Character Visualizer

I wonder, how easy would this be… and sorry if its been suggested before.

a static graphic / paper-doll-ish visualizer for how your character is equipped.

Using pixel art or something similar, have a viewer that reads what clothing is worn, and what weapon is equipped, from the character, and creates an image for you.

I think this could be cool for immersion, to help see what your character has become, to aid in the imagination - to my limited knowledge it seems like it wouldnt need much coding ability, just artistic ability to make art of various weapons and clothes, place them on a static male/female “statue” , but the problem being, how would you have this option, how would it be integrated into the main program potentially?

The game runs on (curses?) and only supports ASCII as far as I know. It’s basically an even-spaced text document that rapidly changes depending on how the code is run. There’s no way to make this feasible.

Pretty much. You might be able to do some sort of basic outline shaped thing, but it would be hell trying to get it to work right and look nice.

This (http://innawoods.net/) is a pretty good one for all your tacticool character needs.

HIBOU WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT I LOVE IT

The site is as old as the hills, my dear friend, a legend that transcends time. Also a friend recommended it to me.

so i decided to make my character from before my mutation spree

FRIGGIN AMAZING!

AHEM.

So back to the suggestion, I think he was asking IF it could be integrated in the game. Otherwise I think it’d work as an external program that reads your save. I don’t know about coding it, but we have several capable artists here that might be able to contribute.

does that accept some standard data input? we could easily have a function to dump the character’s loadout if it does.

If someone makes another aplication just like Innawoods, i’d be more than happy to help with the art.

(At least an outside-cata app)

Yeah, an external app would be easier, it would just read the save file for worn items.

Integrated into the main program might work with SDL version? but would be of limited appeal to most, an external app that reads the data would be ok for me to be honest,

like with Dwarf Fortress you have external apps that visualise things too based on the game data.

and that website is exactly how I imagined it looking, - the appeal to me would be , that I’ve gotten a bunch of survivor armour, and a gas mask, and a kick-ass assault rifle, I feel lucky, I feel kick-ass stomping about the apocalypse, but I wanna know that I look awesome too!

You could not have said it better!

like this?

[quote=“yonsisac, post:14, topic:6127”]
like this?[/quote]

Ascii Sector, huh?

It could be like that, yeah. It has been suggested before, and i personally love it. However, i think people want a more graphical approach.

but is still beter than nothin for now it wuld be cool ading this and later on inproove it and they can use this from ASCII sector as a blubprint so its mush more esier

I think drawing all that stuff could lead to funny results considering the fact that it is possible to wear a trenchcoat over your backpack. There are many silly ways to wear clothing in C:DDA. Then you would also have to consider the state of clothing (reinforced, normal, ripped, …). You would have take the layering into account. Also, not only the clothing would matter, but also the mutations the player managed to accumulate. And many of the bionics as well. And then you’d have to make drawings for ALL items for wielding. And possibly the item states as well …

If this is ever going to happen, it would take a huge amount of work, that’s for sure.

Besides, in case you haven’t known: C:DDA is no longer a purely console game, there are SDL builds, too.

true but…well i got nothing but atliest make it very simple to now were is the clothe located but if they do make that with drawings that wuld be amazing but like you said…

I think drawing all that stuff could lead to funny results considering the fact that it is possible to wear a trenchcoat over your backpack. There are many silly ways to wear clothing in C:DDA. Then you would also have to consider the state of clothing (reinforced, normal, ripped, …). You would have take the layering into account. Also, not only the clothing would matter, but also the mutations the player managed to accumulate. And many of the bionics as well. And then you’d have to make drawings for ALL items for wielding. And possibly the item states as well …

If this is ever going to happen, it would take a huge amount of work, that’s for sure.

yea but totaly worth it

Well… we are not forced to make ALL the states of clothes, or all items. Clothes are pretty generic now, happily. Bionics could go later, and mutations too.

yea make a simple 1 like it colors the body area that hase cloth on it and you activate it and see what ar the cloth it has on in that body
area