Dealing with turrets and milspec turrets (on open ground)?

Hello everyone,

I’ve dealt with lots of turrets in the labs and I’ve deactivated most of them without getting hit. In labs I just used a scrambler grendade wait for the last tick (1), opened the door and threw it and without getting hit I would’ve 100 9mm and a turret too. But this technique worked in labs because the turrets there were enclosed in metal doors and can be easily disarmed without getting hit. But in fact those turrets have actually a terrific range, good accuracy and deal heavy damage and those which are outside are milspec turrets which fire .223 Remington instead of the regular 9mm and I’ve no idea about how to deal with them. The 223 remington (or 5.56 nato both) is a quite rare (and really powerful) ammunition and I also want to gain access to those military outposts. I’ve a heavy power armor + heavy power helmet though and I’m quite sure that won’t hurt a single bit if I went to fight those turrets wearing it but it requires the player to be wearing nothing and its storage sucks; and I want to destroy those turrets without it. I’ve plenty of MBR vests (ceramic platings, steel platings and kevlar platings all of them, I could craft one with heavy plating if required), so armor is not a problem, but I really don’t want to return home with a broken limb and some 223 ammo.

I’m not very good with launchers that’s why I don’t know how to craft one and so I don’t have any (besides a flamethrower that is), but I’ve got plenty of long ranged ammunition (from 7.62x51 to 308 winchester, .30-06 and 5x50mm Flachete rounds).

Is there any way to throw these emp grenades to a long range (preferably higher than the range of a standard milspec turret, because I don’t want to get hit)?
Or is there any strategy or ammunition or equipment (not a heavy power armor) to defeat those turrets?

Please keep in mind that I don’t have any cloaking system, uncanny dodge or time dilation bionic.

And lastly is it worth destroying all those milspec turrets guarding those pesky military outposts, in other words is gaining entry into a military outpost worth it??

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for short answer: Try nightly approach. But do it in the middle of the night. Never close do dawn!

At night what is the range of the milspec turrets, I’ve not a full night vision but only light-amp goggles, aren’t those turrets suppose to be having infrared or something like that?

You can snipe milspec turrets from outside of their range even in broad daylight if your gun has enough range. I did exactly that with a Mosin-Nagant, which has an effective range of “reality bubble.”

I have exactly what you said, a mosin nagant and some 7.62 ammunition but if I destroyed them then they would not drop any ammo. And btw what actually is the range of the milspec turret (I want to know to how much distance it can actually fire accurately because I want to snipe them without getting hit).

If you are into CBMs there’s that “Artificial Night Generator” CBM that hides you pretty effective. I did not have the luck to find one recently to check if it’s fine with MilSpec turrets, but I don’t think there has anything changed to as it worked before.

Otherwise: Snipe it. Or … build a car with a turret and have a closed site with which you can approach towards to turrets (mirrors help!).

I personally would still prefer the Artificial Night Generator approach, which is of course very much endgame.

[quote=“prytoclasm, post:6, topic:8627”]If you are into CBMs there’s that “Artificial Night Generator” CBM that hides you pretty effective. I did not have the luck to find one recently to check if it’s fine with MilSpec turrets, but I don’t think there has anything changed to as it worked before.

Otherwise: Snipe it. Or … build a car with a turret and have a closed site with which you can approach towards to turrets (mirrors help!).

I personally would still prefer the Artificial Night Generator approach, which is of course very much endgame.[/quote]

I’ve heard about that CBM but I have not one. And about what you said about a vehicle with turrets, I’ve got many inactive turrets which use 9mm as ammo, but they cannot be mounted on a car; I’ve also an M249 but that uses .223 as ammunition which truly defeats the purpose of destroying those turrets in the first place. I think I’ll just go with the idea of using a long ranged gun (I’ve got a Mosin Nagant which has 78 range, I have plenty of 7.62 too so I think I’ll use it; There are more exotic alternatives like the 30-06 round but its pretty rare so I’m not gonna use it).

Build a control laptop and hack into the turrets? they ll turn friendly you can deactivate them and take the ammunition if its that which you are after.

What’s a control laptop and how do I build/craft it??

Snipe it from 37 tiles away with anything that can shoot 37 tiles or more.

If you ever find a Mk17 and slap it on your car, milspec turrets no longer have a chance.

I’m a new player so I’ve schemed against the military outpost turrets recently.

The thing about the night approach is that those turrets have a light source. They light up like a beacon in the dark. You can shoot them at 10 squares away, or 30, give or take, up to you, and they won’t fire back. This, I believe, is the simplest method.

More creative methods might be to ram the turrets with a vehicle. Using a vehicle, you have a few options. You could either ram a pair of turrets while piloting the vehicle yourself. I was told that if you install a curtain on your windshield, the turrets won’t engage you, that is if you close the curtain, cutting the line of sight. (Ludicrous!). The next option would be to remote control the vehicle into the turrets. I’m uncertain if vehicle remote control is in the game yet, but it should be at some point. Third option could be to speed a vehicle towards the turrets, and then jump out of the moving vehicle. Prepare to take damage. Again, I have not tested this myself. I simply noticed by accident that you can jump out of a moving vehicle, and the game asks you to confirm the action. Of course, if you take on a military outpost this way, you might need 4 vehicles… Five, if you plan to drive back, unless you can repair a car on the spot.

On top of that, you should be able to radio control a small toy car. My understanding is that you can attach a C4 charge on it. You can probably see where I’m getting at with this. :slight_smile:

If you have the supplies and the patience, you could theoretically craft dozens of smoke bombs and grenades, and use the smoke as cover to approach the turrets, and lob grenades at them when you get close enough.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:11, topic:8627”]I’m a new player so I’ve schemed against the military outpost turrets recently.

The thing about the night approach is that those turrets have a light source. They light up like a beacon in the dark. You can shoot them at 10 squares away, or 30, give or take, up to you, and they won’t fire back. This, I believe, is the simplest method.

More creative methods might be to ram the turrets with a vehicle. Using a vehicle, you have a few options. You could either ram a pair of turrets while piloting the vehicle yourself. I was told that if you install a curtain on your windshield, the turrets won’t engage you, that is if you close the curtain, cutting the line of sight. (Ludicrous!). The next option would be to remote control the vehicle into the turrets. I’m uncertain if vehicle remote control is in the game yet, but it should be at some point. Third option could be to speed a vehicle towards the turrets, and then jump out of the moving vehicle. Prepare to take damage. Again, I have not tested this myself. I simply noticed by accident that you can jump out of a moving vehicle, and the game asks you to confirm the action. Of course, if you take on a military outpost this way, you might need 4 vehicles… Five, if you plan to drive back, unless you can repair a car on the spot.

On top of that, you should be able to radio control a small toy car. My understanding is that you can attach a C4 charge on it. You can probably see where I’m getting at with this. :slight_smile:

If you have the supplies and the patience, you could theoretically craft dozens of smoke bombs and grenades, and use the smoke as cover to approach the turrets, and lob grenades at them when you get close enough.[/quote]

I could craft some smoke bombs and grenades but that would require dark cola or peanut butter candy and I’m in no mood for fishing out candies and cola from groccery stores. I don’t have many vehicles, and I will not want to destroy them by ramming them some milspecs. I think it would be best if I used a simple long ranged weapon against them, I’ve got plenty of 7.62 (long ranged one not the one used in AKs), so I think it would be the best idea.

Thanks.

Try using the night to your advantage and hope that you can throw far enough. Another way could be that you build a “wall vehicle”: front is completely made from boards and 1 windshield with curtains, so you drive as close as possible to them get out and throw a scrambler at them, ofc outside of their line of sight.

Schematic for it:
XXXX"XXXX
HHHHHH
X = Boards, "=windshield with curtain, H=rest of the vehicle
You can build it how you want after the “wall” part, BUT make the “wall” at least 1-2 frame broader than the rest to be sure that you can’t be seen if you step out of it.

Be careful and level up your throwing and computer skills beforehand.

[quote=“hexman, post:12, topic:8627”]I could craft some smoke bombs and grenades but that would require dark cola or peanut butter candy and I’m in no mood for fishing out candies and cola from groccery stores. I don’t have many vehicles, and I will not want to destroy them by ramming them some milspecs. I think it would be best if I used a simple long ranged weapon against them, I’ve got plenty of 7.62 (long ranged one not the one used in AKs), so I think it would be the best idea.

Thanks.[/quote]

I stopped drinking dark colas as soon as I discovered they were a crafting component! :smiley: Sodas can be turned into sugar anyway, and sugar seems rare. Vending machines seem to be full of delicious crafting components. But yeah… if I was forced to use smoke bombs and grenades and assault in daytime, I’d craft no less than 20 smoke bombs and 10 grenades before I’d mess with 4 pairs of turrets. And uhhh I guess that’s kind of plenty.

What’s a control laptop and how do I build/craft it??[/quote]

It should be in the lab journal herera? that you can find in laboratories.
Also i think it should be in another book afaik… somethig about robotics for fun i think?

you ll need a labtop an antenna hacking software and maybe something else that i forgot. You ll see when you got the journal.

[size=36pt]FUUUUCCCKKKKKK YYYYOOOOOUUUUUUUU[/size]
Meh, just joking.
Now, if you are unlike these 1337 hackers munchkins who find too much damned loot you should instead go Vietnam on their ass.
First, gather a band of NPCs. These are your arrow foddler bullet sponges meatshields best friends, and you should hide behind them.
Now, once the first wave has been annihilated dealt with, you should start using a Flame Throwe-
Crap, wrong subject, I thought we were talking about how you deal with survivor bases.

Carry on.

Well, I’ve just raided a military outpost, I destroyed 6 turrets out of 8 but only one of them dropped ammunition. I used a mosin nagant with 7.62x51mmR ammo, and it seems to work really good. I scrambled the other two using a scrambler grenade but got lots of hit; But fortunately (apart from loads of pain), I didn’t suffer much damage due to the MBR vest and army helmet I was wearing.

I think there is no way of throwing an EMP or a scrambler grenade to more distance (I think high throwing skill would work but my skill is only 7 right now and it doesn’t seem to increase much even after hours of throwing steel javelins); It would be best to forget about the 223 ammo and use my mosin nagant instead. Although I can hand load 223 ammunition but that requires rifle primers and loads of gunpowder (apart from lots of lead and casings), I’ve only crafted 9mm+p+ ammo by taking apart normal 9mm ammo (from turrets) so I think its best to just use my reflex recurve bow for slaying zombies (its more than effective and works wonders when combined with the very strong mutation).

It should be in the lab journal herera? that you can find in laboratories.
Also i think it should be in another book afaik… somethig about robotics for fun i think?

you ll need a labtop an antenna hacking software and maybe something else that i forgot. You ll see when you got the journal.

Yeah, I’ve read it on the item browser (I don’t mind being spoiler’d). I think it requires hack pro which is commonly found in USB drives, but its pointless to talk about that right now since I don’t have either of those books.

Btw, do you have any idea about on what floor levels of labs these books can be found. After exploring two floors of a lab I’ve only found lab journal dionne, smythe, gustav and some crappy chimera book besides many others (these contain recipes for some boring mutagens, serums, modified mininuke launchers and diamond weapons; too bad I don’t have the recipe for Alpha).

The book can be found on any floor of a lab afaik.
So it seems you have been unlucky.
If i recall correctly they most commonly spawn in the the rooms with the teleporter pads and the square table in the middle.