the Tileset is placed correctly if you decompress it directly on the Directory you have Cataclysm installed into.

Please, be aware that if you have Goolgle Docs Viewer you will get the contents of the .rar instead. To download the full .rar (So the structure needed is kept for correct installation) use the top left “File” menu -> Download.

EDIT1:
It’s a WIP as I just add gfxs for the entities I stumbled upon my games… I will update the .rar often but I hope Deon comes back soon.

Hello.
I install ragatileset. All is fine, but i have little problem with items.
When items are pleaced on tables, or dispaly racks or on some furniture, they are invisible.
Any one know what to do ?

When items are pleaced on tables, or dispaly racks or on some furniture, they are invisible.

AFAIK it’s the default behaviour of all furniture, to hide items on top of them… But it may be defined somewhere as a flag. The Engine can definitively show 3 layers of tiles. For example, if you deploy a funnel (That has a gfx on my edit) and drop a container on it you will see on the same tile: The ground, the funnel “wings” and the container itself at the topmost layer.

Update 2: Most animals are done, added water “continuous” gfx, some guns, tools and miscellaneous parts & items.

So any ideas how to fix it or how to change that behaviour ?

I have a few tests to make but… Deon defined the behaviour as this and as I’m just “patching+adding” without altering the basic definitions of the Tileset I will not alter such foundations, sorry.