Cutting Nodachis down into Katanas

So during my latest playthrough I got my hands onto a Nodachi and that was great and all but at the same time I was a bit disappointed because I like Katanas way better.
This made me think, since the Nodachi is just like the Katana but really long wouldn’t it be possible to just cut some of the blade off and thus turn it into some kind of ghetto Katana?
(Given that the character has a tool with a certain metal sawing quality and a certain skill in fabrication of course.)
Or is that just some insanely dumb idea of mine?

Who would want to violate a perfectly fine nodachi like taht? It never did any harm to you ? How could you even think of this?
You monster D:

On a more serious note:

The weapon would not be balanced anymore and the blade would have been dmged.
Thats a rather bad tradeoff.

But i mean you could do it so why not xD (poor nodachi)

Hacking apart a perfectly good sword? Stupid.

To make it smaller? A little bit less stupid.

It’d be easy to do. Take a look in data/json/recipes/recipe_weapon.json

Edit: huh, seems as if there’s actually historical precedent!

To make it smaller? A little bit less stupid.[/quote]

[size=18pt]![/size]

You’re a ninja, the only time you’d have any use for a nodachi is disguising yourself as a samurai. It’s completely impractical for any sort of sneaking operation.

[size=18pt]![/size]

You’re a ninja, the only time you’d have any use for a nodachi is disguising yourself as a samurai. It’s completely impractical for any sort of sneaking operation.[/quote]

Not if you have a bag of holding, and any old trenchcoat would hide one just fine :stuck_out_tongue:

[size=18pt]![/size]

You’re a ninja, the only time you’d have any use for a nodachi is disguising yourself as a samurai. It’s completely impractical for any sort of sneaking operation.[/quote]

Not if you have a bag of holding, and any old trenchcoat would hide one just fine :p[/quote]

Yee boi

Anyway, If cutting down a nodachi gave you a separate item (You’re not gonna turn it into a katana, what with sword balance and all that) such as “cut down nodachi” I would be fine.

I’m pretty sure not even a trenchcoat is big enough to hide a nodachi. Also, nodachi->katana=no, but nodachi->sawn off nodachi would be okay I guess, although it would be a little unwieldy.

Why would you possibly want to turn down this cutting power? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kX3fwxQ0g

Now onto the actual stuff about swords and things: Cutting down a Nodachi wouldn’t really give you a Katana, the Nodachi is thicker and with a slightly different curve profile, meant to take advantage of an increased length and weight to serve as a heavy cavalry weapon. Ideally, you’d get a Cut-down Nodachi item.

That said it’s like 200% more feasible that a Japanese sword would be able to be cut down into a functional weapon than a European one doing the same.

Rule number one: never store anything capable of puncturing a bag of holding, inside the bag of holding. The thing spills it’s contents inside-out like a vomiting wormhole, but mostly it just wrecks all your stuff.

As for cutting a sword shorter, I figure it’s kind of like sawing off a shotgun barrel? You win some, you lose some. Necessity will dictate if the tradeoff is worthwhile or a waste of a perfectly good weapon.

SRD 3.5 says it ruins all your stuff as soon as it is pierced (“pierced” suggests that a needle should be enough).

Not to get too far off topic but SRD doesn’t really state much of what happens to the stuff after it rips. It’s not like it used to be where you could weaponize two bags of holding.

TELL ME

Sure, if you have to stay in the same tile for 10 turns focusing on your slash, like Bruce does there, I’ll let you bisect a hulk in one blow. You too can impress onlookers and get slow-motion replays.

(Mostly of you getting sent flying when it hulksmashes you, since you can’t both dodge AND focus on your slash.)

Sure, if you have to stay in the same tile for 10 turns focusing on your slash, like Bruce does there, I’ll let you bisect a hulk in one blow. You too can impress onlookers and get slow-motion replays.

(Mostly of you getting sent flying when it hulksmashes you, since you can’t both dodge AND focus on your slash.)[/quote]
This. +Cut damage whenever you don’t move for a few turns while letting you cut down arrows or bolts and a bonus to dodging guns at point blank. Could be called Way of the Warrior or something.

No.

This sounds like a martial style thing, and a fairly reasonable one.

Protip: Unless you’re actively attacking someones arms or otherwise disrupting their aim, you cannot dodge a gun at point blank.

That said, I’d like to see a bracing/hold-position based melee style. Especially for when/if leaping enemies stop leaping at random and actually do it to initiate an attack. Ideally it would give braced players a damage bonus or counter-attack against leaping or charging enemies.

You can dodge someones aim though.