Cutting Nodachis down into Katanas

[quote=“Datanazush, post:19, topic:8153”]Protip: Unless you’re actively attacking someones arms or otherwise disrupting their aim, you cannot dodge a gun at point blank.

That said, I’d like to see a bracing/hold-position based melee style. Especially for when/if leaping enemies stop leaping at random and actually do it to initiate an attack. Ideally it would give braced players a damage bonus or counter-attack against leaping or charging enemies.[/quote]
I probably could have worded the idea better, but then again I wasn’t expecting it to be taken seriously… The standing still thing would be separate from the other bonuses. Like Valpo said, you can see where they are aiming at point blank, so it should be possible to move out of the way right before they fired. Its probably simpler to just say you are interfering with their aim by attacking aggressively, but I don’t know how that would work code wise.

The other two abilities are purely there for some samurai theme and could easily be switched out. Maybe a spear or staff fighting theme would fit the idea better, and would have less overlap with ninjutsu (and sword techniques). Perhaps an ability that lets you set a spear to receive a charge?

Dodging bullets (or at least their aim) could be limited to cbm related reflexes if it ever becomes a thing.

Edit: Since tone is hard to hear on the internet, I would like to point out that my tone in the last post was intended as a joke since the idea is being taken seriously. Putting two ridiculous samurai moves next to the “focus to cut a hulk in half” seemed funny to me at the time… If anyone is interested in an actual samurai inspired martial art I can go look up some actual techniques. Iai would be the first ability, which lets you quick draw sheathed weapons.

[quote=“Purplewisp, post:21, topic:8153”][quote=“Datanazush, post:19, topic:8153”]Protip: Unless you’re actively attacking someones arms or otherwise disrupting their aim, you cannot dodge a gun at point blank.

That said, I’d like to see a bracing/hold-position based melee style. Especially for when/if leaping enemies stop leaping at random and actually do it to initiate an attack. Ideally it would give braced players a damage bonus or counter-attack against leaping or charging enemies.[/quote]
I probably could have worded the idea better, but then again I wasn’t expecting it to be taken seriously… The standing still thing would be separate from the other bonuses. Like Valpo said, you can see where they are aiming at point blank, so it should be possible to move out of the way right before they fired. Its probably simpler to just say you are interfering with their aim by attacking aggressively, but I don’t know how that would work code wise.

The other two abilities are purely there for some samurai theme and could easily be switched out. Maybe a spear or staff fighting theme would fit the idea better, and would have less overlap with ninjutsu (and sword techniques). Perhaps an ability that lets you set a spear to receive a charge?

Dodging bullets (or at least their aim) could be limited to cbm related reflexes if it ever becomes a thing.

Edit: Since tone is hard to hear on the internet, I would like to point out that my tone in the last post was intended as a joke since the idea is being taken seriously. Putting two ridiculous samurai moves next to the “focus to cut a hulk in half” seemed funny to me at the time… If anyone is interested in an actual samurai inspired martial art I can go look up some actual techniques. Iai would be the first ability, which lets you quick draw sheathed weapons.[/quote]

Please do; martial arts are all JSON at the moment and we’ve been looking for a good kenjutsu style. Iaijutsu is already available as a function of scabbards, FWIW.

And I thought that video wasn’t a great example of “why you should use a nodachi” because he took a over a minute (by video timing) to actually make the slash. It those mats were a hostile (such as a hulk) that warranted massive power output, he wouldn’t have the time to stand around bracing and prepping and such before swinging the nodachi.

So this thread now is about Shounen Anime Ninja fighting style stuff? Well at least it got somewhere.
But back to the topic: I mean it doesn’t have to be a straight up Katana if cut down, just an “imbalanced Katana” with worse stats would be fine too. And maybe give the option to rebalance that through smithing or something later on.
Also, I get it now. Nodachis are truly superior, never in my life I will reject the most glorious of Nippon-Steel once again!

snip[/quote]

Please do; martial arts are all JSON at the moment and we’ve been looking for a good kenjutsu style. Iaijutsu is already available as a function of scabbards, FWIW.

And I thought that video wasn’t a great example of “why you should use a nodachi” because he took a over a minute (by video timing) to actually make the slash. It those mats were a hostile (such as a hulk) that warranted massive power output, he wouldn’t have the time to stand around bracing and prepping and such before swinging the nodachi.[/quote]
Well, I’ve gotten CDDA to load without errors with all of the code for the style, I just need to figure out how to actually get it to show in-game, so I can test it. The style is based around dodging, with a stationary dodging bonus (which I can’t find the code for anywhere), and perception gives minor bonuses as well. For now I’ll just put the code into spoilers, so that anyone looking it over could correct any mistakes I have likely made, without having to download anything. For testing I switched the stationary buff, with a movement buff. I’ll probably start a new thread next time I have an update, so that this one doesn’t get too off track.

The first martial arts style is based on Miyamoto Musashi’s Book of Five Rings. For anyone that doesn’t know, Musashi is typically regarded as the Sword Saint, and one of the strongest fighters to ever live. While that sounds very impressive and all, I didn’t choose the style just for that reason. For one, alot of the modern styles don’t want to show any real techniques or documentation. The second, more important reason, is that the book Musashi wrote is perfectly suited for CDDA (its not likely that you would find anyone practicing an ancient foreign style afterall). Finally, the fighting style is very balanced and is a nice middle ground from the other two styles that inspired me (which I’ll be writing up later).

Alot of the ideas discussed in the book seem to be more about the strategy of the move, rather than how to practically replicate the move yourself. Thus this would require alot of skill to understand and learn from yourself. It should be fairly rare as well, it could be found wherever katanas are found, perhaps with a % chance to find it along side any Japanese weaponry.

[
{
“type” : “martial_art”,
“id” : “style_niten”,
“name” : “Ni Ten Ichi Ryuu”,
“description” : “A balanced fighting style that values balance and versatility above all else”,
“static_buffs” : [
{
“id”: “niten_static”,
“name” : “Precise fighting”,
“description” : “Damage bonus from perception”,
“melee_allowed” : true,
“min_melee” : 2,
“cut_per” : 0.3,
“bash_per” : 0.3,
“dodge_per” : 0.5,
“bonus_dodges” : 2
}
],
“stationary_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “niten_stationary_buff”,
“name” : “Biding your time”,
“description” : “You set up a defensive posture”,
“buff_duration” : 2,
“max_stacks” : 2,
“dodges_bonus” : 1,
“block bonus” : 1,
“dodge_per” : 0.5
}
],
“ondodge_buffs” : [
{
“id” : “niten_set-up”,
“name” : “In-One Timing Set-Up”,
“description” : “You found a gap in the enemy’s defense!”,
“melee_allowed”: true,
“req_buffs” : [
“niten_stationary_buff”
],
“buff_duration” : 2,
“max_stacks” : 1,
“cut_mult” : 2
}
],
“techniques” : [
“niten_water_cut”,
“niten_red_leaf”,
“niten_stone_cut”,
“niten_timing”,
“niten_timing_attack”,
“niten_feint”
]
}
]

[
{
“type” : “technique”,
“id” : “niten_water_cut”,
“name” : “Flowing Water Cut”,
“messages” : [
“You strike powerfully at %s”,
“ strikes powerfully at %s”
],
“cut_mult” : 1.2
},{
“id” : “niten_red_leaf”,
“name” : “Red Leaf’s Cut”,
“min_melee” : 3,
“down_dur” : 2,
“You knock over %s with the force of the strike”,
“ knocks over %s with the force of the strike”
]
},{
“id” : “niten_stone_cut”,
“name” : “Fire and Stone’s Cut”,
“min_melee” : 4,
“You put the weight of your body behind your strike and stun %s!”,
“ puts the weight of their body behind their strike and stuns %s!”
],
“cut_mult” : 0.5,
“bash_mult” : 0.5,
“stun_dir” : 2
},{
“id” : “niten_timing”,
“name” : “Timing of Two”,
“min_melee” : 4,
“crit_tec” : true,
“You hit %s as they attempt to dodge your feint”,
“ hits %s as they attempt to dodge their feint”
],
“cut_mult” : 1.5
},{
“id” : “niten_timing_attack”,
“name” : “In-One Timing”,
“min_melee” : 6,
“req_buffs” : [
“niten_set-up”
],
“You quickly strike at an opening in %s defenses!”,
“ quickly strikes at an opening in %s defenses!”
],
“cut_mult” : 2,
“bash_mult” : 1,
“quick” : true,
“stun_dir” : 1,
“speed_mult” : 0.5
},{
“id” : “niten_feint”,
“name” : “feint at”,
“defensive” : true,
“miss_recovery” : true,
“You feint at %s”,
“ feints at %s”
]
}
]

All of the moves are based off of the Book of Five Rings wikipedia page, I’ll be looking over the actual book if I can find a translated copy, so consider the moves placeholders if the wiki is inaccurate. All stats are placeholders as well.

Edit: Once I’ve gotten this to work I’ll probably work on a more modern style such as Kendo.

OK. Currently we don’t have a skill test for getting the style into your known-styles list: instead, we set the techniques available at higher levels. Kenshi power might happen around 7-8 Cutting (set min_cutting rather than min_unarmed).

Well, I can test it easily enough by calling it style_karate. Everything works pretty much, so I can move on to making the moves make sense for CDDA.