Cheer up! It's a Cataclysm out there. [WIPTiles 16x16]

Aha! Thanks a lot, I will remember to add a tile for that.

Aswell as work on the cars… somehow… Will definitely prioritize fixing missing objects like that.

Ash piles!

Haha! I am almost tempted to claim that as artistic license. I mean, it is a -potential- ash pile is it not? It has the potential of burning, just as all things do! Ash piles everything!

But for real I will fix these two bugs now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Right! Ash and Palisade Pulleys added in. Please do excuse the grass tile background I used for both. I used it as the background tile because Palisades already all use it, and ash… well it tends to be the result of shit burning down, so I guess it would just be bare ground.

Seems for things like these you absolutely have to declare a background as it stands now, unless you want it to go all black-square.

New files: http://ge.tt/9uJ2wdv/v/0?c (Also in main post)

I love this, will so be grabbing the first release!

It has already been “released” - As in you can download it and try it out now.
As I have said before it should be playable, it has all the monsters and basic tiles in there, plus it helps me with finding missing stuff when others play it :slight_smile:

Your titleset looks very nice, clear and simplistic. I like your depictions of the monsters, especially the zombies.

Downloaded and giving it a try, though I can’t guarantee that this will sway me from the ASCII. But good job nonetheless, I’m sure there are others who would appreciate an addition the titlesets. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Thank you! I’ve updated the appearances of about six or seven more monsters today, redesigning a few of them entirely.

Currently I am working on the vehicles, I don’t feel like it is clear enough exactly what is what…

That is a screenshot of my testing as it stands right now, The darker bits you can walk ontop of, the shaded ones that appear edged are walls - But the problem is the light blue with a darker splotch in them - Those are both inside and outside, and can sometimes be walked on, but other times they are “windshields” so you cannot.
I’ll try to make the best compromise I can with how the system works right now and release the next version with updated monsters and vehicles later.

I think 1 tile = 1 ASCII symbol, so if there are multiple car parts using the blue " symbol, they are going to be represented with the same tile in tile mode.

Grabbed the tileset, will be giving it a spin soon.

Yeah, and that was my theory aswell, but neither of the tiles are ever reused for another object, they are used for frame_v and frame_h

My running theory after trying to figure out if it has to do with where they are placed or how many of them are in a row is that these vehicles have been created in the code by different people - or just have been created without a specific care for which, since in ASCII they both look exactly the same on the vehicle map.

So I am not sure if I can fix it as it stands now. Also found a few other oddities where some special tiles will display just fine - meanwhile windshields, which do appear to be declared will not.

Hey, really nice looking tileset. I think I’ll be using this from now on.

One suggestion: I noticed you defined the ‘unknown’ object to reference a blank position in your png (position 54). The net effect of this is that any object that is not defined correctly in your json will be invisible in-game. This may not be a problem for people running an unmodified 0.8, but it makes your tileset unusable with any mods or newer releases that add new objects or rename existing ones. The fix for this is pretty easy, just add a generic ‘unknown’ symbol to your tileset, something like the circle-backslash symbol that hoder used.

Thank you!

Yeah, I am adding back in the unknown tile, it will simply say “No Tile” so that people in experimental builds understand this is due to the build being experimental - And perhaps it reminds them to come tell me in the thread with pictures.

I would do a symbol otherwise, but I prefer it to be obvious to the player that the object is not yet added. (Rather than thinking it’s just some abstract thing)

Yeah, that works - thanks!

BTW, experimental replaces the old ‘gfx.txt’ tileset config with tileset specific configs, which are then selectable in-game in the options menu. If you want to add support for this, you just need to add a ‘tileset.txt’ file to your archive with the following content. (This file should be ignored by 0.8, so including it shouldn’t affect people not running experimental.)

#TSU'S TILESET
#Name of the tileset
NAME: tsu
#Viewing (Option) name of the tileset
VIEW: Tsu's
#JSON Path - Default of gfx/tile_config.json
JSON: gfx/TsuTileset/tile_config.json
#Tileset Path - Default of gfx/tinytile.png
TILESET: gfx/TsuTileset/tsutiles.png

Thanks for that, I’ve added in a tileset text file, so for experimental users they should be able to add a folder named Tsutiles along with Hoder and Deon’s - and it should work just fine from the options menu.

I am also releasing the updated version of the set, with inclusion of FEMA camp assets, eight or so monster redesigns/tweaks, And additions of about five or six things that did not exist before.
Oh and I made the cars red. Cause they’re hotrods.

http://ge.tt/9wMTyiv/v/0?c V0.3

Cool man, looks good. I’m starting up a game on 0.3 now.

One more suggestion if you want to make your tileset more usage with experimental (and presumably the next version as well):

If you’ve played around with experimental at all, you probably noticed that cars don’t display correctly - they show up as ‘unkown’ tiles. This problem appears to be due to a change a couple weeks that renamed all the vehicle parts.

I found the new vehicle parts names in the file ‘data/json/vehicle_parts.json’. What I’ve been doing is just going through the ‘tileset_config.json’ file and replacing all the old ‘vp_*’ part names with the new names from ‘vehicle_parts.json’.

If you wanted to fix this officially in your tilset, I think you could do it one of two ways: i) provide a second ‘tileset_config.json-experimental’ that uses the new vehicle part names, or ii) try defining each vehicle part name twice in a single file - once with the old name, and once with the new name. (Not sure if this second method would work, it would depend on unrecognized names being ignored.)

If you want to take a shot at supporting the new names, I’ve included a mapping from old to new below:

OLD_NAME,NEW_NAME
"vp_seat",“seat”
“vp_saddle”,“saddle”
“vp_bed”,“bed”
“vp_frame_h”,“frame_horizontal”
“vp_frame_v”,“frame_vertical”
“vp_frame_c”,“frame_cross”
“vp_frame_y”,“frame_nw”
“vp_frame_u”,“frame_ne”
“vp_frame_n”,“frame_se”
“vp_frame_b”,“frame_sw”
“vp_frame_h2”,"frame_horizontal_2"
“vp_frame_v2”,"frame_vertical_2"
“vp_frame_cover”,“frame_cover”
“vp_frame_handle”,“frame_handle”
“vp_board_h”,“board_horizontal”
“vp_board_v”,“board_vertical”
“vp_board_y”,“board_nw”
“vp_board_u”,“board_ne”
“vp_board_n”,“board_se”
“vp_board_b”,“board_sw”
“vp_aisle_h2”,“aisle_horizontal”
“vp_aisle_v2”,“aisle_vertical”
“vp_floor_trunk”,“trunk_floor”
“vp_roof”,“roof”
“vp_door”,“door”
“vp_door_o”,“door_opaque”
“vp_door_i”,“door_internal”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“door_trunk”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“door_shutter”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“door_sliding”
“vp_window”,“windshield”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“reinforced_windshield”
“vp_blade_h”,“blade_horizontal”
“vp_blade_v”,“blade_vertical”
“vp_spike_h”,“spike”
“vp_wheel”,“wheel”
“vp_wheel_wide”,“wheel_wide”
“vp_wheel_wide_under”,“wheel_underbody”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“wheel_unicycle”
“vp_wheel_bicycle”,“wheel_bicycle”
“vp_wheel_motorbike”,“wheel_motorbike”
“vp_wheel_small”,“wheel_small”
“vp_wheel_caster”,“wheel_caster”
“vp_engine_gas_1cyl”,“engine_1cyl”
“vp_engine_gas_v2”,“engine_vtwin”
“vp_engine_gas_i4”,"engine_inline4"
“vp_engine_gas_v6”,"engine_v6"
“vp_engine_gas_v8”,"engine_v8"
“vp_engine_motor”,“engine_electric”
“vp_engine_motor_large”,“engine_electric_large”
“vp_engine_plasma”,“engine_plasma”
“vp_engine_foot_crank”,“foot_pedals”
“vp_fuel_tank_gas”,“gas_tank”
“vp_fuel_tank_batt”,“storage_battery”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“small_storage_battery”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“battery_motorbike”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“battery_car”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“battery_truck”
“vp_fuel_tank_plut”,“minireactor”
“vp_fuel_tank_hydrogen”,“hydrogen_tank”
“vp_fuel_tank_water”,“water_tank”
“vp_cargo_trunk”,“trunk”
“vp_cargo_box”,“box”
“vp_controls”,“controls”
“vp_muffler”,“muffler”
“vp_seatbelt”,“seatbelt”
“vp_solar_panel”,“solar_panel”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“reinforced_solar_panel”
“vp_kitchen_unit”,“kitchen_unit”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“minifridge”
“vp_weldrig”,“welding_rig”
“vp_m249”,"m249"
“vp_flamethrower”,“flamethrower”
“vp_plasmagun”,“plasma_gun”
“vp_fusiongun”,“fusion_gun”
“vp_steel_plate”,“plating_steel”
“vp_superalloy_plate”,“plating_superalloy”
“vp_spiked_plate”,“plating_spiked”
“vp_hard_plate”,“plating_hard”
“vp_head_light”,“headlight”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“horn_bicycle”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“horn_car”
“NOT_DEFINED”,“horn_big”

Really appreciate the multitude of feedback you are giving, Thanks a lot for that.

As for the broken cars, I worked with GalenEvil on that tonight and have added all the missing tiles and fixed a .json file I sent his way. So it is being looked into already, and when it is functionally in the experimental build I will release the working experimental tilemap here :slight_smile:

Grabbing 0.3 now to test with today’s experimental.

See PR #3561 for the updated vehicle tile support.

Sweet, if that means I can test with it, I will have a working tileset for it in a few hours.

Add a few hours to the ETA of this, because I cannot get any tileset for vehicles to load on the current experimental build.

Galens fix does not appear to have been merged, so I cannot work on fixing the tileset. - I found this out by rooting around in the vehicle files on the latest build and nothing worked, then I tried some of the old tilemap code and woosh, the cars looked like crap again.

So when it merges I will sort it out.