Smg turrets on the streets

so apparently turrets in cities are a thing now, that doesnt make any sense, am i the only one having a feeling some things are just off i mean why on earth there would be turrets on city streets?

They have been set up by police or millitary personel to help in blocking a road / fighting of insurgence.

The operators are dead though.

Turrets apparently weren’t good enough to just wreck you in science labs and military bases, now you can get wrecked whilst walking on a road as well! WHOOOHOOO!

But yeah, what Valpo said. The turrets have gone haywire and proceeded to annihilate everything on sight.

Another reason I think they added them in is so you have to be more CAREFUL rather than just holding down that up arrow and powermoving across the roads! Watch out for those things because you’ll get shot in THE FACE!

They don’t belong randomly parked in city streets.

They are not ? They spawn at baricades. Which can spawn on any road.

They’re trivial to spot from afar, their existence is adequately explained by the lore, they have a role in the game and aren’t anywhere near overpowered.

The only thing that doesn’t make sense about them is the whole “zombies don’t register as human”, which doesn’t work from realism point of view.

how do you spot them when they are in the middle of freaking town? game is easy everything is trivial, sure

game lore oh yeah they could put klingon pony mounted zombies if they wanted and said its lore so yeah that totally convinces me its ok to put turrets in the middle of town

[quote=“rdx, post:7, topic:8000”]how do you spot them when they are in the middle of freaking town? game is easy everything is trivial, sure

game lore oh yeah they could put klingon pony mounted zombies if they wanted and said its lore so yeah that totally convinces me its ok to put turrets in the middle of town[/quote]

You spot them with your eyes.
you might get unlucky running directly into a turret but ist quiet unlikely.
Your rant isn t constuctive at all. pony mounted zombies might perhabs be possible … but klingons realy? not everything can be justified by the lore .

im almost sure every time i ran into turrets in town they were already in firing range

and who decides whats lore ‘ok’ an what is not? there is no rule for this, some will say everything they put into game is ok and cool while others will disagree, the fact that someone think its good coz it can be explained by lore should not stop other ppl from thinking its not ok even tho some say its lore friendly (and i honestly dont care if its lore friendly, its frustrating to see turrets inside city)

of course one can be of opposite opinion but i think most people agree on the current lore and the implementation based on it beeing sensible. If not you can discuss that … but then add reasons ass to why it isn t.

Which turrets and what frustrates you about them?

they used to be restricted to places like bunkers and labs, military zones etc. something you would expect to have some automated defense (i simply stay away from such places when im not prepared), what doesnt make sense is now they spawn in civil areas and i cant find any reason why they should be there, theres nothing special to guard there, is that house different than dozen other houses? maybe now every house should have 2 turrets sitting outside
it almost feels like its a ‘lazy’ way to make staring new game even harder, i spend few minutes creating char then i run into turrents in city and end up deleting the world, its like a gm roll a dice at the start of session and say ‘oh sorry you just died’

Well setting up a basic turret isn t hard for those who have access to it like the millitary.
And thus them using them arround a baricade they set up to fight of zombified people is sensible and lore friendly.
Its also reasonable that they did operate in and arround citties. trying to keep things under control.

Yeah the rng can kill you… but unless you literrary spawned in a house with a turret inside it wont directly kill you.
You might open a door or window and get shot then as well.

But apart of these rare scenarios you can still avoid them.
When they are in your vision range they are not in firing range so unless you are unlucky enough to run into one arround a corner you can still easily avoid them.

I understand your frustration somewhat. but try to master this enemy … you ll see you ll get the better of them.

[quote=“Valpo, post:12, topic:8000”]Yeah the rng can kill you… but unless you literrary spawned in a house with a turret inside it wont directly kill you.
You might open a door or window and get shot then as well.[/quote]

This.

I like the Missed background (or whichever one it is where you start in town), and I once got mowed down by a turret the instant I stepped out of the first house. Seriously, I opened the front door, moved one tile outside, and died the next turn. My shortest-lived character EVER.

Please alter the Missed background to where it won’t pick a house right next to a fucking turret.

I heard people say they had a tank drone spawn just outside the evac shelter… well never seen that myself bu thats gunna wreck your day .

It has been suggested to denie the spawn of such enemies near your starting location but i think it hasn t been implemented.

git gud
Or just use the “radar” on the sidebar, while moving like you expect danger rather than strolling through the town like you own it.

Then move around like you expect road barricades. SMG Turrets shine brightly, spawn only in the middle of the street, have predictable spawn locations, don’t see in the darkness and have a relatively short range.

Avoiding turrets isn’t rocket surgery. Just take care and don’t blame the game for your own errors.

Tank bots, chicken walkers and mines can be bullshit if rng hates you. SMG turrets, in vast, vast majority of cases are simply incapable of being bullshit.

[quote=“Vivisector 9999, post:13, topic:8000”]I like the Missed background (or whichever one it is where you start in town), and I once got mowed down by a turret the instant I stepped out of the first house. Seriously, I opened the front door, moved one tile outside, and died the next turn. My shortest-lived character EVER.

Please alter the Missed background to where it won’t pick a house right next to a fucking turret.[/quote]
Notice the curtains on the house you spawned in are drawn? You might want to examine those curtains and take a peek outside before striding straight out the front door. I fail to see how your scenario is any different than there being a brute hanging out in front of your house, if you just walk straight out without being careful, something is eventually going to gank you.

I’ll try that next time.

However, those two scenarios are actually very different. My build uses the Black Belt profession (with one of the martial arts traits), and so Brutes are not very scary to me. It’s Hulks and Bio-Operators and especially Shocker zombies that I have to be careful of, as those can fuck you up if you try to melee them. So among the other things you have to scramble to find in the early game, I have to locate a weapon I can use if (when) I encounter those. And my build doesn’t allow a lot of points for other things, so I have to build up my technical skills the hard way, too.

But you know, that’s part of the charm of this game - you have that input into what kind of challenge it’s going to be.

I just wish that input included not having turrets (which can murder pretty much any starting character) right on top of your spawning point.

You could just make it one of the options. Then the player could have it either way, as they prefer. “Hot damn! I could get killed if I go out the door rather than a window! HARDCORE!” or “Okay, princess, no turrets on your doorstep. Want us to start you with a pair of mittens, too?”

Creature blacklist mods are very easy to write. Just look at existing mods like classical zombies. No programming skill needed, no recompiling of the game needed, no tools needed (except text editor) - just copy the folder, rename it and edit some IDs.
IDs can be found in data/json/monsters.json.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:18, topic:8000”]Creature blacklist mods are very easy to write. Just look at existing mods like classical zombies. No programming skill needed, no recompiling of the game needed, no tools needed (except text editor) - just copy the folder, rename it and edit some IDs.
IDs can be found in data/json/monsters.json.[/quote]

A constructive suggestion, I’ll grant - and I appreciate that.

However, it’s not that I want turrets blacklisted entirely. I just don’t want them in a certain area. I don’t see a field for that in the file you mentioned. Is possible to alter monster spawn locations with these files?

No, that would require some not-so-minor alterations of mapgen or player placing code. Blacklists support only outright bans on certain monsters and items.

While it obviously is possible, I don’t think that anyone is going to do that anytime soon. It’s not that much of a problem (house you start with has curtains, peek through them with ‘e’ before getting out to avoid turret kills), it requires learning (or knowing) the mapgen code and might be actually more work than it sounds.