Milspec Turrets

What the hell, how did military camps go from being pushovers to being near-impossible? How do you fight these things? The milspec searchlights, turrets, the anti-materiel turrets… After dying many times suddenly to them I went in with full kevlar + riot armor, 200 speed (meth + cocaine), 3 LAW rocket launchers, fusion gun, and a fully-kitted AR-15 with rifle scope and I still get instagibbed before I even get within range. You can’t go in at night anymore either. Is all that really necessary for a bunch of military IDs and irradiated hotdogs?

Psst, hey, mate, hey, over here.

Word on the street is, those blokes are only half done. About as bright as a parakeet. Pay about as much attention too.

This took a bit for me to figure out, so I’m only going to give you a hint: They rely 100% on direct line of sight.

Last I checked, anti-materiel didn’t spawn at military facilities–only roadblocks. But I’ve no problem if someone upgraded 'em.

Also, ultra-long range rifles can take 'em out easy. Or throwing if you’re high enough level.
I used the pebble gun.

[quote=“charcharmunro, post:4, topic:7246”]Also, ultra-long range rifles can take 'em out easy. Or throwing if you’re high enough level.
I used the pebble gun.[/quote]

I tried that from about 20-30 tiles away, didnt work out well to keep it short.

I found I could take them within their range by ducking in and out of cover between shooting with a savage or a fn-fal. If I got hit I’d use medkits to get to full health before resuming. I think I had winter survivor armor on at the time. It was a wooded area. I bet you could take them with a railgun easily too.

approach at night. pop from cover. use a LAW.

go at night and snipe them all with stell bolts from crossbow or get cloaking cbm and directional EMP cbm and “some” power just deactivate these turrets with emp

I’ve tried all these tactics (except the cloaking CBM) and I’ve always gotten killed the instant I try. They have a range over 30 so hardly any weapon can reach that far; LAW shots also tend to hit fences, shrubs, etc. and blow up prematurely. This is also with 10+ in every relevant skill and high stats.

you went at night?

i have faced these things twice now. The first time i went at night with unskilled rifles+pn. bolt driver. Result: driver takes too long for the kill = i’m dead.

The second time, it was really easy. At night, with bolt driver = 2HKO and the turret didn’t have time to respond…
I’d use a LAW at night for best results though, or RC explosives maybe?

I tried a few times at night with no light source and they always see me fine every time.

Ferromagnetic railgun. Range of like 60-70. Near perfect accuracy.

Then you’re doing something wrong. I don’t know what it is, but I know you are.

Ah, I discovered why - it’s the searchlights, not the turrets doing that (obviously). I reloaded an earlier save that I tried like 5 times on, and when I went to the nearby base none of the searchlights spawned. That way I could get reasonably up close, at least enough to finally shoot my fusion gun.

So how are you supposed to deal with them when there are searchlights?

Break them?

[quote=“Teldin, post:14, topic:7246”]Ah, I discovered why - it’s the searchlights, not the turrets doing that (obviously). I reloaded an earlier save that I tried like 5 times on, and when I went to the nearby base none of the searchlights spawned. That way I could get reasonably up close, at least enough to finally shoot my fusion gun.

So how are you supposed to deal with them when there are searchlights?[/quote]

Combination of smoke grenades and normal grenades might do it, by the sound of it you might also be able to rig up a vehicle to provide portable cover that will break LOS. Couple of CBMs that could help as well. Thinking about it, RC cars with splosives are probably a good bet.

On the topic of nasty things, how scary are tankbots? Can I take one out with a high powered rifle or is this an explosives only job?

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:16, topic:7246”][quote=“Teldin, post:14, topic:7246”]Ah, I discovered why - it’s the searchlights, not the turrets doing that (obviously). I reloaded an earlier save that I tried like 5 times on, and when I went to the nearby base none of the searchlights spawned. That way I could get reasonably up close, at least enough to finally shoot my fusion gun.

Combination of smoke grenades and normal grenades might do it, by the sound of it you might also be able to rig up a vehicle to provide portable cover that will break LOS. Couple of CBMs that could help as well. Thinking about it, RC cars with splosives are probably a good bet.

On the topic of nasty things, how scary are tankbots? Can I take one out with a high powered rifle or is this an explosives only job?[/quote]

They shoot tank shells at you from +50 tiles away.

They do have a small range (a ring 3-4 spaces across at a certain distance) at which they can’t target you at all purposely programmed in though. Find that sweet spot and stay in it and you should be able to take them down without being able to retaliate (IIRC there is an email note about it somewhere in the game).

[quote=“Teldin, post:14, topic:7246”]Ah, I discovered why - it’s the searchlights, not the turrets doing that (obviously). I reloaded an earlier save that I tried like 5 times on, and when I went to the nearby base none of the searchlights spawned. That way I could get reasonably up close, at least enough to finally shoot my fusion gun.

Uh…evade…the searchlights???

KA101 is not sure why that is a difficult idea. Some sort of tiles problem?

[quote=“KA101, post:19, topic:7246”][quote=“Teldin, post:14, topic:7246”]Ah, I discovered why - it’s the searchlights, not the turrets doing that (obviously). I reloaded an earlier save that I tried like 5 times on, and when I went to the nearby base none of the searchlights spawned. That way I could get reasonably up close, at least enough to finally shoot my fusion gun.

Uh…evade…the searchlights???

KA101 is not sure why that is a difficult idea. Some sort of tiles problem?[/quote]

I havent seen a searchlight, turrets still seem to be able to find me in the dark, I figured the lights homed in on gunfire?