Corpses, corpses everywhere

Any area the player sets up shop for an extended period will inevitably become littered with dozens of animal corpses killed by acid rain. This is, well, untidy. I wander around butchering them all into rotten meat which will then decay, but it’s hard to keep up.

I propose one of two different fixes

1. Critters killed by acid rain do not leave a corpse. They just dissolve.

2. Corpses will decay into nothingness over time, just like meat

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

I love the survival and meat gain I get from it, but I hate having to go out and actually do it.

I don’t understand ninja’s post.

Also, I agree with OP’s 2nd idea.
The rain can dissolve a turret to nothingness.
I’m sure it can do the same to a rotting corpse.
I shouldn’t have to butcher it into little rotten pieces to get it to decompose.

Although I’m not restless for this idea’s fruition as the “grab and go” piles of leather and bones hangs around conveniently.

I’m pretty sure Ninja Strongly Supports the first idea.

Corpses decaying… uh, I suspect the Blob, though it has no mouth, might have something to say.

KA101 sends in some Zombie Critters to frolic with Cherry

I would agree that losing a source of Resources is frustrating, but can accept acid rain damaging or destroying corpses. Possibly a floating chance (based on corpse size) to dissolve it?

I don’t know about you guys, but butchering for me is really not that big of a deal, like it takes a few seconds and it’s done. Whats grinds my gears is bones n’ shit all over the place.

Like, you only need so many bones before they become useless, and being 1 volume each, they aren’t worth taking. But having all these random piles of bones and crap all over the place really makes my stuff look ugly and clutters everything and lags the game.

[quote=“WaffleEggnog, post:5, topic:5161”]I don’t know about you guys, but butchering for me is really not that big of a deal, like it takes a few seconds and it’s done. Whats grinds my gears is bones n’ shit all over the place.

Like, you only need so many bones before they become useless, and being 1 volume each, they aren’t worth taking. But having all these random piles of bones and crap all over the place really makes my stuff look ugly and clutters everything and lags the game.[/quote]

I think the problem isnt the actual butchering, its that if you butcher it/leave the corpses, its just gonna attract more animals, which die in the rain, which attracts more, which die etcetcetc. Thats how one of my longest lasting characters died, getting in a car crash, crawling back to my house and the 20 wolves realizing I was weak and mauled me.

Better solution, stop acid rain from killing animals.
Also corpses don’t attract anything.

That also works, I’d just assumed it was an intended feature :).

I thought I read somewhere that corpses attracted predators…Ohwell.

it was originally, but there’s a fundamental consistency problem with weather that kills all animals caught in it, but only if the player is around, and similarly with random objects melting in the acid rain, which is that when you go elsewhere the animals aren’t dead and all the items aren’t melted.
So we’re remaking acid rain as only causing pain to exposed skin, which means the animals will be unhappy but not dead, and it makes sense for there to be intact items outdoors.

That’s a good solution. I was going to suggest that animals hide under trees or butrow, but it’s easier…

As long as the acid puddles that form during acid rain still do damage I think this is a nice balance.

Those have been removed.

Wha- why?! That was the one part of acid rain that made me stay inside!

Yeah, and a reason why I wanted the high pain = death thing. shrug a well

Making acid rain non-dangerous seems a bit of a step backwards. I don’t like the idea of getting rid of something else that can kill you - acid rain seems to be a great gameplay concept, as if you’re stuck outside you have to make the interesting choice of either going into somewhere possibly more dangerous or stand outside and get badly hurt/die. Even with pain/morale penalties, the fact it can’t kill you makes it a even more annoying.

I get that it’s annoying sometimes though, but it gives you a sense of urgency if you’re exposed to the elements.
Just making it dissolve animals completely would be good, or making animals run off ( to ‘find cover’ and then be fine) would be ok either.

Yeah I definitely think acid rain should be much more dangerous. So what if people n00bs complain that it makes the game too hard? It’s a fucking Roguelike for Christ’s sake, Roguelike as in it’s easy to get killed and hard to survive for very long. Roguelike as in you can’t just go wandering around in the gameworld without making preparations. Roguelike as in almost everything you encounter has a level of danger so you have to be careful.

If lethal acid rain is too much for you then go back to Call of Duty. This is OUR Cataclysm and we want the game to be hard.

I suspect we really need to get that googledoc decently formatted and linked.

Because last I checked, we don’t actually have any fucking in Cata, so it’s not a fucking roguelike. I understand that a fucking roguelike won that ascii-dreams poll, though, so you should be able to find it without too much trouble. The poll’s linked from the front page (en.cataclysmdda.com , for me).

As for me, I want people to be able to enjoy the game. Harsh weather effects (that only apply when and where the player happens to be) undermine my fun, apparently Kevin’s, and quite possibly others’ as well. Some parts may be tougher than others, but I’ve never devved difficulty for difficulty’s sake.

Indeed. Maybe later we could add a more rare form of acid storm that actually caused damage to things, but I’d like to the get the game to a point where it can reliably replicate that even in places the player isn’t (and AI to the point where monsters/animals would take cover in said storm and would only die if they couldn’t, including in areas where the player currently isn’t) before we add it.

Pleas read my rationale. I’m not changing how acid rain because it makes things “too hard”, I’m changing it because it doesn’t make any sense. If it kills animals, why are there any alive? If it melts items, why are there any left?

Having the animals hide (disappear) isn’t a bad idea.