Acid Rain: Pain is worse than death

So, I was just playing a pretty powerful character. Kicking hoards of zombie ass and overall doing a pretty good job at spawn rate 50.

So then suddenly what happens?

Acid Rain

Suddenly I am completely disabled and can’t fight at all. I get killed by a zombie necromancer in a few turns. I tried to make it to the shelter but no dice.

In DDA acid rain has stopped doing damage and instead deals a lot of pain in order to prevent random death.
Unfortunately while this doesn’t hurt you, pain in Cataclysm is pretty damn bad. The actual damage that Acid Rain did before wasn’t as big of a problem as this in my opinion.

I highly suggest carrying around a raincoat or umbrella if you feel like you might be beset upon by acid rain. Both of them can provide some measure of protection against the acid.

When I was in the military, we used to have some equipment and a waterproof sheet that could be set up into a tiny shelter if necessary. Maybe that could be added into military spawns? I think shelter-like items could stand to be a bit more common, there’s no shortage of items that could probably be cobbled into a makeshift shelter.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:2, topic:5252”]I highly suggest carrying around a raincoat or umbrella if you feel like you might be beset upon by acid rain. Both of them can provide some measure of protection against the acid.[/quote]Or pot. Lots and lots of pot.

This is a good idea.

tarp?

[quote=“Bonevomit, post:1, topic:5252”]Suddenly I am completely disabled and can’t fight at all. I get killed by a zombie necromancer in a few turns. I tried to make it to the shelter but no dice.

In DDA acid rain has stopped doing damage and instead deals a lot of pain in order to prevent random death.
Unfortunately while this doesn’t hurt you, pain in Cataclysm is pretty damn bad. The actual damage that Acid Rain did before wasn’t as big of a problem as this in my opinion.[/quote]

Know when to stop killing, and get into the nearest house/building/what have you. Was kinda your fault.

This is a good idea.[/quote]

PR’d.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:7, topic:5252”][quote=“Bonevomit, post:1, topic:5252”]Suddenly I am completely disabled and can’t fight at all. I get killed by a zombie necromancer in a few turns. I tried to make it to the shelter but no dice.

Unfortunately while this doesn’t hurt you, pain in Cataclysm is pretty damn bad. The actual damage that Acid Rain did before wasn’t as big of a problem as this in my opinion.[/quote]

Know when to stop killing, and get into the nearest house/building/what have you. Was kinda your fault.[/quote]
The problem is that it started and I was out in a field. I headed back to the shelter as the rain began(with zombies following), but it pretty much paralyzed me.

Also tents and other stuff like that won’t help if you haven’t acquired them obviously.

Sounds like you just had a stroke of bad luck.

As long as the tarp doesn’t take a zillion volume like a tent, I would consider taking it on non-deathmobile adventurers into the non-city.

We need basic powder that prevents acid from damaging you for a while. Made from bones or fat. Also it could be used with weak acid to create saltwater that can be cooked into water.

I would say reduce the pain of acid rain considerably and have it injure the player, but never over something like 75% of any body parts health.

That way you still have a chance to escape and the acid rain can’t outright kill you.

Well, you could make a tarp with a few sticks and a sheet.

Could make it into a construction thing.

Maybe there should be a recipe that allows you to sew together enough waterproof materials, like raincoats or nomex patches, into a waterproof tarp. Then you could carry it around and turn it into a makeshift shelter with enough sticks or pipes or similar items.

Ahem.
*Raises eyebrows suggestively

[quote=“Bonevomit, post:12, topic:5252”]I would say reduce the pain of acid rain considerably and have it injure the player, but never over something like 75% of any body parts health.

That way you still have a chance to escape and the acid rain can’t outright kill you.[/quote]

I don’t know if that’s such a good idea after all the acid rain revamps recently. Wasn’t the whole deal with remaking it to cause major pain but not straight-up injury because it was inconsistent with how it worked otherwise? I think it’d be better to add in more ways to mitigate the problem that people would come up with in real life.

Ahem.
*Raises eyebrows suggestively[/quote]
Y u ignore suggestion?

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:7, topic:5252”][quote=“Bonevomit, post:1, topic:5252”]Suddenly I am completely disabled and can’t fight at all. I get killed by a zombie necromancer in a few turns. I tried to make it to the shelter but no dice.

Know when to stop killing, and get into the nearest house/building/what have you. Was kinda your fault.[/quote]

On the other hand, I think the rate at which acid rain causes pain could stand to be looked at. If it really does cause pain too quickly for the average player to respond to, maybe it could stand to be slightly tweaked.

Yes.

Also basic salve, reduces acid rain damage. Worn like clothes but absorbs all acid rain damage, naturally deteriorating in the acid.

Acid rain still destroys clothing right?