Acetylene torches and labs

Just wondering if this was just coincidence or this actually happens. I found out from here that the torches can melt through metal doors (and it’s pretty cheap too, needing only 10 charges). I only found one military ID card 50 days since I started this playthrough, so I decide to try it out.

Top level I use the card out on a bunker, then below I melt down those doors, no problem with that. So I decide to try that on a nearby lab. I don’t have an ID card, so I melt down the entrance. The moment the door turns to scrap, there’s a turret standing just a few spaces in front of my character, peppering me with bullets multiple times in a row.

Amazingly, it did barely any damage and the only thing that got damaged at all was my player’s suit, which was destroyed (though in fairness, I liked the suit since it made my player so dapper). Anyway, do turrets get summoned if I use it on the initial entrance of labs/bunkers, or was this just a coincidence?

If you break into a place without using the correct passcard, the turrets will spawn in order to end your unpermitted intrusion.

Basically, it will happen all the time, as far as I know…

Edit - Not sure why the turret didn’t wipe the floor with you though. That seems strange…

The lab and bunker turrets are always there, is the action of using the keycard what removes them.

If you use in the underground (Military Bunker), this action did not spawn another turrets (so you only need one military id to full acess of a bunker).

[quote=“JazzGuru, post:2, topic:9275”]If you break into a place without using the correct passcard, the turrets will spawn in order to end your unpermitted intrusion.

Edit - Not sure why the turret didn’t wipe the floor with you though. That seems strange…[/quote]

Near everything I’m wearing is covered in kevlar via a tailor’s kit, including somehow the reading glasses. Some chitin gear, couldn’t put kevlar on them but they provide nice defense, some survivor gear, and alloy plating on arms and torso. Good strength and dexterity, if that helps as well. But yeah, after waiting quite a bit while the turret kept firing on and on and on, I’m seriously amazed that I came out unharmed, minus a good suit.

It was a nice suit too. So very dapper.

[quote=“Azrad, post:5, topic:9275”][quote=“JazzGuru, post:2, topic:9275”]If you break into a place without using the correct passcard, the turrets will spawn in order to end your unpermitted intrusion.

Edit - Not sure why the turret didn’t wipe the floor with you though. That seems strange…[/quote]

Near everything I’m wearing is covered in kevlar via a tailor’s kit, including somehow the reading glasses. Some chitin gear, couldn’t put kevlar on them but they provide nice defense, some survivor gear, and alloy plating on arms and torso. Good strength and dexterity, if that helps as well. But yeah, after waiting quite a bit while the turret kept firing on and on and on, I’m seriously amazed that I came out unharmed, minus a good suit.

It was a nice suit too. So very dapper.[/quote]

LOL - Reinforced reading glasses? That reminds me of the bug that was around last year, where someone ended up with a reinforced raccoon corpse… :slight_smile:

Okay, I kinda figured out how I managed to survive that turret. Labs only have ordinary turret. I created a character to test it out, so once again in a lab; turret showed, and I made sure to give it the same armor setup and it pretty much withstood the barrage without much of a scratch. Tried it on a bunker on the other hand with a torch, instead of the normal turret, it was a milspec, which murderized that guinea pig.

acetylene torch work on doors? i allways used pickaxe…

Perhaps somewhat relevant: I found stairs leading into the BACK of a military barracks inside a lab. No turrets spawned.

Also on a side note: All those (tailor kit-) modded armors end up weighing a lot, but it seems waaay too easy to just tough out machine gun fire these days. I walked up to a turret the other day with a full suit of leather-padded armor and just cut the thing down with my katana. Got caught in the explosion, but all I suffered was a little bit of pain and a little bit of damage. Kind of saddens me.

i remember when i breaken inside military bunker without id (i had something about 10 science id)
after hard fights with milspec turrents i managed to get inside nearly dead
decided to get downstairs

i entered lab what is few tiles away while i had 10 science id cards

That’s only true for the civilian-level turrets - the basic 9mm ones. I’ve never survived a single round of fire from a milspec turret, no matter what I was wearing. One round of fire, torso is gone (with little damage anywhere else).

Haven’t tried power armor.

That’s only true for the civilian-level turrets - the basic 9mm ones. I’ve never survived a single round of fire from a milspec turret, no matter what I was wearing. One round of fire, torso is gone (with little damage anywhere else).

Haven’t tried power armor.[/quote]I have, though it involved some heavy Kevlar and superalloy armor. Those things do hurt - if only because of their burst size. I lost a promising character during a night raid on a military outpost to some of those not too long ago. Thought I could hit them safely with my LACP pistol…but then I took a wrong step and instantly got hit by literally 90+ shots.

Rejoice, for basic and heavy power armor are completely impervious against the milspec turret menace, and reinforced light power armor should be as well.

I remember once being killed by a milspec turret when it shot through my superalloy vest + dragonskin vest + light survivor suit. Lesson learned: respect the milspec turret.

Rejoice, for basic and heavy power armor are completely impervious against the milspec turret menace, and reinforced light power armor should be as well.[/quote]

Looking at the armor stats on power armor… can ANYTHING hurt you in heavy power armor? I assume spitters auto-hurt you (like bloody ALWAYS), and probably shockers as well (unless you have that one bionic powered up), but really, what else could possibly do it if milspec turrets can’t?

Rejoice, for basic and heavy power armor are completely impervious against the milspec turret menace, and reinforced light power armor should be as well.[/quote]

Looking at the armor stats on power armor… can ANYTHING hurt you in heavy power armor? I assume spitters auto-hurt you (like bloody ALWAYS), and probably shockers as well (unless you have that one bionic powered up), but really, what else could possibly do it if milspec turrets can’t?[/quote]

[size=18pt]R tank drone[/size]
[size=18pt]R chicken walker[/size]

I seam to remember being taken down by an army of irradiated wanderers while doing some debugging in heavy power armor.

Also more obvious stuff like Fire and Suffocation.

Spitters will first melt the armor, then you.
Fire can kill you and wreck the armor (but won’t scorch the armor when you’re not wearing it).
Direct hit from a tankbot main gun will gib you if it hits torso or head at some OK accuracy (not grazing).
Some powerful explosions (including tankbot main gun) can damage you through the armor.

Shockers can’t do anything, because the armor explicitly protects from electricity.

Looking at the armor stats on power armor… can ANYTHING hurt you in heavy power armor? I assume spitters auto-hurt you (like bloody ALWAYS), and probably shockers as well (unless you have that one bionic powered up), but really, what else could possibly do it if milspec turrets can’t?[/quote]

Not of the normal stuff can. Unless you can get a power helmet, you need a good helmet.

The drawback of power armor. You need a power armor frame, which allows 120 volume, which isn’t a lot. But it’s good for busting in and out of things.

Mil bunkers are really easy. Try the hack. If that fails you can break the wall between with Sledgehammer/jackhammer. Bring a shovel. Or dig around the outside and come in that way too.

Since the loot is usually in the middle spread out ther’s very little chance of a cave in smashing any of it.
Then mount that flamethrower on the car and watch it blow you up.

One additional thing about labs and bunkers:

Teleporting yourself inside the building (via teleporters, that one CBM that lets you walk through walls) will still spawn the turrets. I lost a guy once thinking that that would work.